Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times

Advertisements

Over & over again, I see posts where people claim they look younger than their age.

Serious question & speaking as someone who pretty much looks my age (71), Why does someone who is retired & whether or not interested in romance care how old s/he looks?

I don't get it. To clarify, I work hard to stay in good physical condition, that's important to me because being strong & flexible & energetic enhances my quality of life. But I don't give a fig about "looking younger" than I am.

What am I missing out on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Over & over again, I see posts where people claim they look younger than their age.

Serious question & speaking as someone who pretty much looks my age (71), Why does someone who is retired & whether or not interested in romance care how old s/he looks?

I don't get it. To clarify, I work hard to stay in good physical condition, that's important to me because being strong & flexible & energetic enhances my quality of life. But I don't give a fig about "looking younger" than I am.

My husband's death slammed me with a lot of problems. I visibly aged -a lot- in a few years.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I think it is a vanity thing.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband's death slammed me with a lot of problems. I visibly aged -a lot- in a few years.
I get it, my posting this thread was in response to the "gray hair" thread. My son's accident (hit by a freight train), which I've related elsewhere on this forum, slammed me too.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:24 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:

Alot. You get loads of compliments, smiles, better treatment, and people wanting to socialize with you more. And it makes you feel better when you look better. I think you should try it before ruling it out.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:10 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times
Quote:
I get it, my posting this thread was in response to the "gray hair" thread. My son's accident (hit by a freight train), which I've related elsewhere on this forum, slammed me too.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:12 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times
No, it does not bother me to look my age (77). I'm still here and can still see myself in the mirror. I'm grateful for that.

IMHO, I think people who want/try to look younger than they are have a few problems.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:50 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Biscuitmom:

First my condolences on the tragic loss of your son.

Next, I think I look my age, but apparently not.
People, both my age and older, and the young ones don't seem to think I'm in my high 50s.

I'd figure being half bald, and my gray beard would be a dead give away, but apparently not, cause people tend to think I'm around age 40.

But that's ok!! I just WISH I felt like I did At age 40 again!! Actually I wish I felt like I was when I was 23, before the "aging feeling" chronic medical issues started.

But I definitely feel a lot older than I am, and my body seems to age about 10-15 yrs faster than calendar aging. Just people can't see my medical conditions.

I think it's a hoot that people don't realize I'm "that old."

My recent job, except the owner ( who didn't work there), I was the oldest worker there, only one lady was 7 mos behind me in age, but I was still the oldest. Most of my coworkers did NOT believe I was as old as I am! They were genuinely shocked to find out I was the age of their parents, in some cases! Others who were mid-late30s, or early 40s thought I was their age.

I kinda enjoy it.

Good luck to you biscuitmom!

Old 12-07-2019, 06:16 AM

134 posts, read 158,528 times
I'm one of those letting my hair go gray~ I'm more concerned on my mobility and health than looking younger. I like the automatic senior discounts!

Old 12-07-2019, 06:46 AM

35,096 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Not really. Most people think I am late 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement