Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 05:34 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Updates to this question, anyone?
I was thinking the same thing today. Wondering if anyone had changed their minds about staying in NE after this, and last, winter. Lordy, I feel so sorry for you guys. I've lived it and don't want to again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Compare winter weather in NC (coastal region) with points North. Here's a fer instance:

Today: snow on ground 0 inches
YTD: snow shoveled: 0 inches

Yes, temps are going down to the 20's at night with a 16 degree night this Thursday...but then it's warming up to the 50's after that and azaleas will be blooming in March.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Compare winter weather in NC (coastal region) with points North. Here's a fer instance:

Today: snow on ground 0 inches
YTD: snow shoveled: 0 inches

Yes, temps are going down to the 20's at night with a 16 degree night this Thursday...but then it's warming up to the 50's after that and azaleas will be blooming in March.
OK! That's what I want to hear.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was thinking the same thing today. Wondering if anyone had changed their minds about staying in NE after this, and last, winter. Lordy, I feel so sorry for you guys. I've lived it and don't want to again!
AZ, if it weren't for the grandtwins I would be so out of here. I love New England, it's my "homeland." But this elder, like so many others, has just had it. If I lived in Boston I'd be packing right now, and Boston is a wonderful city. No place is perfect, but basic physical comfort levels cannot be denied.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Catsy, in addition to your good observations...

I think boomers are planners, much more than our parents/grandparents, who may have snowbirded but did not relocate. We plan more because we research, we have the media and Internet, and we have the imagination for living in other places, having traveled more domestically.

For those in the northern winter tier, there's often a complex set of reasons spurring a move. If it were just "climate/weather" but not high COL, many of us could deal with that single factor. Those who are retired near metro areas have congestion/traffic woes they're tired of. For me it's not only climate/winter but higher and higher taxes. Of three or four factors being evaluated, more than one usually pushes one toward a move in retirement. Unless of course there's a fixed factor like post-retirement job, or family.
You sound like there is something wrong with Snowbirding ?! That's not uncommon , I felt that way once myself. For me , I did my seeing North America while in my 40s and 50s, so packing up for the winter was no big deal. What was is , where to go for more than two weeks ( it's hard to stop moving ) when to actually leave and when to come back. The way I see it , don't wait till 65 or 70 to make that , what could be , your last one....

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
It does not seem, from looking at online reports, that NC is a whole lot better than points just north. Perhaps North Carolinians here can speak of their winter so far, in terms of cold, ice, etc.
Been here 5 years one winter 4" snow gone the next day when it hit 60, another year 2" snow gone by evening. Last week it was 70 degrees yesterday it was 30. I have not worn a Winter coat or my LL Bean boots in 5 years.

Negative, two years ago we had 7 straight days of over 105 degrees.Good thing we have A/C.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Been here 5 years one winter 4" snow gone the next day when it hit 60, another year 2" snow gone by evening. Last week it was 70 degrees yesterday it was 30. I have not worn a Winter coat or my LL Bean boots in 5 years.

Negative, two years ago we had 7 straight days of over 105 degrees.Good thing we have A/C.
New England isn't a stranger to 95- or 100-degree temps. Fortunately, it does not last long, usually a few days.

Your report on snow needs to be added to brokensky's report on the winter icy driving conditions in WNC.

What part of NC are you?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
New England isn't a stranger to 95- or 100-degree temps. Fortunately, it does not last long, usually a few days.

Your report on snow needs to be added to brokensky's report on the winter icy driving conditions in WNC.

What part of NC are you?
Golf capital of the USA, no beach, no girly bars, just golf. Pinehurst, NC

Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
It does not seem, from looking at online reports, that NC is a whole lot better than points just north. Perhaps North Carolinians here can speak of their winter so far, in terms of cold, ice, etc.
There are at least five distinct regions in NC (Mountains, Piedmont/Foothills, Sandhills, Upper and Lower Coastal Plain, Islands). What happens in one area of the state will not necessarily occur in other areas.

Many of these regions have eco-systems within the region, such as the Grandfather Mountain ecosystem in the mountains of NC.

So . . . no way to report what a typical winter is like in NC without first specifying a region of the state.

Thus far, as is typical, the mountains have received snow and not much ice as far as precip. The problem with snow and rain in the mountains is freezing temps and ice that forms over night, after snow has melted during the day. So every day is a new day . . . icy patches may form in certain areas but there are always new opportunities for slick spots with below freezing temps.

As a note: I have dealt with sub freezing temps, snow and ice in Boone and Blowing Rock and then driven "down the mountain" 45 minutes to be greeted with sunny skies and no precip whatsoever. The elevation and ecosystems cause great differences at times in weather in this state.

As for the rest of the state of NC, many areas rarely see snow and ice. I read several years ago that it only takes 1/4 inch of ice on power lines to bring them down. And then there are falling trees that affect power lines, as well. So there can be power outages even with very little ice.

It is not rare to go an entire winter season without accumulating snow in most areas of the state, other than the mountains.

Folks tend to think that Nor'easters are reserved for states in the North East, but that is a myth! Nor'easters plow through NC and can cause severe weather storms.

A typical winter in NC may start off with shirt weather at Thanksgiving and snow in February, but then . . . natives realize it is as common to have cold temps at Thanksgiving and an early Spring. In other words, charts can provide you trends over time, but every year is different here. In general, winters are mild in NC, with occasional accumulating snow in the Piedmont -- and very little snow in the rest of the state, other than the mountains. And every so often, there can be an ice storm that causes major power outages and airport shut downs!

We won't get into tropical storms and hurricanes . . . that is also a weather consideration for some regions of the state.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Golf capital of the USA, no beach, no girly bars, just golf. Pinehurst, NC
Pinehurst is in the Sandhills of NC, for anyone not familiar with the various regions of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement