Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 09:22 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times

Advertisements

It’s probably genetics. But I don’t do anything to sabotage it either. But when I was working on my last job before I retired, I looked about 10 years older than I was in age. Stress and lack of sleep definitely contributed to that. Not a damn thing I could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 09:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
I agree that stress can age us. So can a lack of sleep, exercise, etc. But I do believe we can rectify these things and look better again afterward.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,591,402 times
To me the most important thing is to look presentable, pleasant, friendly, etc. I have 75 yo friend who dyes her hair orange and looks great because it matches her vibrant, quirky personality. As a former smoker, she has LOTS of wrinkles, but she is quick thinking, active, and lots of fun.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:58 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,328,437 times
All I care is about cleanliness, neatness, looking presentable and respectable.

At work, I see so many people, old and young, wear so much make up, loaded jewelries, fancy clothes; and I hear so many people talk about other people giving them compliments that they look younger than their age, I think to myself "that's BS". They look exactly their age or even older or ridiculous because of their caked faces or inappropriate clothes. They just want to hear lies.

I think people who care too much about the outer look are vain.

When you take too much time to take care of your outer look, you don't have time to take care or improve your inner characters. That's why there are so many people who look beautiful and "sweet" on the outside, but inside they are very insecure and mean. Those people fit in the saying "she has a face of angel and a heart of evil".

To me, I think if you want to look good, be healthy and feel good, you have to have self-discipline, to train yourself to have kind and gentle thoughts, to learn to have good diets and exercise daily.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM

19,691 posts, read 12,270,002 times
I don't care either way. We are all going through this process.. If people won't socialize with me because of it those are not people I want to be around anyway.

It goes both ways. I try to avoid the cougars as much as possible. And don't lie to me that you didn't get fillers or botox, I'm not a fool. One of them had a deep fissure on her face and then one day poof its gone. I say I see you took care of that thing on your forehead you were always complaining about. She says, "what? no." Another one used some kind of over the counter wax like fake filler stuff that had been advertised a lot and it started literally peeling off her face during dinner. She said, oh its just my dry skin, I need moisturizer lol. This is the one who bought me teeth whitener as a gift for the gift exchange.

It's mostly the deception that bothers me. It makes fools out of them and the rest of us.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,638,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
? And why would they not want to socialize, smile at you, compliment you, treat you well unless you looked like a movie star???
Because unfortunately that's how humans are programmed.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 AM

586 posts, read 315,513 times
Default Do you care that you look your age?

No. I'm more concerned that I don't feel my age.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 AM

705 posts, read 563,080 times
At one time I looked much younger than my age but to be honest it never mattered to me one way or the other, I never considered myself vain. Cancer and other illnesses can really add on the years, I'm just glad to still be here.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:07 AM

16,117 posts, read 10,790,938 times
When people tell me I look younger than my age I wonder what their standards and expectations are for someone at 71. Am I supposed to be on a walker or toothless? They are well meaning but I'm not sure that it is a compliment.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:12 AM

19,691 posts, read 12,270,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Because unfortunately that's how humans are programmed.
Maybe in Southern California, not in Portland, Vermont, the Midwest, most of the globe..etc...

We are talking about seniors, not young women having surgery to be Instagram models. There's got to be a line drawn somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement