Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 10:33 AM

30,551 posts, read 16,240,407 times

Advertisements

If one or two people don't understand you, it's probably them. If nobody understands you it's probably you.

methinks your oversize ego is showing. Almost a God? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 10:52 AM

24,606 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, YES.

Once, I was the woman whose batteries never ran down (how I would refer to myself as "Kara") but I am no longer like that, so I am looking for suggestions and what better place to look but a retirement forum. It is reasonable, yes, to expect that others at this age must have experienced such or similar?

I must admit, given the responses I am getting, that I am beginning to think that the reason why people don't understand, don't know where I am coming from is that they have never been almost a God, if only figuratively speaking
.Well, for one thing, that PSA I quoted previously states that's a fool's folly.
Tamara this is a bit heavy even for you. Scotty beam her back down to the farm. and take away her gummies!

Eather you learn how to do things or you do not. There is internet, UTube, libraries, community colleges, senior groups and trial-error. If all that fails you pay someone to do things.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:56 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,228,655 times
The OP is difficult to follow but seems like the thread is about the loss of status and support that comes from an upper-echelon management career or something of that nature. I suppose it depends on how much your job/role/title defines you. I have had some senior roles of this nature but they did not define me. Even while in the roles - I have dealt with those below me with sympathy, empathy and respect and tried not to be affected by flattery.

Now, I don't have anyone working for me in the organizational sense (only in a project context) but stay focused on the interesting aspects of the challenge and the bottom-line impact the client, on me personally and for my firm in which I am a partner. I have found that one earn respect based upon what brings to the table and don't miss the ego trip one bit. As for retirement, I'd be happy to shed the responsibilities and see what follows.

Last edited by kavm; 01-04-2024 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-04-2024, 10:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
.......Eather you learn how to do things or you do not. There is internet, .........
Well, I am asking on the Net, aren't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If one or two people don't understand you, it's probably them. If nobody understands you it's probably you.

methinks your oversize ego is showing. Almost a God? Really?
Ever see Doctor Who "The Horns of Nimon"? There is this section in the play:

SORAK: Soldeed, it sometimes occurs to me to wonder exactly why the Nimon is doing this for us. I mean, to be blunt, what's in it for him?
SOLDEED: Sorak, you dare to question?
SORAK: Well, to speculate, Soldeed. Not to question, merely to speculate.
SOLDEED: Sorak, you must understand the Nimon. The Nimon is as a god to us. It pleases him to be godlike, to receive tribute and to grant us power. We want that power, so we give him the tribute he asks, or rather, we get Aneth to do it for us.

So what is that in my terms? It is sharing my wealth with others. It is rescuing the hurt who are desperate. It is being someone others can refer the task to when they can't be there. It is being like Brian Blessed as "Prince Vultan" to inspire others.

Now, as to all those things, I can still do them, more or less. Somewhere, though, there are probably things I can't do that I did before, such as, well, I can't push myself anymore into time and fuel (food) extremes, can't pay forward my needs, like I once did.

But, sigh, I will just put it down to that this forum doesn't know the answers and leave it at that.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
When you no longer have the power, you are no longer responsible for!

Saving the world is overrated!

Old 01-04-2024, 11:23 AM

7,159 posts, read 4,557,147 times
The answers lie within each one of us. My answer isn’t yours especially given your highly unusual approach to life.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:25 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Well, I am asking on the Net, aren't I?

Ever see Doctor Who "The Horns of Nimon"? There is this section in the play:

SORAK: Soldeed, it sometimes occurs to me to wonder exactly why the Nimon is doing this for us. I mean, to be blunt, what's in it for him?
SOLDEED: Sorak, you dare to question?
SORAK: Well, to speculate, Soldeed. Not to question, merely to speculate.
SOLDEED: Sorak, you must understand the Nimon. The Nimon is as a god to us. It pleases him to be godlike, to receive tribute and to grant us power. We want that power, so we give him the tribute he asks, or rather, we get Aneth to do it for us.

So what is that in my terms? It is sharing my wealth with others. It is rescuing the hurt who are desperate. It is being someone others can refer the task to when they can't be there. It is being like Brian Blessed as "Prince Vultan" to inspire others.

Now, as to all those things, I can still do them, more or less. Somewhere, though, there are probably things I can't do that I did before, such as, well, I can't push myself anymore into time and fuel (food) extremes, can't pay forward my needs, like I once did.

But, sigh, I will just put it down to that this forum doesn't know the answers and leave it at that.
I suspect there are a lot of us who do know the answers to your questions, if you know the questions to ask. Were you Navy or USMC? What rank were/are you? Knowing that may help us understand your questions.

In this case you might first look at the poem "Ulysses" by Tennyson.

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are, --
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM

14,957 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Okay, look at it this way.

Serena Ikara spent her life always in charge, and by age 30, because of her success in the company, she had secretaries and assistants to help her, take care of her non business life.

But, she is now 70, she has retired, she no longer has staff, she no longer holds the power. Does Western society offer a means to adjust to a way of life that she has not known for decades, if at all?

Personally I'd think it's up to her to figure it out.

Old 01-04-2024, 11:50 AM

11,062 posts, read 6,655,273 times
I don't have anyone on "ignore" but a few I do skip over and don't read. Like all these posts into some fantasy world.

But the answers are entertaining so I read those.

From these I glean that this is about losing "power" in some way. We all "lose it" as we age. It's tough and I hate that part, but it's just reality.

It's a form of loss of identity and no one likes that. Recreating oneself in retirement is a tough one. Part of the reason we retired to a condo----not surrounded by endless physical tasks to accomplish that we aren't up for anymore.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:17 PM

36,430 posts, read 16,038,061 times
OP, I wish you would recite your story as your own life, not a fictional or non fictional character. Your own life, your own story. It's extremely hard to understand and relate to that way.

There aren't many people who have achieved success monetarily or otherwise, consider themselves, Almost God. Unless they are extremely ego centrical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement