Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 11:27 AM

14,276 posts, read 14,815,877 times

Advertisements

My family had an unwritten rule that gifting stopped when the child turned 16. From about age 12, the gifts became cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 11:55 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,821,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We gave until age 18. Except one kid, who complained "that's not much money" on his 16th birthday. Cut him off then.

He's in his 40s now, still a jerk.
Same here. I had 9 nieces and nephews, so I had to be conservative with how much I could give. I'm not particularly close with any of them. I was giving them gift cards for the music and video game store, and I overheard one kid (16) say something like "What the heck am I supposed to get with $25? That was his last gift. At that point I decided that I couldn't afford to give them an amount that they would feel was worthwhile, so those over the age of 16 got nothing anymore.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,085,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Same here. I had 9 nieces and nephews, so I had to be conservative with how much I could give. I'm not particularly close with any of them. I was giving them gift cards for the music and video game store, and I overheard one kid (16) say something like "What the heck am I supposed to get with $25? That was his last gift. At that point I decided that I couldn't afford to give them an amount that they would feel was worthwhile, so those over the age of 16 got nothing anymore.
Reminds me of one Christmas where I got a few gifts and that was it. I was hurt but didn't say anything, didn't show it, steeled myself with that it is not the gift giving but being with family that was important.......it was only a few hours later that my Mother realized that I had known that I got a very big check and did not know it.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:31 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I had many nieces and nephews and several children of friends that I bought for, or gave BD and Christmas money to. I stopped when they reached age 18. By then times had changed so that the children of friends were no longer close enough to warrant giving a gift, and the nieces and nephews had moved, or I moved or whatever. By age 18 THEY no longer noticed or obviously cared that I did not acknowledge the event. I was never asked why I didn't send a gift.
I'm hovering right in the vicinity with my niece and nephews. All of them are farther away geographically than I can easily travel to. I never talk to or really know the day to day interests of these people now and they're no longer kids who depend on doting relatives to buy them things. I hate meaningless gifts given just for "credit" and I do want to acknowledge their existence. Just don't know how to broach the topic. One parent has made an issue out of me forgetting a birthday before, so that makes that conversation particularly awkward. I'd probably prefer to transition to some sort of family gift they could all enjoy when they get together, something experiential: tickets to an event, a delivered gourmet treat, etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-06-2023 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-06-2023, 01:48 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Reminds me of one Christmas where I got a few gifts and that was it. I was hurt but didn't say anything, didn't show it, steeled myself with that it is not the gift giving but being with family that was important.......it was only a few hours later that my Mother realized that I had known that I got a very big check and did not know it.

A FEW gifts? Wait until you have one package to open on Christmas Day. BTDT. That was hurtful no matter how hard I resisted the feeling. We can claim we don't care about material gifts until we're blue in the face, but those material things can still be symbolic of the regard family members have or don't have for you. What doesn't matter is how much those material things cost. Whether it's a card filled with sincere sentiment, an edible treat, a carefully chosen gift card, a total and somewhat confusing surprise, or something totally silly, it's the investment of thought and effort that matter IMHO.

My father was particularly difficult about gifting. He was naturally thrifty which is fine, but he'd also agonize over his sense of obligation to make gifts meaningful and down-to-the-penny equal for each of his children. Financially, he was quite comfortable and none of us expected or asked for extravagant things. He refused to shop in person. We got it...not everyone enjoys it. To a point. He wouldn't even order through a catalog. Even if someone chose a catalog he'd normally get by mail, shopped for themselves and provided a couple of exact item numbers to choose between. He'd procrastinate and dodge until it became a last minute crisis. He'd get upset, lose his temper, then tell the recipient a long drawn out tale of how expensive and awful the entire process became. Which made the recipient feel horrible about the whole thing. OTOH, if you told him you didn't want a gift, he refused to believe you. He'd feel guilty and share his guilt with you. It became an emotional minefield twice every year. I suspect it was a constant war between his desire to show love and his urge to pinch every penny possible. By the end of his life the penny pinching won. Very sad.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-06-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-06-2023, 02:25 PM

2,004 posts, read 999,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'm hovering right in the vicinity with my niece and nephews. All of them are farther away geographically than I can easily travel to. I never talk to or really know the day to day interests of these people now and they're no longer kids who depend on doting relatives to buy them things. I hate meaningless gifts given just for "credit" and I do want to acknowledge their existence. Just don't know how to broach the topic. One parent has made an issue out of me forgetting a birthday before, so that makes that conversation particularly awkward. I'd probably prefer to transition to some sort of family gift they could all enjoy when they get together, something experiential: tickets to an event, a delivered gourmet treat, etc.

I'm at this same point with my six nieces. I haven't seen them in years and the youngest is 14. A few years ago I actually realized the oldest was probably in her thirties and switched to gift cards instead of gifts since I have no idea what they're into. One day I will stop. I will just tell my brother I can't afford it anymore.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:49 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,086,184 times
no nieces/nephews here, 6 step-grandkids. I am planning to stop at 18. Youngest one gets gifts as well as cash (he's 5), the older ones get a check. A few I would like to stop sooner, I don't see them and they don't acknowledge the gift.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:54 PM

15,016 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We gave until age 18. Except one kid, who complained "that's not much money" on his 16th birthday. Cut him off then.

He's in his 40s now, still a jerk.
That's been the mentality of some of our younger family members. I have lost count of the gifts I've sent which were never even acknowledged. Checks were always cashed, though. I decided a while ago that if they can't bother to even call, text, email or send a thank you note, why should I bother to send anything?

Old 12-06-2023, 02:59 PM

1,207 posts, read 940,410 times
When my six nieces and nephews (I’m an aunt with no kids or spouse) were young, they would get quite modest gifts for birthdays and Christmas. When in high school, the oldest wanted singing lessons, so I told her I’d cover them in lieu of birthday or Christmas. That became the pattern for the next five, that in high school I covered the cost of one special interest. Then during college I offered each one a choice. A trip anywhere they wanted to go after graduation, or $x monthly. (At one time a monthly check, now Venmo. Venmo sure is easier!) The monthly stipend added up over four years to what I was willing to pay for the trip. The first five all chose the stipend.

Once out of college I kept up the monthly stipend for a few months, remembering how much is involved in setting up your first household as a working adult, then it all stops. Just phone calls and cards after that.

Old 12-06-2023, 03:38 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,962,431 times
We have one daughter and three grandchildren.

Our daughter, son-in-law and each grand child receives a new $100 bill every Christmas.

Grandchildren are age 10, 11 and 12.

Imagine your 12 year old granddaughter saying "Gee Grandpa, I really didn't want a $100 bill...."

We also get them presents to open but nothing really huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement