Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 08:35 AM
JRR

8,183 posts, read 5,698,482 times

Advertisements

We have an artificial tree that we have put up for years. But since our 3 1/2 year old cat is more like a kitten who is into everything, a decorated tree would be a disaster. So like last year, we will have to make do with a miniature tree up where she can't get to it. I will put a wreath on the front door along with a garland and some lights around the door. We like to have a bit of a feel of Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 08:38 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
We tend to decorate depending on what is going on. One year, we were doing xmas away, I did no decorations. Last year, everyone was at our house for days including the kids, so we went all out, this year people will be here for xmas eve, I decorated but not EVERYTHING.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-27-2023, 08:52 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,811,569 times
No tree, no need or desire.

Happy holidays.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:55 AM

397 posts, read 280,674 times
My wife wants to put up the artificial tree, if it were up to me we wouldn't decorate. Nobody comes here on Christmas, so why bother? I suggested we put up the tree and just leave it up all year. We rarely go into that room, so we could close it off, then open the doors at Christmas time every year!

Old 11-27-2023, 08:57 AM

2,004 posts, read 995,613 times
We didn't do anything for Thanksgiving and we aren't doing anything special on Christmas. We are having a "dinner" for the SEC Championship when we will also give our gifts to the grandkids. All of our kids have spouses with big families so they always have something going on, and we like to be out of the way and not be a burden on them to "have to" show up for those holidays. We haven't put up a tree in quite a few years. I still do stockings but we take them to their house on Christmas Day when we come over and watch them open their gifts from Santa.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,699 posts, read 81,529,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
We haven't done a tree in 25 years. Christmas is a children's event, at least in our opinion, and we don't have kids, so we don't do Christmas. We usually take a trip someplace.
Interesting, I would probably be the same if we had no kids and grandkids, but I think that's a rare view of Christmas. My sister-in-law and her husband are retired, and they had their 5 Christmas trees up since 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. They have no kids, but with 3 dogs and a cat, only put lights on the trees. Any ornaments would be knocked off.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:29 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,223,097 times
I love decorating the tree and looking at it, and the cherished memories some of the ornaments evoke. That said I totally respect and get why others don’t.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:54 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,541,233 times
I made a mistake. We always had a live tree, and then thrown out of course. We moved to a new house three years ago and I thought we would get an artificial tree to avoid the mess. We can’t put it in the attic, too high for us with ladders, so had to store in a closet. Now the closet is stuffed with a fake tree for 50 weeks of the year. They had some cute tiny live trees at Lowe’s which would have been great. Too late now.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:56 AM

587 posts, read 446,222 times
We will get a live tree and put it up next weekend. H put a few decorations outside yesterday, but he will spend next Sunday putting up all of the outside lights and remaining decorations and I will decorate the tree and the inside. We always have a Christmas tree even if we are traveling. Our oldest daughter and her fiance will be with his family on the east coast for Christmas so it is just our younger daughter and us for the holiday. The three of us are going out to Christmas dinner at a lovely restaurant instead of me cooking this year. We go see my parents for the day the weekend after Christmas.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Since we will be travelling rather than hosting Christmas this year, we mutually decided to not erect and decorate our Christmas tree. All other Holiday and Seasonal desorations are displayed.

Do other retired couples also omit some or all of their holiday decorating?
No but yes.

6 CATS do rather put a tree out of the question.

But then again, I have lots of trees, outside where they can't get at it, to decorate. There is an evergreen bush in view of my den window that I do the lights on. It is in my grand field/forest view.

Those decorations I might put on a tradition tree, from Unicorns to Federation shuttlecraft, have long been placed in a curio cabinet.

I do put a wreath out on the fence on the road. As to in house decorations, it is sort of. Stockings and stuffeds of the season (Santa, Rudolphs, Snowmen, Penguins, Geoffreys, etc) are always out. Other decorations, though, not so much.

Part of the reason is.....6 CATS but also that the season is on top of me before I know it but then gone before 12th Day......and then it is long past 12th Day before it gets put away.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-27-2023 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement