Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 07:49 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,442,206 times

Advertisements

I'm retired with no family here and no holiday visitors. No indoor decorations, but some years I've gone all out with lights in the windows, lighted wreath and even lights wrapped around the bases of the small palm trees. Well, until those lights caught on fire. (I used outdoor lights and extension cords, so I have no idea what happened but thank God no damage!) This year, only the wreath is on the door. I have all-new hurricane windows with low-E tint and I'm afraid to put suction cups on the windows, so no lights there. Actually can't wait til Christmas is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 12:40 AM

17,608 posts, read 16,756,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm retired with no family here and no holiday visitors. No indoor decorations, but some years I've gone all out with lights in the windows, lighted wreath and even lights wrapped around the bases of the small palm trees. Well, until those lights caught on fire. (I used outdoor lights and extension cords, so I have no idea what happened but thank God no damage!) This year, only the wreath is on the door. I have all-new hurricane windows with low-E tint and I'm afraid to put suction cups on the windows, so no lights there. Actually can't wait til Christmas is over.
How scary! I'm glad you caught that fire before it did real damage to your house. Have you ever tried using solar lights?

Old 12-19-2023, 08:46 AM

926 posts, read 680,670 times
And tonight for dinner we will have egg nog French Toast. Our yearly egg nog treat.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:41 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,529,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No tree, no decorations, no lights, no nothing.

No gifts, no Christmas dinner, heck no dinner at all.

The kitchen counter is piled high with his messes. I beg him to please please please clear it off. He refuses.

I tell him I want to get a cat. He says No.

Before we left Scottsdale to return to the Bay Area, he told me sternly that I was not allowed to "abandon him". I have done so before in a bid to regain my sanity..

It was my only option.
Here is what you (creatively) do...you get boxes or plastic totes (size you can handle) and scoop/dump/put gently) his crap in the tote/s/box/es and stack in a corner.

Then you just tell him he won't do it, you did, and ALL of HIS stuff is safe in the corner.

Or you REFUSE to cook ANYTHING anymore until you have a kitchen counter!!!

And if YOU want a tree..put one up..many things are NOT UNDER HIS CONTROL!!!

best to you for a happy healthy financially secure new year!

Old 01-01-2024, 11:24 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,068,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No tree, no decorations, no lights, no nothing.

No gifts, no Christmas dinner, heck no dinner at all.

The kitchen counter is piled high with his messes. I beg him to please please please clear it off. He refuses.

I tell him I want to get a cat. He says No.

Before we left Scottsdale to return to the Bay Area, he told me sternly that I was not allowed to "abandon him". I have done so before in a bid to regain my sanity..

It was my only option.
Why do you put up with this?

Old 01-01-2024, 12:58 PM

14,295 posts, read 14,868,371 times
Years back my wife and I purchased a small, pre-decorated, artificial Xmas tree. We could put it in a large garbage bag and bring it out the next year. That and a couple of poinsettia plants and we were done. Time for egg nog.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:55 PM

7,835 posts, read 3,428,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Why do you put up with this?

Nefret, I am not sure I have the story straight. But, I think she made reference to him being a hoarder. Thats just an untenable situation I could never live with for even a day...

I do not get the whole thing with Fluffy. I know she's been quite ill for a couple of years. They've been married quite a while and have what seems like a small fortune.

I do not get it either. Maybe Fluff could just bottom line it and spell it out very clear one time so the mystery of it could just be over with.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:44 AM

8,828 posts, read 5,144,567 times
We already took down the tree, and most of the decorations....we did leave two candles in the window,and a string of lights across my kitchen counter and the coffee table.....looks cozy at night.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:26 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,138,906 times
We have a mt cabin that gets a real tree every year. The family comes here to celebrate Christmas. We travel back to our permanent home every couple of weeks from middle the of November until early January. Usually sometime after New Year, we go back until late March.
The permanent home has small electric white candle lights in each window and an artificial folding tree in the entrance hall by the front door. They are all controlled remotely by individual Kasa or Tapa mini smart Wifi plugs. I group them to all come on at 6 PM every evening and off at 10:30 or 11 most evenings. After New Year, I just delete the schedule and the house stays dark until we can get back and put away all the decorations.
Today is the 2nd, so the real tree up here at the cabin comes down and get's carried outback to the fire pit for some future enjoyment depending upon the weather.

I'm surprised more people don't use the Kasa or Tapa plugs, they are cheap... 10 dollars apiece or 22 dollars for a box of three, and they program in a minute or two so the APP can control them from any smart phone. I've been using them for several years now without fail as long as the electricity stays on. if the power goes off, they automatically start and begin working again as soon as the power is restored to your router/modem. They pick up the time from your wifi router at the house, so are always in sync.

Happy New Year all

Old 01-03-2024, 09:33 AM

7,360 posts, read 4,706,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Nefret, I am not sure I have the story straight. But, I think she made reference to him being a hoarder. Thats just an untenable situation I could never live with for even a day...

I do not get the whole thing with Fluffy. I know she's been quite ill for a couple of years. They've been married quite a while and have what seems like a small fortune.

I do not get it either. Maybe Fluff could just bottom line it and spell it out very clear one time so the mystery of it could just be over with.
My guess is it’s a combination of both psychological and financial dependence. Some people can’t deal with being alone. Half of the money may be a lower financial existence than she is comfortable with. Personally peace and happiness are more important to me but I have seen people in her situation and they never leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement