Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 03:25 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,512,524 times

Advertisements

Gave up bacon.
Don’t know how long I can hold out, though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 03:43 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
Buying less chicken breasts, usually bought them on sale but fewer sales seen.
Still eat them but less.
Have learned to make quiches using less or no meat, cheese provides the protein and they're delicious.

Made pulled pork first time and that was delicious with BBQ sauce.
Eating less steak because NY Strip hasn't been on sale much.

Buying fewer apples because we went to orchard this fall and picked lots from tree.
Apples stored in garage, been making apple desserts and eating raw. yumm

Old 12-19-2022, 04:04 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,912 times
Suggestion: Buy from another store other than Whole Foods; perhaps another Poster, neighbor may suggest one. Order groceries online, then drive to the market where they'll bring your purchases to your car. Save delivery fee.

For myself, noticed many items at Safeway reduced. Lox I so enjoy occasionally, instead purchase the cream cheese with smoked salmon in it. Safeway has several new cases by the deli with many variety of meals to choose. Thinking of those rather than frozen meals.

Prepare my own meals, usually, enough for another day. So cook three, four times a week. Breakfast, Oikos yogurt has 34% protein, 6 grams sugar, no added sugar, blueberries, some granola, Voila ! Breakfast.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:13 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I've given up ribeye steaks and particularly, Wagyu beef. I used to buy it from a local rancher, then later our grocery store started carrying it. It was expensive before, but now astronomical. I will still buy the occasional regular or grass-fed ribeye as a splurge, but they're longer a regular part of my diet. I've found the cheaper chuckeye steak to be an acceptable substitute, but since they're not as tasty as ribeye, I eat less of them, and less beef in general.

Although I'm eating less protein, the grocery bill is still ridiculously high. I'm also buying less prepared items from the grocery deli, and limiting takeout and restaurant visits. These have been relatively easy corners to cut so far. But more belt-tightening may be necessary the longer this continues, and as other cost of living bills inch up.
I no longer buy ribeyes due to the other half is now on a restricted diet. Had a heart attack. No red meat, bacon. So no more of that and lots of poultry and fish.

Even though I can still eat it, do not want any temptations around for him.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:50 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Steak, lamb and bacon which health wise isn’t a bad thing to cut out.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:54 PM

11,508 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Gave up bacon.
Don’t know how long I can hold out, though
How well are you handling the withdrawl symptoms?

Old 12-19-2022, 04:55 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Steak, lamb and bacon which health wise isn’t a bad thing to cut out.
As long as you're not eating lots of cheese instead. Years ago a good friend in her 20s was a vegetarian and she ate a lot of cheese dishes instead of meat. Things like casseroles with cheese, cheese burritos, deli sandwiches with no meat just cheese. She had her cholesterol checked and it was through the roof. Doc said to cut out almost all the cheese.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:01 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
As long as you're not eating lots of cheese instead. Years ago a good friend in her 20s was a vegetarian and she ate a lot of cheese dishes instead of meat. Things like casseroles with cheese, cheese burritos, deli sandwiches with no meat just cheese. She had her cholesterol checked and it was through the roof. Doc said to cut out almost all the cheese.

Yes I have had to be super careful about that, I LOVE cheese. My cholesterol is very good and I am going to keep it that way.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:05 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
We are eating out much, much less. Otherwise not much of a change. I make almost all meals "from scratch" (no frozen/refrigerated prepared foods, etc.) and do not worry about ingredients being organic. I feel that it's better to eat a lot of affordable, nonorganic fruits and vegetables than just a few pricey organic ones.

I did stop buying lettuce for a few weeks there when Romaine was $5 a head. Today it was $1.49, so I picked some up. That is doable.

Eggs have not gone up significantly here; $2.29/dozen.

Overall, food inflation has been more of an irritating nickel-and-dime thing (which still adds up), except for meat. While I can still get deals at the fresh meat counter, the price of frozen chicken, for example, has become ridiculous. So I rely more on the old standby $4.99 Costco rotisserie chicken.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:21 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
I still buy almond butter but cut back on avocados. I still only use olive oil. I also cut back on fish but still have it sometimes. I usually eat inexpensive things anyway, make my own soups like black bean soup, corn chowder. I usually stay away from making foods with expensive ingredients. Sometimes just broth with a few noodles in it on a chilly day is really good for lunch or dinner. I think it's been over a year since I bought a beef steak but I still eat chicken and some lean pork on occasion.
Tomorrow I'm making eggplant parmigiana for about $12. That will feed me until Christmas Eve for the most part. I recently made cranberry pumpkin bread and have been eating that for breakfast. It's pretty healthy without much sugar, using unsweetened apple sauce in it. It's very inexpensive to make.

I probably spend more on my old cat keeping her healthy than I do myself on food.

Last edited by marino760; 12-19-2022 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement