Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 03:12 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
You're probably right but the descriptions of senior independent living facilities that I've checked into online all mention such activities as bingo and shuffleboard.
Well allrighty then.

I used to play the table type of shuffleboard in a dive Irish pub years ago. We'd put money on it and drink beer while we played. I'd be OK with that.

Bingo you can keep. I would rather go to Belmont.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:24 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'd go to such a place if needing more supervision/services than I can arrange at home here. Not sure about socializing and all but the safety in numbers. I'd like to be around people who talk about more than health issues and grandchildren- think this might be the case in a more urban/urbane environment.
We are on the list for two CCRC and neither one has the bingo-shuffleboard-warehouse for old people feel.
The one we like the best has weekly lectures from the university professors, yoga classes, trips to museums and botanical gardens, music concerts, hiking groups, fishing trips, wine tasting and craft beer outings, residents just got together and built a marvelous dog park. There’s an art studio, a weaving and quilting group,, woodworker shop. There’s a huge library and art gallery just for residents’ art work. There’s only 200 of the independent living residents — so not overwhelming.
The food is healthy and even has gluten free & vegan options.

We are both introverts and have asked if the socializing is high pressure — you can be as quiet and private as you want or join in selective things not too social like movie night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 03:42 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
^^^^^
Where are the uni professors coming from?

Old 02-07-2023, 03:47 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you are off by about 30 years there.

Do people even play bingo or shuffleboard anywhere anymore?

I don't think I want a seniors only environment, either, but none of my friends are into either of those things, even the 82-year-old.

Heck, they might look at you as one of those old people who lumps everyone together in stereotypes!
OMG - We love Bingo around here. Well its Loteria - lots of prizes, food, we go crazy - lol.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:02 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
My mother (who has since passed) moved into one of those places in 2016. It was very upscale and the people were very pretentious. I hated it from the minute I set foot in there. But my mother liked it. She became part of a clique (I referred to them as the mean girls). If you did not look up to par, they would ridicule you. You had to dress a certain way. Sit with certain people. Shun others. Yes, it was highschool all over again. My worst nightmare. lol
So sorry about your mother.

I rent in an apartment building that has a large percentage of seniors.

They are always gathered in the lobby, watching everyone coming and going...it's a thrill for them to see who happens to exit the elevator.

They spend copious amounts of time gossiping and discussing their health issues in great detail.

The highlight of their day is when the mailperson delivers.

I'm a senior too, but keep to myself...I do not desire to be like them.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:03 PM

Some people are bores regardless of age.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I have not read all the posts, because this brings back so many sad memories of my friendly, outgoing Mom who led the seniors group in her small community and was volunteer of the year, and a wonderful person. I placed her in one of those "places" due to her age and inability to remain alone in her house. The old women there would not allow her to sit with them at the dining table. They all had their places and would not accept a new person. She sat alone at a table for the 2 months she was there. She had a hair appointment and when she went to it, she was told the hairdresser was too busy. Her wedding ring was stolen; she was shipped off to a hospital with a UTI without anyone telling me. They locked her in her room and I was furious.

Needless to say, I got her out of there after two months. It was so sad I couldn't take it anymore. She had a little dementia before entering there and when leaving, she had a lot more. I got her into a small community home with just 5 patients and she lived there happily until she passed at 102.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:11 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
There is one soon to be built near me. The rent for a 2-bedroom is about $6k per month, and the initiation fee is about $1.2 million (refundable) or $850k nonrefundable. Is this normal?

Old 02-07-2023, 06:26 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Default I seem to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I have not read all the posts, because this brings back so many sad memories of my friendly, outgoing Mom who led the seniors group in her small community and was volunteer of the year, and a wonderful person. I placed her in one of those "places" due to her age and inability to remain alone in her house. The old women there would not allow her to sit with them at the dining table. They all had their places and would not accept a new person. She sat alone at a table for the 2 months she was there. She had a hair appointment and when she went to it, she was told the hairdresser was too busy. Her wedding ring was stolen; she was shipped off to a hospital with a UTI without anyone telling me. They locked her in her room and I was furious.

Needless to say, I got her out of there after two months. It was so sad I couldn't take it anymore. She had a little dementia before entering there and when leaving, she had a lot more. I got her into a small community home with just 5 patients and she lived there happily until she passed at 102.
I think your mom was quite the independent person and lived alone (Chicago area?) well into her late 90's.
I remember reading about when you did this and your poor mom!

I'm so sorry this happened to her and to you as well. I'm glad you found her a home at the end.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:29 PM

^^^^
Pitiful. So glad you found a more suitable place for her final times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement