Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 10:07 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Apparently your friend and his doctor don't agree with you.

Are you a physician? More to the point, are you his physician?

I get it. But you can't micro-manage someone else's healthcare unless you have a POA. All you can do is make suggestions and that you have already done.
You sound like a wonderful person. Thanks a lot for your support.

(disclaimer - this post is dripping with sarcasm)

This part isn't: I'm a caring friend and I'm very worried about him. He's 70 years old. Just my opinion that I think he should be getting better care. Discussed with another friend of mine and he agrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 10:38 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You sound like a wonderful person. Thanks a lot for your support.

(disclaimer - this post is dripping with sarcasm)

This part isn't: I'm a caring friend and I'm very worried about him. He's 70 years old. Just my opinion that I think he should be getting better care. Discussed with another friend of mine and he agrees.
You are right to worry, because here is a danger with COVID. They often don't realize they are not getting enough oxygen until they get to the point where they are weak and gasping for air. That's how people are found dead in their homes of COVID. They feel OK enough to stay home, but the oxygen cannot get through the inflammation and pus that they don't know is building in their lungs.

This is what happened to my sister. She waited too long to go to the hospital. When she got one of those finger things and checked her oxygen on the advice of her doctor who told her to go to the hospital if it was below 90%, it was 74%. She had just that day started feeling as if she couldn't get enough air, but the pneumonia had already taken hold in her lungs.

By the way, today for the first time, we have encouraging news. My sister is still on the vent in the COVID ICU, but she is responding to requests to squeeze the nurses' hands and her eyes are tracking them when they speak. They did a brain scan and eeg and it shows normal activity. We are allowing ourselves to hope.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
sheesh......all I can do is shake my head and hope and pray for MQ's sister and others on this thread who are dealing with this. Once Covid takes hold, the battle is a tough one. Early treatment is critical. Day One Treatment w/Regeneron and other protocols turned Trump's experience into a misleading example of a one-week ailment.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...ent-plan-68023

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...treatment.html

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...d-19-treatment

So much pain, suffering, possible lifetime debilitation, not to mention death, could be avoided if everyone could access the proper treatment protocol immediately.

Christie, Giuliani went into the hospital as soon as they were diagnosed and were immediately infused w/Regeneron. They were out in a week. No one 70 y/o should take a wait and see attitude, imo.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:08 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Last I've heard today is my cousin is making it out of the hospital and over to a Long Term Care facility today. She still requires a lot of care but she is now able to have a conversation (talk) and be more with it.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:20 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
MQ, fingers are crossed for your sister. As you said elsewhere, it's like a roller coaster. I hope she gets completely better.

I have a friend in the hospital with COVID. He doesn't live anywhere near me but I spoke with him on the phone yesterday and he is on oxygen and doesn't seem to be doing too badly. He'd had one shot of Moderna and was due for the second shot on April 9th.

Meanwhile his 80 yr old woman friend isn't returning my calls and I'm worried about her because she is totally not vaccinated. She is homebound and had no way to get the shot unless someone could come to the house. My friend in the hospital said the senior center is working on getting the shot for her but I just hope it's not too late as she saw him the day before he tested positive.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:25 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
sheesh......all I can do is shake my head and hope and pray for MQ's sister and others on this thread who are dealing with this. Once Covid takes hold, the battle is a tough one. Early treatment is critical. Day One Treatment w/Regeneron and other protocols turned Trump's experience into a misleading example of a one-week ailment.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...ent-plan-68023

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...treatment.html

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...d-19-treatment

So much pain, suffering, possible lifetime debilitation, not to mention death, could be avoided if everyone could access the proper treatment protocol immediately.

Christie, Giuliani went into the hospital as soon as they were diagnosed and were immediately infused w/Regeneron. They were out in a week. No one 70 y/o should take a wait and see attitude, imo.
Yeah, that's not going to happen with the average person, though. They don't want you in the hospital unless you absolutely need to be.

As mentioned, my sister's error was not checking he oxygen levels soon enough, but she had no idea it could be so low because she wasn't feeling short of breath until it was almost too late. She is only 60, and she was much more worried about our brother (54) and her husband (68) because they both have serious heart ailments. But they both came through it with mild symptoms, and she ended up on the ventilator. COVID is just not as predictable as people wish it were.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:34 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
When my levels hit the mid 80’s we called an ambulance....they admitted me immediately.

Two weeks later they released me but I had to go on home care ...they delivered oxygen generators.

After the first day home I didn’t need the generators anymore

Old 04-03-2021, 04:37 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
MQ, it is so good to hear your sister is doing better. (((hugs)))

It's a good reminder that if you catch Covid you should have a oximeter at home and test yourself a couple times a day. It's an inexpensive piece of equipment that could save your life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2021, 06:34 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm worried about a friend of mine who I've known for 47 years. He sounds pretty bad and I told him he needs to go to a hospital. Then again he didn't listen to me when I told him to get the vaccine and after I told him he wasn't taking coronavirus seriously enough. He told me he had a virtual appointment with his doctor after a positive Covid test. His treatment is basically Tylenol and vitamins. Not kidding. I guess this is the state of healthcare in America...

I've lost 2 friends very recently (both 45 + years friendship, not due to Covid) and I don't want to go through this again.
This is bull****. If he's local, he is/was eligible to receive the monoclonal antibody treatment at the Civic Center. https://www.umms.org/coronavirus/fig...enter-patients

Perhaps you can convince him to let you speak with his doctor or at least have the doctor conduct another virtual appointment with you present. I suspect if he goes to the E.R. he will no longer be eligible to receive the transfusion. Sometimes you have to be obnoxiously pushy. This is one of those times.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:05 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
MightyQueen — thanks for the update. Fingers crossed she continues to recover!!
Take care of YOURSELF as you’ve been under a lot of duress and stress from all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement