Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 07:38 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

I moved out at 17 (graduated HS a year early). I took care of my own affairs, neither received nor expected financial assistance from my parents. I don't recall any gifts or offers either. I lived with one of my brothers the first summer but other than that, was on my own. This was 1974.

As a result, I was pretty much an "18 and out" kind of parent, but my kids (graduated 1997 and 2004, respectively) were at the tail end of where that was feasible. College is much more expensive and student loans more predatory these days. EVERYTHING else is more expensive too. It's much more common for kids to "boomerang" -- in fact I have a 31 year old stepson living with us, although mostly because he's disabled.

I would not romanticize my age of financial independence, nor assume it's applicable today. The days when you could get a great union job after an apprenticeship and live the American Dream on the resulting income is pretty much over with. Heck, the days when a 4 year degree guaranteed a solid income is questionable; you often need a graduate degree to even have a shot at that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 07:57 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
By the time I got into college, I was self sufficient. I stayed at home because it was in state, but college didn't cost them a dime. I paid my own way.

Got a job, saved for another two years, then moved out of state to grad school.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:03 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
16 and it was rough , absolutely no help. I could not live at home, it was a toxic nightmare with a very controlling, domineering , messed up sister.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:06 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
17. Not given a choice. No other options & no assistance.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:19 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As a result, I was pretty much an "18 and out" kind of parent, but my kids (graduated 1997 and 2004, respectively) were at the tail end of where that was feasible. College is much more expensive and student loans more predatory these days. EVERYTHING else is more expensive too. It's much more common for kids to "boomerang" -- in fact I have a 31 year old stepson living with us, although mostly because he's disabled.
There's a related thread going on in the Philosophy forum about "attaining adulthood", where I made a comment along these lines, about how much harder it must be for young people nowadays to start out on their own.

I already had a job as a senior in high school and started apartment shopping as soon as I turned 18. When I graduated in June I already had an apartment lined up and moved out within a few days after school was done. I was able to afford my own studio apartment at $285/mo working a no-skill minimum wage job.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:23 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Just curious, how old were you when you achieved total independence from your parents? Moved out, they no longer paid any bills for you or made major purchases for you (cars, down payments on homes,). Gifts don't count, of course.

I was 20, I think, I lived with my dad through 2.5 years of college, then wanted to move in with my sister. Dad said fine, but you can take over paying for your college. I had money saved up, so I did.

Feel free to add observations about your own kids as well as yourself. Please no generational bickering, "kids these days" etc. I have to moderate this forum.
I wish it were that simple. Total independence involves far more than financial support. Ask any abused or ignored kid.

Total independence comes when you understand that any parental support is unreliable or fraught with nasty hooks. For some of us, it comes early.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:54 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
I enlisted in the US Coast Guard at the age of 18 and grew up real quick. In four years I went from a high school dropout who had never been away from home to a first class petty officer.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I did not become independent until I was 21 and married.

However that was fairly late as in Australia, in 1970 as an example, less than 25% of students finished high school. Also in my state, prior to 1968, high school was only for five years.

The majority of people prior to that left school at 15 or 16, after the third year of high school. They took apprenticeships, entered nursing, secretarial school, banks and the police force. Even for those who did complete high school, they generally became teachers after two years, could become solicitors (but not barristers) by training on the job. Less than 10% started University and many did not complete.

So obviously it was much easier for people to become independent at a much earlier age than now.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:06 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
18 went to serve our country in Korea.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:06 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
21 when I finished college. I went to grad school but paid my own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement