Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 08:31 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I know what you mean. I was reading about these evangelicals (it is not mainstream Protestantism or Catholicism) and their pastors do get vaccinated usually but they are afraid to urge their congregations to get vaccinated. When they try to tell them about vaccinations, the people leave the church.

These pastors are even afraid to admit that they, themselves, are vaccinated. It just does not get through to these people. They are brainwashed. They have certain radio stations that they listen to and certain social media and they only talk to each other so they never learn anything.

Mainstream Christianity is PRO vaccine. It's these breakaway evangelical sects that don't want vaccines for some reason. I don't know what their reason is either. What does getting vaccinated have to do with religion, unless you're a Christian Scientist. I know they don't believe in medicine. They think God will protect them from everything but obviously that's not true.
My BIL and SIL are extreme Catholics. They live on what they themselves call a "compound" with the family, they have 9 children, homeschool, don't have any sort of media in their homes, etc. They are not vaccinated, nor will they allow their older children to be vaccinated, nor do they do any mitigations. But they don't leave the compound much.

I don't think their children have any vaccines although both my BIL/SIL received the full load when growing up and BIL used to be in the military so he's had all that.

I don't know what their rationale is but it is deeply rooted in their religious convictions. They basically don't buy into any of the "modern civiliation" stuff. They believe it's the downfall of society and corrupts children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 09:49 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Of course this is true, that's why I really take offense when people start talking about "Christians" not getting vaccinated. The vast majority of Christians of many denominations have no problem with vaccinations. In 2019 there were 205 million Christians in the U.S.
Can you imagine what the vaccination percentage would be right now in the U.S. if Christians in general were anti-vaccine?
Yep, it is the preacher goofballs like this guy here in Tennessee who is spreading the anti-vaccination mantra. Mainstream religion doesn't want anything to do with him.

https://baptistnews.com/article/past.../#.YRPwpohKiUk

Old 08-11-2021, 12:24 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My BIL and SIL are extreme Catholics. They live on what they themselves call a "compound" with the family, they have 9 children, homeschool, don't have any sort of media in their homes, etc. They are not vaccinated, nor will they allow their older children to be vaccinated, nor do they do any mitigations. But they don't leave the compound much.

I don't think their children have any vaccines although both my BIL/SIL received the full load when growing up and BIL used to be in the military so he's had all that.

I don't know what their rationale is but it is deeply rooted in their religious convictions. They basically don't buy into any of the "modern civiliation" stuff. They believe it's the downfall of society and corrupts children.

The great majority of my family is Christian. Even have a 1st cousin that is a pastor. Most very active in church. All have been vaccinated, not all the little ones but they are getting there.

I have ONE cousin on the other side of the family, extremely religious, and she even works in a nursing home, though she herself is just administrative - not medical. All the nurses in that home have refused the vaccine, and they have talked her into doing the same. They all caught it a couple of months ago.

Some folks just don't have all the lights on I guess.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:51 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
We have a neighbor across the street from our California home. He comes from a large family. Today he told us they buried his BIL a few days ago. Covid. "He thought he had a better idea," our neighbor said. "He had 15 months to make up his mind and this is the result."

Old 08-13-2021, 07:47 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
It’s not all Christians. I belong to a United Methodist church, and we are about 80% vaccinated. The 20% that haven’t gotten it are mainly children under the age of 12. However, we do have some nondenominational churches in town preaching the evils of the vaccine and masks. I’m pretty sure we must not be reading the same Bible.
Same here. I also belong to a United Methodist Church (my church is a member of the Wesleyan Covenant Association), am a Trump supporter, and have been fully vaccinated since April 15. Vaccination status is not something I have discussed with my fellow church members (I avoid talking about politics, too). Wayne & Holmes counties have a large Amish population, which probably accounts for the lower vaccination rate among adults here. I also get the influenza vaccine each year, even though it never seems to be effective against the current strains.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:47 AM

To continue the defense of churches, the Wayne County Health Department was able to use the Nazarene church for COVID-19 vaccinations. The Health Department does not have any facilities of this size. I assume the church provided the use of its facilities without charge. The public schools that you pay for with your taxes have become quite picky about who is allowed inside their facilities. My polling place was moved from the local school to a church years ago. In fact, as I scanned the Wayne County Polling Locations list, I saw a number of churches listed, but no public schools.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:17 AM

Here's an interesting survey. Vaccine Hesitancy in the US by Education Level:
https://unherd.com/thepost/the-most-...p-of-all-phds/

Master's degrees show the least hesitancy, while PhDs show the most hesitancy. I wonder what the results would be if PdDs were further divided into STEM & Non_STEM degrees. Years ago, I read about the anti-vaccination movement in the Pacific Northwest. The typical anti-vaccination person had a college degree, but not a STEM degree.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:32 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,507,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Here's an interesting survey. Vaccine Hesitancy in the US by Education Level:
https://unherd.com/thepost/the-most-...p-of-all-phds/

Master's degrees show the least hesitancy, while PhDs show the most hesitancy. I wonder what the results would be if PdDs were further divided into STEM & Non_STEM degrees. Years ago, I read about the anti-vaccination movement in the Pacific Northwest. The typical anti-vaccination person had a college degree, but not a STEM degree.
PhD holders account for 2.1% of folks surveyed. They also used FB as a tool! Too bad the publication doesn't show any cross tabs - it would be nice to see how the PhD group looks when you control for other factors, like political affiliation. It would be nice too to see a better definition of what they mean by PhD. Does it include only research PhD, or also include things like PT and psych "doctorates"?

Old 08-14-2021, 06:57 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
I have not read all 253 pages of this discussion, but it seems that a lot of the discussions are about those who have refused vaccination and often also refuse to wear masks.

Personally, I think it is all but impossible to cure stupid. Instead it seems the resurgence of Covid should push us towards self protective measures. It seems past time for employers to mandate vaccination. At the very least, the unvaccinated should have to wear masks and undergo frequent testing. Another big issue, is the clogging of the hospitals and other healthcare facilities by the unvaccinated who develop serious Covid disease. It seems way past time to stop hospital admissions for unvaccinated adults with Covid. They can return home to deal with the disease and leave the facilities available to others with healthcare needs.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:04 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,565 times
Vaccine Hesitancy is a global issue. People want it to be individual choice based on individual freedom, not a mandate. Of course, that's coupled with the thinking that everyone is an "expert"! Certainly no easy solution to the issue as it's not very "cut and dry". Individual choice impacts others. As more activities require proof of vaccination, that may end up influencing whether to get it or not, especially if it's an activity you'd like to do e.g cruise, a job etc. It's a dynamic situation and changes daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement