Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 10:34 AM

17,359 posts, read 11,332,349 times

Advertisements

I have an old little Queen Anne Victorian house with a yellow rocking chair on the front porch. I have 2 Christmas Teddy bears sitting on it, a white one and a brown one and a few bells. I ordered a new wreath for the front door as well and that should be here tomorrow. My house has a bay window facing the street, so I place one individual fake candle in each window. They change colors when they are on and look pretty cool. They're on a light sensor so they come on by themselves at dark and run on batteries. That's good enough.

I don't do anything on the inside of the house except maybe display a few cards I might or might not receive. I really would love one of those ceramic little trees about 18" high with little lights but am too cheap to buy one just so I can look at it for 3 weeks.

Last edited by marino760; 11-27-2023 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 10:43 AM

7,204 posts, read 4,601,558 times
About 10 years ago I got rid of my Xmas tree and ornaments. I always decorate with other items. This year I decided I wanted a tree so bought a 4 1/2 ft tree with lights on it. I bought new ornaments and I really am enjoying it. The branches fold up and I have room in a closet for it.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:23 AM

3,090 posts, read 1,558,304 times
Havent bought a xmas tree in many years. If I want lights I use a large Norfolk Island Pine houseplant. Then I keep the lights on thru out winter. White lights shining in the snow is awesome. Christmas, people can keep.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:25 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
I used to have 4 cats, and none of them ever climbed the Xmas tree. They liked to sleep under it, though.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:29 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
We will get a live tree and put it up next weekend. H put a few decorations outside yesterday, but he will spend next Sunday putting up all of the outside lights and remaining decorations and I will decorate the tree and the inside. We always have a Christmas tree even if we are traveling. Our oldest daughter and her fiance will be with his family on the east coast for Christmas so it is just our younger daughter and us for the holiday. The three of us are going out to Christmas dinner at a lovely restaurant instead of me cooking this year. We go see my parents for the day the weekend after Christmas.
I used to put up a live tree. Never had a fake one. I love the smell of the tree in the house. There is just no point anymore, though, in a tree just for me, and especially this year when I am going away. I still have lights and ornaments. I won't rule out a future tree if life changes and I have a person to share Xmas with in my home.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:34 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,973,721 times
I think it was just the two of us, I would still do the tree, all the battery operated candles, and the strings of fairy lights, and that would be it.

The lights are the main thing I like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-27-2023, 11:40 AM

11,153 posts, read 7,211,483 times
We skipped both the tree and the lights this year, which tend to be the biggest hassles. But we have all the rest of the decorations, which seem perfect and sensible. It's nice to have a simpler approach. Less can be more!

Old 11-27-2023, 11:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,059,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to have 4 cats, and none of them ever climbed the Xmas tree. They liked to sleep under it, though.
Well, for cats that like to leap to the top of the kitchen cabinets, leap on the tops of the curio towers, climb the 12 foot ladder when they are in that room, one who is eyeing the top of the video shelves, get up on the mantle and knock the stuffed animals off.....I rather think their intentions are pretty clear.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:30 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,604,758 times
Tree is in the garage attic. I can probably get it down, but can't haul it back up when Holiday is over. So for now, no tree, but may change my mind later. I dunno.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:39 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,950,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We skipped both the tree and the lights this year, which tend to be the biggest hassles. But we have all the rest of the decorations, which seem perfect and sensible. It's nice to have a simpler approach. Less can be more!
Precisely matches my wife's (our) approach for 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement