Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2024, 08:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If she’s wealthy enough she hires staff to take care of the mundane tasks that are beneath her. If not she does them herself.
Well, she's just an example.

The question is really about anyone retiring in similar situations. The question of, how does one learn to live when it use to be so easy, doing whatever, but now it is not because they no longer are powerful or are not in that position or other similar situations.

Say, like retired General Westmoreland. There was a news article, long ago, of how there wasn't any room at the hotel or restaurant (or something like that) and he and his family left and went elsewhere. The article went on, for a sentence, of how once that would not be the case, things would move for him, but no longer.

Now, for retired Generals, there are probably support programs of some sort. But for others, not so well known or problems not so well known, like menopause is (to an extent), how does one handle it? Are there philosophies that others know of?

SO, not for one or two examples, BUT looking at a big picture......well, I guess I am looking at one aspect of Grey Liberation, of how to handle it when people no longer listen to you because you are old and without power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wih5mPUJvGc
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 09:36 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
The question of how does one learn to live when it used to be so easy, doing whatever, but now it is not because they no longer are powerful or are not in that position or other similar situations??? Life of powerful people (or generally people in high professional positions) is NOT easy :-). It is not that it "used be so easy", and now it is not because "you are not in that position" - it is actually incomparably easier to not be in "that position" any more. Powerful people are generally powerful because the buck stops with them, not because other people do things for them :-). Powerful people tend to carry crushing responsibilities.

When I notice people don't listen to me, I stop talking to them and leave :-). I have always done that, nothing different in retirement :-). If anything, in retirement I don't interact with people too much (or at least not nearly as much as I did when I worked), so I have no idea who would or wouldn't listen to me. The matter does not impact my life in any way.

Not getting a table in the restaurant because all have been taken is beyond trivial - I think General Westmoreland has had a few more important problems in his life :-).

Old 01-04-2024, 09:42 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, she's just an example.

The question is really about anyone retiring in similar situations. The question of, how does one learn to live when it use to be so easy, doing whatever, but now it is not because they no longer are powerful or are not in that position or other similar situations.

Say, like retired General Westmoreland. There was a news article, long ago, of how there wasn't any room at the hotel or restaurant (or something like that) and he and his family left and went elsewhere. The article went on, for a sentence, of how once that would not be the case, things would move for him, but no longer.

Now, for retired Generals, there are probably support programs of some sort. But for others, not so well known or problems not so well known, like menopause is (to an extent), how does one handle it? Are there philosophies that others know of?

SO, not for one or two examples, BUT looking at a big picture......well, I guess I am looking at one aspect of Grey Liberation, of how to handle it when people no longer listen to you because you are old and without power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wih5mPUJvGc
It depends on what you mean by power. For example, a lot of older people, particularly women on their own, complain about contractors who ignore them or don't do what they want. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've developed a trusted pool of contractors that I use, some for decades, to work on my house. I don't have either the mechanical knowledge or the physical strength to deal with HVAC or generator issues, or emptying and cleaning out the pond, or fixing the roof, so I have experts I trust. They listen to me and do a good job at a fair price. You can call that "power" of a sort. The same has worked for me with doctors, dentists, etc. If they don't deal with me in that fashion, I find ones that do. And I have my garden helper, who is a true friend as well. Otherwise, everything in my life: house, finances, vehicles, groceries, animal care, etc. is squarely on my shoulders. It's just normal life to take care of these things on my own.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:47 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
But this reminds me of Bob Dylan, at the peak of his fame, meeting a woman who had never heard of him because I guess she was not interested in his kind of music. I don't know how he felt about that, but he married her; they had something like four kids and stayed married for a long time :-)

Old 01-04-2024, 09:47 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
People adjust and adapt. That's all there is to it. For those who previously enjoyed perks or privilege (deservedly or undeservedly), they start living like everyone else. Boo Hoo. I have a tiny violin for that.

As for physical things that you can't do anymore, if you have the money, you can hire someone to do it for you. If you don't you can ask for a favor, or you can make a barter with someone for something you can do in return for them, or you decide it's just not that important and you don't do it anymore.

It's not a hard question to answer, but when you add things like superheroes, or puzzling quotes, or speak about things like spies and witches, it only serves to 1) obscure your real question, requiring a translation for those of us in the actual universe, 2) delay getting the answers you seek, and 3) kind of alienate other posters because it seems like you've gone around the bend. If no one's ever said that to you plainly, let me be the first.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:55 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Who cares about this topic unless it affects you directly? Personally I enjoy taking care of myself, dogs, condo, chores, car, etc . I do what I can and hire the rest.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM

43,104 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
In Shazam (of the last century), it is theorized that Mentor was a formal Captain Marvel, a former holder of the powers, but now older, did not have the powers anymore and was a guide for Billy.

Okay, that's fiction, but there are perhaps many ways of life where as we age, we can no longer approach life as we once did and must adjust.

So there's the question, how do we adjust when it is not a population wide recognized situation, with lots of support (more or less)? Are there philosophies? Support groups for those of things that don't fall into other categories.

How do we adjust when it has been so long since we "did it without the powers".......or never did it all powerless?
You have another thread about what to do when you retire.
Why not retire first instead of worry about being incapacitated years after you retire.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:06 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I have no earthly idea what you are talking about.
I rarely do, for this poster.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Who cares about this topic unless it affects you directly?.....
Well, YES.

Once, I was the woman whose batteries never ran down (how I would refer to myself as "Kara") but I am no longer like that, so I am looking for suggestions and what better place to look but a retirement forum. It is reasonable, yes, to expect that others at this age must have experienced such or similar?

I must admit, given the responses I am getting, that I am beginning to think that the reason why people don't understand, don't know where I am coming from is that they have never been almost a God, if only figuratively speaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
.......Why not retire first instead of worry about being incapacitated years after you retire.
Well, for one thing, that PSA I quoted previously states that's a fool's folly.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:32 AM

43,104 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Well, YES.

Once, I was the woman whose batteries never ran down (how I would refer to myself as "Kara") but I am no longer like that, so I am looking for suggestions and what better place to look but a retirement forum. It is reasonable, yes, to expect that others at this age must have experienced such or similar?

I must admit, given the responses I am getting, that I am beginning to think that the reason why people don't understand, don't know where I am coming from is that they have never been almost a God, if only figuratively speaking.Well, for one thing, that PSA I quoted previously states that's a fool's folly.
Well if you can't find the answers you seek among humans maybe your fantasy world has your answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement