Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 04:57 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

I received a "robot call" and the message said something like, "Hi. I am calling from United Healthcare AARP Supplement to ask about your health. Please call this number . . ."

I have been on a United Healthcare Medicare Supplement for five years, and this is the first time I have received a call like that. Has anyone else received such a call? And if so, what did they ask?

I am thinking that I am just going to ignore it.

P.S. I just Googled my question and there ARE scams going on about this. Another reason I am questioning this is because it was a 978 area code, and United Healthcare calls all start with an '8--' area code from what I can see online.

P.P.S. I just looked up the number they left and it IS a spam call, according to this: https://directory.youmail.com/phone/978-802-3052

Last edited by katharsis; 02-08-2024 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 07:16 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I received a "robot call" and the message said something like, "Hi. I am calling from United Healthcare AARP Supplement to ask about your health. Please call this number . . ."

I have been on a United Healthcare Medicare Supplement for five years, and this is the first time I have received a call like that. Has anyone else received such a call? And if so, what did they ask?

I am thinking that I am just going to ignore it.

P.S. I just Googled my question and there ARE scams going on about this. Another reason I am questioning this is because it was a 978 area code, and United Healthcare calls all start with an '8--' area code from what I can see online.

P.P.S. I just looked up the number they left and it IS a spam call, according to this: https://directory.youmail.com/phone/978-802-3052
UHC used to provide a nurse that would ask about your health care & how you are managing. You would be assigned a nurse to call each time. The nurse could set up a date & time to call. They have discontinued this service.

In some UHC plans they may try to bundle exercise & other services. You don't have to get it.

It appears in your case it was a scam call. The scammers are good at using fake numbers to impersonate someone else. They may be trying to sell you an Advantage plan. What they need is your Medicare info.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:02 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I got one of those calls recently. I deleted the message and went about my day.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:05 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
I just got one of these today. My caller ID said "UNITEDHLTHCARE" instead of a number. I didn't answer and they left the same kind of message. I just did bring up my call history and it was a 978 number so I used the reverse look up link above and sure enough it came back as Medicare Insurance Spam.

Sad that they are now changing their caller ID. May try to see how I can report it to UHC.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:36 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
I had this call several weeks ago and just ignored it, thinking it was a scam, or if not, that it wasn't any of their business since I hadn't filed a claim.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:48 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
My mom used to get this call from her health insurance each year. After explaining that mom was in assisted living with dementia and that I was successor trustee a couple of times, I stopped answering the calls. They couldn't seem to comprehend what I was telling them. I remember them telling me that they would have to verify the information I gave them, but each year, it was like I had never talked to them previously. After mom died, I got another of these calls. As part of handling mom's post-death affairs, I talked to someone from this health insurance company, and told them they needed to stop these calls.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:49 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
I got the same call from "UHC" and ignored it. Call spoofing by telemarketers and scammers are rampant nowadays. They are always phishing for your personal info. If I need to talk to UHC I'll call them. Otherwise, I don't want to hear from them. All I want from them is to pay my bills when I go to a medical service provider. Otherwise, I'll take care of my own health.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:46 AM

13 posts, read 11,656 times
I received a similar call from Wellcare (I have their Part D plan) requesting that I call "regarding my prescription". I suspect that these Insurance companies are calling to "upsell" their Medicare Advantage plans. Apparently, companies are allowed to place telemarketing calls to their existing customers.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I got the same call from "UHC" and ignored it. Call spoofing by telemarketers and scammers are rampant nowadays. They are always phishing for your personal info. If I need to talk to UHC I'll call them. Otherwise, I don't want to hear from them. All I want from them is to pay my bills when I go to a medical service provider. Otherwise, I'll take care of my own health.
My feelings exactly. Don't call me, email me, or text me. Just pay my bills.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle55 View Post
I received a similar call from Wellcare (I have their Part D plan) requesting that I call "regarding my prescription". I suspect that these Insurance companies are calling to "upsell" their Medicare Advantage plans. Apparently, companies are allowed to place telemarketing calls to their existing customers.
I also got that one and had just by coincidence happened to request a refill that morning. It's only $3 without insurance so I don't use my Wellcare.

So at first I thought it could be legit, but the second question was "in order to verify your identity, please enter your birth date."

Uh, no. Your auto dialer called me. Not giving you any personal info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement