Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 01:35 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,264,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

- I never thought that I would ever vote for a Republican.
And *I* never thought I'd vote for a Democrat. But last fall, voting in a Presidential election for the 14th time, my ballot choices were mostly Democrats, starting with Joe.

I never thought I'd consider registering as a Democrat, but now I think I may do that this year. The Republican Party that shared (and shaped) my beliefs has disappeared.

I never thought I'd tuck a Kleenex up my sleeve like my mom used to do. But I found myself doing that the other day, when there was simply nowhere else to put it.

I never thought I'd get to the point where I don't know 80% of the hosts and 99% of the musical acts on Saturday Night Live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 01:45 PM

557 posts, read 299,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I never thought I'd tuck a Kleenex up my sleeve like my mom used to do. But I found myself doing that the other day, when there was simply nowhere else to put it.
The first time I started doing this, my husband realized that I had turned into his mother. Heeeeheeehee...
But really, things run more when you are older and you need Kleenex. Also, when you were young, you just used your shirtsleeve.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,989,038 times
Quote:

I've taken to keeping a Kleenex in my bra, never thought I'd do that.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:25 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times
I guess 2 things stand out.

1. I never imagined getting a chronic, debilitating disease.

2. Never in any imagination would I forsee the uttering of these words "DH is outside shooting squirrels right now." But alas, that is currently occuring. (I'm glad, they are trying to raid my garden)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2021, 03:30 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,101,432 times
Quote:
And *I* never thought I'd vote for a Democrat. But last fall, voting in a Presidential election for the 14th time, my ballot choices were mostly Democrats, starting with Joe.

I never thought I'd consider registering as a Democrat, but now I think I may do that this year. The Republican Party that shared (and shaped) my beliefs has disappeared.

Same here, I've been registered as a repub for as long as I've been registered...but last year I cast a vote for a dem...because all of the repubs running for the position were acting too stupid about #Covid.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,595,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I never anticipated saying or thinking "I'm too old for this" unless it was sky-diving or mogul-skiing. Now it's like when the bus takes off before I can sit down.
That is one of the reasons (in blue) that I had to stop taking the city metro buses. There were other reasons I had to stop though too. And it's a great city metro bus system. Taking off before you are seated causes a bunch of problems and potential problems.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Same here, I've been registered as a repub for as long as I've been registered...but last year I cast a vote for a dem...because all of the repubs running for the position were acting too stupid about #Covid.
Me, I vote for what the odds are at the time. Been thinking "tactically" since the 2004 election because the stakes have gotten that serious.

In 2000, I voted for Nader, a belief that if he won, it would be someone to dead lock things for a while, slow them down. But then 9-11 happened and things became too serious to waste one's only chance on hope alone.

NOW, did I ever think I would be viewing voting that way instead of this or that party alone? I don't think so EXCEPT, at one time it worked on hope that no matter who number 1 was, there were still other factors to keep it under control. I am no longer as optimistic.

I certainly have no love for Hillary Clinton....but I voted for her in the primary for I certainly didn't want Mr. Obama to get the nomination. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, odds, and all that stuff.

On other fronts, it may not have been that I never thought it would be but rather, I just didn't calculate things out that far. In Sunday school and even in the service, they asked me if I was always going to be unmarried, if I wanted to be alone forever. While on the list of possibilities there was the one of "falling heads over heels in love", it has turned out the way those others were seeing.

I go back over the years, endlessly, asking the question of why it turned out this way, that for the answers I get, "Is that really the way it is?", where my prowess generates "those that feel me near, close their blinds and change their minds", and about the only consoling factor is that I didn't cause it by running away from the altar. In its own, reassuring way, not a decision I made, just the way it turned out.

Right now, now that I have lost my membership card to Mount Olympus, I suppose there is another set of "did I ever think" conditions in effect.......did I ever think I would have to approach life using an entirely different set of parameters?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-26-2021 at 06:44 PM..

Old 06-26-2021, 06:35 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,090,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Never in any imagination would I forsee the uttering of these words "DH is outside shooting squirrels right now." But alas, that is currently occuring. (I'm glad, they are trying to raid my garden)
I find it ironic that a gardener is glad their husband is busy killing "nature's gardener."

While squirrels usually won’t go after large animals such as rats, they have been known to go after birds, insects (such as crickets ), and mice. Mice provide a valuable source of protein and fat to squirrels, and squirrels will sometimes attack mice so that they have a warm, fresh source of food during the summer months.

If you wonder, “Will mice eat my vegetable garden?”, the answer is a resounding, “yes.” Mice are opportunistic and vegetable damage is one of the common mouse garden problems.

Crickets occasionally invade gardens, causing damage to vegetables. Normally, they migrate in from weedy areas that are drying up and cause damage only for a short time. Large numbers can destroy several rows of seedlings in a day or two.

A constant denominator in gardening is the presence of birds no matter where a vegetable garden is located. The birds can be any species from pigeons that are famous for ravaging cabbages, crows or magpies that have a special relationship with sweet corn, and pheasants that dig up potatoes plants to have a go at the tubers.

Squirrels also help keep other garden pests in check...Im just saying...

Last edited by ComeCloser; 06-26-2021 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-26-2021, 06:45 PM

65 posts, read 41,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Never ever occurred to me that I would out-live my ridiculously healthy much younger love-of-my life.
That is heartbreaking. Tell us more of your story and time together?

Old 06-26-2021, 06:47 PM

65 posts, read 41,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I guess 2 things stand out.

1. I never imagined getting a chronic, debilitating disease.
Lupus ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement