Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 05:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Mallowmars
Do they still make mallowmars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 05:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
How many eggs are you eating? That's sixty eggs.

Unless you have a large family, or are a bodybuilder, how many couples, or even families, are consuming sixty eggs before they go bad?

A dozen eggs for five dollars and change is a cheap protein source.

If you can't afford eggs, I don't know how you're going to afford more expensive, though typical, foods.
Yes eggs provide not just protein but also many of the other nutrients our bodies require. They are considered one of the superfoods in spite of their cholesterol content.

Also, eggs can last a month in the fridge.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:17 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
About eggs, I don't buy the least expensive I can find. I buy the free range, not necessarily organic. Yes, I pay more for them but it's one of the few things I don't mind paying more for. There really is a difference. A dozen eggs will usually last about 2-3 weeks at the rate I use them so it's not a big deal for me.

Last edited by marino760; 12-21-2022 at 05:30 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 05:18 AM

167 posts, read 162,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I've given up ribeye steaks and particularly, Wagyu beef. I used to buy it from a local rancher, then later our grocery store started carrying it. It was expensive before, but now astronomical. I will still buy the occasional regular or grass-fed ribeye as a splurge, but they're longer a regular part of my diet. I've found the cheaper chuckeye steak to be an acceptable substitute, but since they're not as tasty as ribeye, I eat less of them, and less beef in general.

Although I'm eating less protein, the grocery bill is still ridiculously high. I'm also buying less prepared items from the grocery deli, and limiting takeout and restaurant visits. These have been relatively easy corners to cut so far. But more belt-tightening may be necessary the longer this continues, and as other cost of living bills inch up.

My bold.

Good lord, if we did that our GSD would be very upset. She loves her some steak.
Seriously, we really have not stopped buying anything at the store because it was too expensive. Food bill has gone up, but our travel expenses have dropped because of covid. So it kinda evens out I guess.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:05 AM

14,937 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
So much of this is about where you shop.

I'm doing mostly Sam's Club, Aldi, Walmart for pantry essentials, and the mainline grocers as needed.

A lot of Aldi's items are actually pretty good. I had a good fish/chips frozen meal Sunday night for $4.99. The average premade meal at Kroger or Publix is around $8-$10. Fresh berries are half the price at Aldi/Sam's vs. the regional grocer. I got three pounds 85/15 grass-fed, organic ground beef at Sam's for $4.99/lb. Sunday. I just take out a pound at a time - usually make hamburgers and some combo of spaghetti/sloppy Joe/taco meat out of it. Bagels were like $2.50 at Aldi.

I bought like $9 of premarinated chicken breasts at Aldi - that's three to four meals. Warm up a bag of frozen veggies. That's a few meals for a few dollars each.

I ended up getting a box of ten spicy chicken sandwiches at Sam's - $2.10. Good for a quick lunch or a breakfast in place of a biscuit - more filling, fewer calories.
That is what we are doing as well. Shopping at places where the food is less expensive. We've been getting eggs, butter and some other essentials at Walmart, other items at Sam's Club, or when things go on sale ( determined by what I know to be a lower price, not just because the store SAYS it's sale). We love hamburger, but prefer the 90/10 mixture that has been running around $3.89-prob more now) at Sam's Club.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:18 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,378,652 times
If anyone has a LIDL nearby -- they have some really good specials starting this week. Bone in spiral ham is .95 cents per pound -- limit of two. And they have their boneless ribeye individually cut (10 oz) for $5.99. I have had very good luck with those steaks -- Rastelli brand and they are NOT grass fed. I do not care for the grass fed -- way too tough. They have their orange juice on special also -- 2 for $4 and it is very good.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:22 AM

5,133 posts, read 6,129,481 times
On a quick side note, the wife went into Aldi yesterday for eggs and another item. She got her items and then returned them to the shelves as there was one register open and about 15 people in line some with very full baskets.

Our store even before COVID-19 would only man one register. The store was not usually packed but now same scenario with the one register but our store sees more customers. Corporate policy?

Old 12-21-2022, 06:48 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Do they still make mallowmars?
Mallomars. No w.

And yes, I see them in stores.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mallomar+...l_8v2olb3v2e_e

Old 12-21-2022, 07:17 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Our local grocery store had the 5 dozen box for $28.00. Too pricey for us.
Quote:
How many eggs are you eating? That's sixty eggs.

Unless you have a large family, or are a bodybuilder, how many couples, or even families, are consuming sixty eggs before they go bad?

A dozen eggs for five dollars and change is a cheap protein source.

If you can't afford eggs, I don't know how you're going to afford more expensive, though typical, foods.
I'm single and keep the 5 dozen I bought in the fridge (although eggs don't have to be refrigerated). We don't have to limit eggs like we've always been told. Some people do, many people don't. I paid $11.99 plus tax, but would refuse to pay $28.00. That's ridiculous. They might have been free-range organic but it's still outlandish.

Last edited by pathrunner; 12-21-2022 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-21-2022, 07:42 AM

899 posts, read 670,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I['m single and keep the 5 dozen I bought in the fridge (although eggs don't have to be refrigerated). We don't have to limit eggs like we've always been told. Some people do, many people don't. I paid $11.99 plus tax, but would refuse to pay $28.00. That's ridiculous. They might have been free-range organic but it's still outlandish.
As I understand it, when eggs are laid they have a protective "bloom" on them that seals the pores. If you don't disturb that, they can be left at room temp and will last for weeks. I've heard European markets leave them on a shelf, not in a refrigerator. But Americans wash the eggs, removing that protection, so they need to be refrigerated. If you're ready to use one, let it get to room temp before trying to make an omelette so that you avoid the extreme temperature shift in a short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement