Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times

Advertisements

Here is what you get if you try to log in online to your account at 4am: I especially like the "immediate assistance" hours, which are shorter than the regular hours.

-----------------------

This service is not available at this time.

Please try again during our regular service hours (Eastern Time):
Day
Service Hours
Monday-Friday 5:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Saturday 5:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
Federal Holidays Same hours as the day the holiday occurs.

If you need immediate assistance:
You may call us Monday through Friday: 7:00AM - 7:00PM at:
1-800-772-1213
If you are deaf or hard-of-hearing, call our toll-free TTY number:
1-800-325-0778

Last edited by cebuan; 12-05-2019 at 02:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 03:40 AM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
I have an online account with the SSA, it's my fiance who can't create one and his credit reports aren't frozen.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:32 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Perhaps I missed the explanation- but why does SSA need access to your credit reports? They need your SS#, your bank number, and thats about it. They check your tax returns every year. Etc. no reason for credit reporting access.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:40 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Perhaps I missed the explanation- but why does SSA need access to your credit reports? They need your SS#, your bank number, and thats about it. They check your tax returns every year. Etc. no reason for credit reporting access.
They use it to check your identity when you sign up. Credit bureau generates questions for you to answer based on credit report info. Pull your free credit report from annualcreditreport.org before you sign up. So you know what to answer.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:31 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Well . . . this is interesting. Why does the Social Security Administration need access to my credit bureau account information?

Since they no longer send yearly account statements of earning and potential benefits based on year of retirement, and that I just turned 62 and can receive benefits if I so chose to do so, I tried to sign up for the new on-line mySocialSecurity system.

After filling out all of my very personal information, I checked the "accept terms" box and hit the next button. It came back saying that they cannot create an account for my social security number with a "contact us" hyperlink. I telephoned the supplied 800 number and after going through all the "press 1 for english" and other options, I was told that the wait time would be approximately 17 minutes.

Fifty-two minutes later, a helpful gentleman comes on line and asks how he can help. After again giving him my very personal information, he tells me to wait and goes away for a couple of minutes. He comes back on and says that since I have my Experian credit account frozen, I cannot create a mySocialSecurity account.

I'll either need to un-freeze that account or go into a local Social Security Administration office. I'm not about to un-freeze my account, (frozen for identity theft prevention purposes), and am doubtful how helpful a local office would be.

For those of you desiring to create a mySocialSecurity account and have frozen your credit . . . you're out of luck, it seems.
There are two ways and yes it happened to us. You can unfreeze your account temporarily (unfortunately that didn't work because my husband tried too many times to set it up originally) or visit a local office. We did this and got a temporary password from the local office and was able to go home and set it up and put in a new password. They use experian to verify you are who you say you are using information you provide like where you currently live and your past addresses. All credit bureaus if you have setup a credit freeze allow you to go in and do a short term unfreeze for situations where you need to unfreeze it or to unfreeze and then refreeze but that relies on you remembering to go back in and freeze it again. Go to your local office, it's easy not a problem. Also note before you flip out, that once you set up your account every time you sign in they will text your phone with a code. Again, security measures to prevent access. Your social security file and number are the most important thing to safeguard.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I have an online account with the SSA, it's my fiance who can't create one and his credit reports aren't frozen.
If he made any kind of error 3 times he will be locked out from being able to. He can visit the local office and they will issue a temporary password to gain access and setup the account.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:26 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post

It's to stop hackers from setting up a MySocialSecurity account using your name, your SS#, and their bank account.
The SS administration generates off-the-wall questions from your credit report that almost no one else would be able to guess. It is the same routine that the credit report agencies use to verify your identity when you try to access your own credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement