Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:00 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that believes people will always say you look younger than you really do just to be polite? I was told a long time ago by someone to always knock off 5-7 years when asked to guess someone's age, especially women. It's the nice thing to do. If you're 70 and look 70 do you seriously think someone is going to be honest with you and say, "yes, you do look 70" ?
I do just the opposite regarding myself. If someone asks me how old I am, I tell them I'm 83 when I'm actually 60. Of course they know I'm joking, but they go along with it and tell me how great I look for my age and we have a good laugh, LOL.

Last edited by marino760; 12-07-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 07:03 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,149,677 times
I really mourn the lost of my 20's body and hair. Maybe my hair more than anything. I had tons of thick healthy hair. Now it is thin, but thankfully with no bare spots.

It's not vanity, but a loss of who I once was.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:16 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
In a way, I do because I wasn't given the time to get used to it.
Instead of gradual, like the first batch, seems the last two added the years I thought I very happily skipped
Went from looking around 65 to my now 77, in those two years.
I tell some people that I'm 28......those are the young girls I run into in a store that are buying cigarettes.I warn them that by the time they're 28, they'll be as wrinkled as me.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:19 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,100,236 times
I live in a 55+ community where the average age is 72. An interesting mix of 1/3 men and 2/3s women (they do outlive us). For the most part people look their age with a few of the men obviously letting themselves go to seed. A clique of women I call the Vanity Queens do blatant things like coloring their hair and dressing in clothes appropriate for someone half their age, and an up-close look at some shows the numerous scars from cosmetic surgeries. They’re not fooling anyone, buy hey if it makes them happy...

Old 12-07-2019, 07:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,117,063 times
^^^^^^^^^ and you are in early 30s??

Old 12-07-2019, 07:26 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,307,687 times
I don't mind at all saying I want to look younger than my age, which is 81. Who wants to look 81? I would like people to see me for me, rather than mentally sticking me into a box that says "in her 80's." Those stereotypes do no one any good, but everyone has them.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:27 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,224,091 times
I'm not too concerned about it. I don't have to spend the day looking at myself. I do care about the level of pain I experience on a daily basis.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:09 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Alot. You get loads of compliments, smiles, better treatment, and people wanting to socialize with you more. And it makes you feel better when you look better. I think you should try it before ruling it out.
? And why would they not want to socialize, smile at you, compliment you, treat you well unless you looked like a movie star???

Old 12-07-2019, 08:10 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,666,413 times
This is a hard one.

My life is really good right now. For some reason (laziness?) I quit using my anti aging sunscreen foundation a couple of years ago. At the same time, I started wearing my hair pulled back from my face so that my forehead was exposed for probably the first time in my life. I spend a lot of time out doors. My face aged dramatically. I am 70something.

I have other changes due to health issues (scanty brows, no eyelashes, hooded eyes) but the change in my complexion has aged my appearance the most and I feel like it is the one thing I could have prevented. Periodically, when I look at myself which is seldom, it irritates me.

But it is very nice to just wash all over with the same soap and moisturize with one product head to toe and enjoy the sun without worrying about the brown spots

I admit that when I see a senior who has aged well my first thought is that they have had an easy life. Its mean and it isn't true but that's how I deal with it

seriously Serious Conversation and the rest of you babies posting here? Do you really think you have a clue?????

Old 12-07-2019, 08:20 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
This is a hard one.

My life is really good right now. For some reason (laziness?) I quit using my anti aging sunscreen foundation a couple of years ago. At the same time, I started wearing my hair pulled back from my face so that my forehead was exposed for probably the first time in my life. I spend a lot of time out doors. My face aged dramatically. I am 70something.

I have other changes due to health issues (scanty brows, no eyelashes, hooded eyes) but the change in my complexion has aged my appearance the most and I feel like it is the one thing I could have prevented. Periodically, when I look at myself which is seldom, it irritates me.

But it is very nice to just wash all over with the same soap and moisturize with one product head to toe and enjoy the sun without worrying about the brown spots

I admit that when I see a senior who has aged well my first thought is that they have had an easy life. Its mean and it isn't true but that's how I deal with it

seriously Serious Conversation and the rest of you babies posting here? Do you really think you have a clue?????
They probably also have "good" genes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement