Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 12:47 AM

538 posts, read 542,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Female, 71 years old, 5'2", 92 lbs.

I do pull-ups, chin-ups and push-ups every other day: 3 sets of 7 pull-ups, 3 sets of 7 chin-ups followed by 3 sets of 25 pushups (military style).

I could not do even one pull-up or chin-up before starting going to the gym at 48. I have not been to the gym since retiring over 6 years ago. I did not resume my full workouts with home equipment (weight lifting, treadmill, pull-ups, chin-ups and push-ups) until 2 years ago and could only do half of what I used to do before. It took a year to get my strength and endurance back to the previous levels. It is use it or loose it.

My goal is either to do 3 sets of 10 pull-ups, 10 chin-ups, 40 push-ups or 4-5 sets at my current reps.
You go, girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 07:55 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,946,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think the squat is a better measure of fitness than the pull up.
But I'd sure be interested in your opinion.
I disagree. Squats and pull ups strengthen different muscles. Each exercise alone is not a measure of your fitness.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-b...ter-shape.html

Quote:
First the exercises:

squats;
push-ups;
dead lifts;
pull-ups.
Yep: The big four.

Squats increase leg and core strength. Push-ups increase chest, shoulder, and triceps strength. Dead lifts increase lower back, glute, and core strength (not to mention seemingly every other muscle in your body). And pull-ups increase back, shoulder, and arm strength (or you can reverse your grip and do chin-ups to engage your biceps more than your shoulders).

Do these four functional exercises and you'll target the major muscle groups and build the kind of strength that makes everyday life easier. And, oh, yeah: Over time, you'll not only be fitter, you'll look fitter..
I do dumbbell squats every other day on my weight lifting schedule. Currently, I use a pair of 30-lbs dumbbells (2/3 of my bodyweight) to do 3 sets of 15 reps. I will likely try do more sets than carrying more weights because my elbows hurt a bit after using 60-lbs weights doing squats, calf raises, lunges and shoulder shrugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement