Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2019, 12:02 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times

Advertisements

Volosong..... I'm only surprised that you're surprised

seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 12:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Volosong..... I'm only surprised that you're surprised

seriously
Yeah, I've always been too trusting. Too innocent. "Trust everyone until they do something to make you not trust them." I've rarely been burned and life is unfolding well enough.

I just didn't realize that Firefox, Google, Facebook, and YouTube are exchanging information as they obviously are.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-20-2019, 12:29 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yeah, I've always been too trusting. Too innocent. "Trust everyone until they do something to make you not trust them." I've rarely been burned and life is unfolding well enough.

I just didn't realize that Firefox, Google, Facebook, and YouTube are exchanging information as they obviously are.
They all are. It's called "targeted advertising".

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/a...custom-ads.htm

Old 12-20-2019, 04:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They all are. It's called "targeted advertising".

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/a...custom-ads.htm
My husband had patents related to these targeted advertising back in 2000s time frame so I know about them.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:21 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Now for the conspiracy thing . . . I have a very minimal Facebook presence. Just so that us Sea Cadet officers can give and get information quickly, just our local unit. It is not even under my own name. Two of the pages I like to read on Facebook is "Cycling Over Sixty" and "I Love Cycling". Those pages are filled with all kinds of inspirational and cute little posts and sayings about bicycling.
The Facebook Container in Firefox will prevent Facebook from tracking you around the web. There's another one, Google Container, which is a modified copy of Facebook - my solution is: I use Bing for searching, and almost never use Google any more.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ook-container/

Old 12-21-2019, 02:13 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I've been sick all week.

Finally went to the GP yesterday and got another bronchitis diagnosis. I'm also going to have resume treatment for some latent asthma I've had for years that usually doesn't bother me, but after the breathing treatment and inhaler, I feel much better. I'm going to slow it down this weekend. I'm basically off until Thursday (working just half a day Tuesday), so going to try and take it easy this weekend as we're having good weather Christmas Eve and Christmas. I'd like to get some hiking in. I don't have much of an "off switch," so it's hard for me to lay around. I need tires and will probably be up at Sam's when they open at 9. May take dad to the basketball game at 4, but it will likely be an early bedtime for me after that.

I've been going to bed at 9 or so every night but last night, but waking up bug-eyed around 3-4. I've been up since 3.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:34 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
One of my daughters was recovering from being sick yesterday, that came from business travel recently, I’m glad to have made all the cookies, all she had to do was making mulberry wine. She originally was going to make something dairy free for her friends but she didn’t have time, plus so busy at work.

Today, youngest kid is driving back from the Bay Area, she already at the grapevine and showed us a video that it’s very windy. I hope they don’t get sick because of this weather.

Today, I will be making a chocolate Genoise cake with fondant icing, I had a quote from a bakery and it was $155. Goodness, what a rip off. This is my first fondant icing making experience, it will be fun making it. I don’t know how it will turn out but my husband will surely enjoys eating it.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:09 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Facebook Container in Firefox will prevent Facebook from tracking you around the web. There's another one, Google Container, which is a modified copy of Facebook - my solution is: I use Bing for searching, and almost never use Google any more.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ook-container/
What I was going to say. I use this. (the FB Container).

I thought I was being oh so generous giving each of the GK's (all under 12) $25 for holidays and birthdays. Then I looked it up on an inflation website and found it is about equal to $3 when I was a kid (I used 1965). Guess I will have to cough up a bit more.

Making the 3rd batch of cookies today - made chocolate crinkles, maple pecan bars, and today choc. chip blondies. Spread them around to PO, landlord, neighbor, etc. Also good to have on hand to reciprocate for unexpected presents that may come my way.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:34 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
This evening I found this message in the fortune cookie that accompanied my carry out. "Blessed are the children for they shall inherit the national debt." Whoa! I'm impressed.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:25 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
The grandkids and I baked our annual cheesy dog biscuits today that we give to neighbors with pets. We cut out tiny ones too for the cats. There would have been a few more, but the grandkids like to eat a few biscuits too.

Our neighbors came over this afternoon to visit and sample a few cookies. We made hot spiced cider and spiked it with rum they brought back from a trip in the spring for us. They tried my limoncello too and pronounced it excellent. Finally, a relaxing afternoon with nothing to get done!

I have a sore throat that kicked in this evening and the youngest grandkid has been feeling poorly for a few days too. Poor kid, I’ve been pushing a warm lemon juice, water, honey and ginger drink on him. I’m drinking it now too. I also have an elderberry syrup I’m taking. I’m hoping a good night’s sleep, rest and the placebo effect of the herbals get me through Christmas.

I’ve been sitting outside on the far side of the pool for this view of our tree, it’s relaxing and peaceful.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-22-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement