Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 10:59 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times

Advertisements

DH and our granddaughter worked together making the second panel for an outdoor solar shower enclosure, making use of our pile of harvested bamboo canes. The younger grandson helped pick out the canes to use and built things of his own with leftover scraps. It was a good way to wind up summer vacation, school began this morning. It was a different summer with so many cancelled activities for them, but they are resilient kids and took it all in stride.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Another quarter inch of rain overnight, 40 degrees and crystal clear this morning. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Going fishing.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Another quarter inch of rain overnight, 40 degrees and crystal clear this morning. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Going fishing.
It would be great if we could pipeline some of our rain your way. We are one of the highest points in the county and our property has excellent natural drainage, so flooding is not a problem.

But yesterday we had three “bowls” in the pastures start holding water. The bowl in the main pasture is so deep, the farm tractor can disappear from view, when looking from a certain spot in the driveway— and the tractor has a lid, lol

I guesstimate the water that bowl maxed out at about five feet in depth. The only time it ever filled to the top was during the never-ending rains of 2010 when a lot of Nashville, TN was under water. Water to the top of that bowl would be 30’ maybe more. Little wonder that’s one of horses favorite grazing spots when it’s dry

I remember the building of the Alaskan Pipeline; a guy Imwent to high school with lost his life building it. Back then I asked why couldn’t a pipeline be built to carry ground water to the states who were always (and still are) in need. The answer was “it wouldn’t be profitable enough. That is probably still the answer

Old 09-01-2020, 05:52 PM

Played in the...wait for it...SNOW today! Had to drive my Jeep to 13,000 feet to get to it, but still WOO HOO!!!!!

Old 09-02-2020, 04:57 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
It would be great if we could pipeline some of our rain your way. We are one of the highest points in the county and our property has excellent natural drainage, so flooding is not a problem.

But yesterday we had three “bowls” in the pastures start holding water. The bowl in the main pasture is so deep, the farm tractor can disappear from view, when looking from a certain spot in the driveway— and the tractor has a lid, lol

I guesstimate the water that bowl maxed out at about five feet in depth. The only time it ever filled to the top was during the never-ending rains of 2010 when a lot of Nashville, TN was under water. Water to the top of that bowl would be 30’ maybe more. Little wonder that’s one of horses favorite grazing spots when it’s dry

I remember the building of the Alaskan Pipeline; a guy Imwent to high school with lost his life building it. Back then I asked why couldn’t a pipeline be built to carry ground waterto the states who were always (and still are) in need. The answer was “it wouldn’t be profitable enough. That is probably still the answer
I like that idea too. The eastern part of US gets a good share of rain sometimes too. Parts in Baltimore prone to flooding. Before it gets to those home areas, I’m thinking why no grates that the waters can go down, into some pipeline interconnected to other systems? There would be some kind of reservoir. The fire companies that need it for aerial spraying get first dibs, then ground fire companies use, thirdly - any other. Yea, I’m sure it would be costly to construct but in the future, it might just save more homes and businesses from flooding.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:18 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post

Going fishing.
I'm also in colorado and these last few days of cooler weather and a bit of rain, we are going fishing tonight [San Isobel] We are on severe water restrictions right now[1800 gallons a month per household, until it runs out, which could be any day] and when it rained the other day my husband and I went in the backyard [no neighbors] and showered there.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:55 AM

Soooo I turned 69 yesterday, we shall see if "69 is Devine".

Spent the day fishing at 10,000 feet no cell service, no radio, no one around. Very peaceful and quiet. Brilliant sunshine and 55 degrees.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Happy Birthday Jim. Sounds like you treated yourself to a great day.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:31 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Happy Birthday Jim!

Each year is divine, from your more mature ?!, /older Poster .

Old 09-03-2020, 03:53 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Happy Birthday, jim9521! What a perfect way to celebrate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement