Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 06:05 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
An interesting change in my life has been occurring lately. I've always gotten (or tried to get) 7 - 8 hours of sleep a night. Recently, I find that two - four hours a night is sufficient and I don't even feel tired the next morning, and I don't nap during the day. Has anyone else found that as you get older, you seem to need less and less sleep?

Since before COVID, my body got screwed up with one of the time changes, I think it was the fall one. I'd be sitting on the couch watching TV, would fall asleep anywhere from 4pm to 7pm. I then started waking up between 11pm and 3am, to where I was lucky to get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. I was happy that I could sometimes get back to sleep until I couldn't. I usually need to use the bathroom, now, once I'm up, I can't go back to sleep so I have my coffee while reading threads.

I'm even taking a prescribed sleeping pill. Some days I won't need it to fall asleep, I usually take half about 2pm because it takes time to hit me. I save the other half to take if I wake up later on, I will luck out that I can get more sleep or get a nap after dropping my grandson to school. I have an alarm set for 2pm, then go sit in the pickup line. It's funny when I have a day that I fall asleep in line. The gym teacher who radios inside to say what order to send kids out, will knock on my window to wake me up. lol

I used to be able to run on four or so hours of sleep but not lately. I'm so exhausted, especially this week because my grandson has days and nights mixed up too. Last day of school, hopefully he won't be sleeping by the time I walk down to help him get ready to leave. He fell asleep at 6am yesterday, couldn't get him up until 10, then to school for 3 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 06:33 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
The more physically active my day is the better/longer I sleep.
Haven't taken OTC sleep aids in a long while because of reading about mental problems associated with the main ingredient.
But oh back then just one pill guaranteed lights out and great sleep.
When insomnia happens I have Delta8 gummies (legal in my state and 32 others) I cut them up to 1mm dose and sleep very well.

Yesterday was a busy day for both husband and me and we both zonked out 2 hours earlier than usual. Rainy weather probably contributed to this and we have several more to get through.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:00 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't nap, and I sleep eight hours straight through every night.
If I can get 8.5 hours, that's even better. But I usually am up before that happens.
Me too. Sleep is when your body repairs your cells, I'm all for that.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:53 AM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I'm 65 and still need 8 or 9 hours of sleep for peak mental performance. I drink a lot of coffee in the mornings and some wine with my dinner, so I am up going to the bathroom a few times nightly. I usually drink some water after going. Living here in a dry climate, it's easy to get dehydrated.

I do sleep better after a physically active day, as most do.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:49 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,046,586 times
I'd been getting only 5-6 hours sleep a night for some time. While I didn't feel tired the next day, I hated that I would wake up around 2-3 AM and spend a long time tossing and turning before falling back to sleep.

A few days ago I began wearing a sleep mask and am sleeping through the night for the first time in years. I wish I had thought of this earlier.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:09 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
I've heard it's common to need less sleep as one ages, but hasn't happened to us. Just like when working, we go to bed around midnight or so, and sleep till 8:00 or 9:00. Nothing has changed in retirement except that we started to wake up at 2 or 3:00. Mj brownies solved that---now we sleep straight through. We are 68.

Never been able to nap as an adult, but DH nods off on the couch at about 8:00 pm, lol. Like he's on a timer.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:26 PM

16,272 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I was never an early to rise person, that changed when I was in my 50's. I just can't sleep in, by 5:30 or so I'm wide awake regardless of when I go to bed. Now that I'm retired and have so much time I've taken to taking naps, as a matter of fact it's nap time now. Bye bye.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:57 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I am 73, I sleep MORE now than even a few years ago. Usually to bed between 10 and 11, and up by 8. Sometimes I sleep right through, but usually wake up a couple times (bathroom). If I'm lucky go right back to sleep, but not always. I usually like a little nap around 4 as well.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:52 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
I catnap on the weekends, and sleep ~5 hours a night during the week.

* I'm not retired - I still work full time.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:15 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
A good overview of sleep and sleep issues in older adults:

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/good-nights-sleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement