Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 AM

419 posts, read 656,263 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at Del Webb in fort mill sc. It is near Charlotte NC. Listed under NC on del Webb site

My big concern in finding a place is medical.

Wow did not realize Nashville was in tornado ally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
That one has the pricing of North Carolina without the tax advantages of North Carolina.

Medical is very high on our list of concerns as well. It's one of the reasons we may just stay here. We are a couple of minutes away from 2 hospitals, 2 large clinics, and a number of large specialty groups. Tough to match.

Click on the three maps at the right side on this site for tornado information.

Tornado Alley Maps and Information

Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
...In a ten-mile radius there is one female doctor, not that many in total. Closest urologist we could find is 25 miles away. Edit: They have "Nephrologists" which is apparently the same thing?...
Urologists and nephrologists are totally different. Nephrologists are kidney doctors. My brother is a nephrologist - and he deals with things like kidney failure - dialysis - kidney cancer - etc. Urologists deal with different parts of the urinary tract. Like bladders and stuff that affects them (like prostate glands). Note that there are other docs that deal with urinary organs too - like urogynecologists (who deal with some female urinary organ issues). Basically - if you're an older guy with a common older guy problem - like an enlarged prostate - you want a urologist - not a nephrologist - and certainly not a urogynecologist .

What did you think of Amelia Island? I live about an hour south of there. Note that our medical facilities in the greater JAX metro area are . We didn't move here to be near them (because Mayo JAX was a baby when we moved here) - but they're something that might keep us from moving down the road. Robyn

Old 06-29-2013, 04:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
That one has the pricing of North Carolina without the tax advantages of North Carolina.

Medical is very high on our list of concerns as well. It's one of the reasons we may just stay here. We are a couple of minutes away from 2 hospitals, 2 large clinics, and a number of large specialty groups. Tough to match.

Click on the three maps at the right side on this site for tornado information.

Tornado Alley Maps and Information
Del Webb. Carolina Preserve in Cary NC has excellent medical services in the area.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Urologists and nephrologists are totally different. Nephrologists are kidney doctors. My brother is a nephrologist - and he deals with things like kidney failure - dialysis - kidney cancer - etc. Urologists deal with different parts of the urinary tract. Like bladders and stuff that affects them (like prostate glands). Note that there are other docs that deal with urinary organs too - like urogynecologists (who deal with some female urinary organ issues). Basically - if you're an older guy with a common older guy problem - like an enlarged prostate - you want a urologist - not a nephrologist - and certainly not a urogynecologist .

What did you think of Amelia Island? I live about an hour south of there. Note that our medical facilities in the greater JAX metro area are . We didn't move here to be near them (because Mayo JAX was a baby when we moved here) - but they're something that might keep us from moving down the road. Robyn
I appreciate the explanation of the differences. We've not had time to look into it further.

We like Amelia Island. One of the reasons we stayed there was because we visited there four years ago and liked it. We'd definitely visit again. Beautiful beaches, great restaurants; on the beach and downtown both. They've done a really good job with the downtown area. Clean, pretty, plenty of parking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Del Webb. Carolina Preserve in Cary NC has excellent medical services in the area.
Thanks. I know we checked it a while back and will look at it again. Never close a door; you may miss something on the other side.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Tek_Freek, I have zero interest in Hilton Head, Sun City, 55+ communities, or golf. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed reading your detailed and descriptive account of your experience. Kudos!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
I appreciate the explanation of the differences. We've not had time to look into it further.

We like Amelia Island. One of the reasons we stayed there was because we visited there four years ago and liked it. We'd definitely visit again. Beautiful beaches, great restaurants; on the beach and downtown both. They've done a really good job with the downtown area. Clean, pretty, plenty of parking, etc.

Thanks. I know we checked it a while back and will look at it again. Never close a door; you may miss something on the other side.
There is also a new one developing in Durham which is in the Triangle.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Default Awesome Report

Thanks Tek Great report. DW and I are going to SC beginning Tuesday for a quick first time visit. The last time I was in SC besides driving through was a week at Ft Jackson waiting to be transferred to FT Gordon GA for basic training in 1976.

We are staying in Summerville at a Guest house rented from Homeaway dot com. It gives us the freedom of a home and kitchen to save us a little on eating. It is also in the area of Charleston so that we can sitesee and tour what many have been telling us is a beautiful city.

We are planning to visit both the Canebay Del Webb and the SunCity just south of Charlotte. We will probably not get to deep into the weeds with either as we are still a few years from buying in. Honestly we are not looking for a new build but will want a resale.

Our plan is to talk to a few people at both and get a sense of the community, and the lifestyle. See what people there get involved with and in. Look around at the surrounding community as you did and scope out what medical facilities are out there. See where the grocery stores are. Check some of the prices there. Drive around the places.

The weather looks like we will see rain every day. 84 to 86 from Tuesday through to Friday so far. If I remember right though the showers are like clockwork. It is sunny most of the day then rain. After that it is humid and muggy.

I will do the same as you posting my thoughts and comments on a new thread. Thanks again.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Just a hint... We have toured a number of 55+ communities. One thing we noticed when visiting is that the communities seem to be very quiet between 1:30-3:00 p.m. (nap time??). We have arrived a few times and saw virtually no one about in the summer during this period of the day. We went simply to tour the facility and didn't stay the night. If you are staying there, of course you'll see people at other times of the day.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Thanks Tek Great report. DW and I are going to SC beginning Tuesday for a quick first time visit. The last time I was in SC besides driving through was a week at Ft Jackson waiting to be transferred to FT Gordon GA for basic training in 1976.

We are staying in Summerville at a Guest house rented from Homeaway dot com. It gives us the freedom of a home and kitchen to save us a little on eating. It is also in the area of Charleston so that we can sitesee and tour what many have been telling us is a beautiful city.

We are planning to visit both the Canebay Del Webb and the SunCity just south of Charlotte. We will probably not get to deep into the weeds with either as we are still a few years from buying in. Honestly we are not looking for a new build but will want a resale.

Our plan is to talk to a few people at both and get a sense of the community, and the lifestyle. See what people there get involved with and in. Look around at the surrounding community as you did and scope out what medical facilities are out there. See where the grocery stores are. Check some of the prices there. Drive around the places.

The weather looks like we will see rain every day. 84 to 86 from Tuesday through to Friday so far. If I remember right though the showers are like clockwork. It is sunny most of the day then rain. After that it is humid and muggy.

I will do the same as you posting my thoughts and comments on a new thread. Thanks again.
Summerville is an area we have considered as well. Unfortunately the Sun City is out in the boonies.

If you are readers don't forget to check out libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement