Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you re-gift an item to someone else when you find you don’t care for it yourself?
Yes,,, I re-gift at times 21 63.64%
No,,, I’ve never re-gifted 10 30.30%
Sell it and make a killing or not ;-( 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,916,108 times

Advertisements

Have you ever gotten that “something” you didn’t know what it was or need? Just what do you do with it? What types of strange items have you received for birthdays, Christmas or other events in your life that you didn’t and couldn’t use?

My sister gave us a duck one year. I don’t know why, but she thought I should have a figurine that was a duck. It’s in the living room now under the end table where it gets dusted off ever other week. Should I re-gift this duck or should I keep it? Why do people think that you should have certain types of decorative items in your house anyway? I’ve also received a brass owl about 8” high that I don’t have any use for but keep around just because it was a gift. I want to open a “re-gift” store online ~ would I finally find my ship that hasn’t landed by doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 10:55 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,547,161 times
Red face Hey-I gave you that!

I don't think you can re-gift something people might have seen in your house! Hey-didn't that used to be under your coffee table? You have to stash that stuff 'til you decide what to do with it.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 PM

74 posts, read 142,013 times
I have a friend who is a compulsive thrift store shopper and can't resist "cute" cups. I am not cute. All my dishware is white and I have little cupboard space. I say thank you to her and then have the pleasure of throwing it in the recyling to get even. When she asks, i say, oops, I dropped it by accident. This is because she ignores my pleas that I don't want stuff for stuff's sake, and especially since it is her taste and not mine, but she insists it's so cute and I just have to have it so that's how I relieve my frustration. hahahahahaha

Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
We either re-gift or donate the item to charity, if it's something we can't use.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 AM

I’m okay with re-gifting but only if I know the other person would really enjoy having it.

Also there are many used items that I’ve bought for family members as gifts. There usually old magazines, books, or an item from a period of time that they might enjoy having again. Most are not quite antique but would fall into the collectable area.

I found an old cookbook with my sister’s name in it and a few of her recipes when she was first married at she had donated to the local small town American Legion. The book was in an “antique” store, so I had fun with her age and the gift. She still has the book and enjoys the old time recipes that would have been lost forever.

I also found an old Time or Life magazine from the date of when my parents were married ~ I gave it to them on their anniversary years ago.

So old items are not bad gifts, and re-gifting the right item to the right person is fine in my opinion.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,551,069 times
I have never done it myself, but last year at the wife's family Christmas get together, I received back a gift I had given two years before!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,535,910 times
No, I have never regifted..Anything anyone takes time to pick out for me is very much appreciated and I will hang on to it... I am not hard to buy for..

Old 11-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
I have never done it myself, but last year at the wife's family Christmas get together, I received back a gift I had given two years before!!!
That happened to my sister at her Christmas party with her family a couple of years ago. She was very angry because the item became damaged when others allowed the young kids to play with it.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,587,129 times
AksarbeN...I will trade you the brass owl for some of my DH's aunt's old magazines!!!
BetweenYouMeAndTheLampost.....ever think that maybe the neighbor is getting these as gifts and is doing the 'regifting' thing????
I must admit to doing some 're-gifting' in the past. Things that my DH could not wear, something that I had received already.

I prefer not to 're-gift' but hate to just hide stuff. Even tho' I have.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,419,745 times
My poor sister in law has just can't seem to buy things I like, even though she ask me what I want, so yes I have regifted many of her gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics