Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 11:19 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It's a horrible diet, so I don't feel so bad giving it up. Used to frequently eat single serving frozen dinners. Just because they say "Lean Cuisine" or "Healthy Choice", I know that they are still not very good for a human's body. Used to be relatively inexpensive and frequently on sale. No more. Some of them were really tasty.
There's a chain up here called M&M that sells nothing but frozen food. Prepared meals, meats and vegetables, desserts, everything frozen. On Tuesday, seniors get 10% off whatever is not on special, but you also join their "club", which basically means they send specials to your phone with deals on this or that. It's fairly pricy but better quality than most supermarket-level frozen food.

Anyway, they put these single-service meals, normally on sale for $5.49, on for $3.99 every so often. They're very good, and just enough food. Pastas, butter chicken, shepherd's pie, three-cheese mac n cheese, nice little meals. They have 17 different things, actually. When they go on that sale, it's worth stocking up.

https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/

Also, these are CDN$, so in your head, knock off a quarter of the price.

To the topic, I have come to notice that at some times, some of the prices are lower than on others, even when on sale. For instance, they'll sell the chicken wing varieties at $19.99 for a 2-pound box (in US, $15) and you have to buy two, but if you wait another couple of weeks, they go on sale for $17.99 and you don't have to get two.

So I will forego the higher price and wait, because I know "my price" will come back.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:22 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
We shop almost exclusively from Whole Foods/Fresh only because we buy organic. I was going over my orders for the last month and our orders totaled roughly $1500 plus several orders from Thrive at $50 a pop. Close to $2000/mo. I was shocked.

Anybody have any similar horror stories they'd like to share of item you really love that you had to give up because of the rising cost of food?
We are a family of 4: Me, my wife, and our 2 teenage sons. We shop at the local grocery store (Harris Teeter - a NC based chain that is part of the Kroger conglomerate). We shop the sales, and we do not buy organic. Although we do buy lots of fresh produce and my wife has Celiac, so lots of items are gluten-free.

Our weekly grocery bill is anywhere between $200-$300, so perhaps $1000 per month. It used to be $800 a month, until inflation shot up and my oldest son took up cooking. He likes to make recipes that require purchase of odd-ball ingredients that we do not have in the house already.

The one thing that I've given up because of the cost is Boars Head roast beef lunchmeat. I used to be able to get it for $10-$11 a pound when it was on sale, and it used to go on sale every few months. Now it is priced at $18 a pound and never seems to go on sale. All we eat is turkey and chicken lunchmeat now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 05:31 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Long lines waiting for the chickens to appear from the kitchen, or long lines waiting to check out?

I've heard that Costco sometimes runs out of chickens, but it's never happened to me. I shop there during the middle of the day on weekdays, when it is less busy.
It's the long lines waiting for the chickens. We generally shop there in the middle of the week, fairly early too, but we live in an area populated by many retirees and visitors who do the same thing. We've gotten rotisserie chickens for many years and there was never a wait for them, but now their still being $4.99`and 3 lbs each makes them even more of a bargain, and more in demand currently in this era of inflation where food, and everything else is so expensive. I've never seen this before, as soon as the chickens come off the rotisseries and are put out for sale, they are all grabbed up by the people who have been waiting for them. Its no better, at least around here, in BJs or Sam's Club.

As far as other food items I've decided are too expensive to be worth it, I've had snack foods such as chips, boxed cold cereals, candy on the list for a number of years. I figure no loss for those items, they are empty calories anyway. Other items I will wait for a sale, or purchase those somewhere I know they're less expensive ( like eggs, butter).

Old 12-20-2022, 05:43 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It's the long lines waiting for the chickens. We generally shop there in the middle of the week, fairly early too, but we live in an area populated by many retirees and visitors who do the same thing. We've gotten rotisserie chickens for many years and there was never a wait for them, but now their still being $4.99`and 3 lbs each makes them even more of a bargain, and more in demand currently in this era of inflation where food, and everything else is so expensive. I've never seen this before, as soon as the chickens come off the rotisseries and are put out for sale, they are all grabbed up by the people who have been waiting for them. Its no better, at least around here, in BJs or Sam's Club.

As far as other food items I've decided are too expensive to be worth it, I've had snack foods such as chips, boxed cold cereals, candy on the list for a number of years. I figure no loss for those items, they are empty calories anyway. Other items I will wait for a sale, or purchase those somewhere I know they're less expensive ( like eggs, butter).
I think many could cut their food bills in half by simply not buying junk food or highly processed foods but I understand for some, cooking from scratch is not something they wish to do on a regular basis. I see so many people at the grocery checkout both young and old with carts filled with premade foods you just need to warm up or eat straight from the bag, soda, chips, frozen pizza and things like that.
I'm far from perfect and sometimes buy something along these lines but it's more of a treat for me, not something I eat for meals or everyday even as a snack.

I see tips and articles about how to cut back on grocery bills all the time. My problem is that I've already been doing these things for years so there's really little room for me to cut back. The fact I'm just one person also makes it very easy for me. I just need to buy for myself. I could splurge on something and cut back on something else and no one else is going to care or complain.

Last edited by marino760; 12-20-2022 at 06:12 AM..

Old 12-20-2022, 06:07 AM

899 posts, read 671,293 times
I remember during COVID someone posted about how expensive eggs were becoming...like, $6 per dozen or something in some areas. Our Aldi in Dallas had them for $1.50-$1.75 I think. Here just recently, our Aldi in Northwest Arkansas raised the price to $3.79 and I thought that was expensive. Then someone in my Dallas Aldi Facebook group said they were paying $4.81.

You have to look at the price on every item every time it seems...prices are fluctuating and what was reasonably priced last time can shoot up overnight. We recently ate at a restaurant where the buffet price rose about 50%. My least favorite are those gas stations where none of the snacks have a price on them---no marking on the package or the shelf, just a bar code.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:12 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
We shop almost exclusively from Whole Foods/Fresh only because we buy organic and because WF delivers
If that is your only criteria, you should be shopping at WalMart. They (and many others) deliver and have organic for much, much cheaper than WF.

The current issue of Consumer Reports (available free at many libraries) has an article on store brands vs name brands. At least one of the WF products was a 'skip'.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:18 AM

463 posts, read 285,892 times
Here in Canada, lettuce is outrageous these days.

If you want to get your food delivered for a cost + tip....the more power to you, but going yourself would save you a lot so why are you complaining? Just sayin'

Old 12-20-2022, 07:37 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
That's where the waistline thing comes in. I just got my cholesterol panel results back. Total cholesterol went from 180 to 229. I think it's all the coconut fat in the Beyond patties contributing to it. Triglycerides up from about 140 to 189. HDL stayed high but LDL went up to about 139 or so. I put on 15 pounds going from 185 to 200 on this Acai and Beyond Meat splurge so that didn't help. My PCP was not impressed. Gave me hell.
Yeah, Hillary's Root Veggie Burger is definitely a healthier alternative to Beyond Meat. Half the total fat content and only 0.5g of saturated fat as opposed to BYD's 5.0 grams.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:49 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, Hillary's Root Veggie Burger is definitely a healthier alternative to Beyond Meat. Half the total fat content and only 0.5g of saturated fat as opposed to BYD's 5.0 grams.
Never heard of this, but it sounds intriguing. I like most root vegetables.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:49 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Most of our foods could be bought at Trader Joe's for half the price. Only problem is Traders won't deliver. I begged them to on a few occasions but they wouldn't budge.
Then do your own grocery shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement