Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:19 PM

105 posts, read 201,944 times

Advertisements

I hate the fact that people complain about California, move from CA to Nevada and then want to turn this into California. If you want this to be a lot of CA, please don't come here. A lot of what happened in California
is now happening here. I am not sure when you people move that what you ran from you cannot escape because you want to bring it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 AM

30 posts, read 128,957 times
Thinking of moving to Reno from CA's western annex (Hawaii). This is not good news.
What are some examples a "Californians" ruining Reno?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM

11,448 posts, read 14,497,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Thinking of moving to Reno from CA's western annex (Hawaii). This is not good news.
What are some examples a "Californians" ruining Reno?
[mod cut- personal attack]

I just moved here from Florida and Reno is beautiful, the weather is great and there is no traffic. In fact I'd say Reno has far exceeded our expectations. Yesterday we drove up to hike (ten minutes away) and trekked 5 miles in the beautiful mountains.

Everybody we met was friendly, said "hello" and we had short conversations with a few. Then we went out to an awesome Indy restaurant named "Naan and Kabob" for lunch @ 11 dollars each. Our waiter "Ed" also helps run the place, great guy.

We've only run the AC from 3-6 and then open the house up to allow the cool air in. When I tell people we're new here they have gone out of their way to tell us about restaurants, the farmer's markets, things to do etc. In other words, if you're friendly and out going, you'll find that people here are too.

If no traffic, no state tax, friendly people, easy outdoor access and affordable cheap eats are an example of "California" then by all means keep up the good work.

I'm sure Reno has its share of issues like any other city, but don't let some miserable politico paint any ridiculous ideas about this place. They'll say that about any state that is close by California and because their life probably sucks.

Last edited by observer53; 08-19-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,072,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

I just moved here from Florida and Reno is beautiful, the weather is great and there is no traffic. In fact I'd say Reno has far exceeded our expectations. Yesterday we drove up to hike (ten minutes away) and trekked 5 miles in the beautiful mountains.

Everybody we met was friendly, said "hello" and we had short conversations with a few. Then we went out to an awesome Indy restaurant named "Naan and Kabob" for lunch @ 11 dollars each. Our waiter "Ed" also helps run the place, great guy.

We've only run the AC from 3-6 and then open the house up to allow the cool air in. When I tell people we're new here they have gone out of their way to tell us about restaurants, the farmer's markets, things to do etc. In other words, if you're friendly and out going, you'll find that people here are too.

If no traffic, no state tax, friendly people, easy outdoor access and affordable cheap eats are an example of "California" then by all means keep up the good work.

I'm sure Reno has its share of issues like any other city, but don't let some miserable politico paint any ridiculous ideas about this place. They'll say that about any state that is close by California and because their life probably sucks.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I didn't get the idea the OP was referring to crowds, traffic, etc, but more to people leaving CA and trying to make NV into another liberal state. What you say about the beauty? Yes, it is true, and yes, the people we have met in NV has usually been friendly and welcoming, but we choose not to move to Reno for the same reasons the OP posted. It had nothing to do with cost compared to CA or any of the things you mention..

Last edited by observer53; 08-19-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM

It's a blanket statement, clearly based on a the OP's political view of the world, backed with zero evidence. Frankly that type of topic doesn't belong here anyway, it should be in the politics forum.

My response is saying it's best to ignore such balderdash when making a decision to move somewhere. If the "liberals" have started to "ruin" this state, then by all means provide ample proof to support such a claim.

We just moved here and think Reno is great and I'm telling Derek why we think it's great (that is afterall, what this forum is about.) Yes it's subjective, but it's much factual then the OP's opening post, which I think is a waste of bandwidth and doesn't provide any information about a city. It's just political tripe.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,533,110 times
Quote:
It's a blanket statement, clearly based on a the OP's political view of the world, backed with zero evidence. Frankly that type of topic doesn't belong here anyway, it should be in the politics forum.

My response is saying it's best to ignore such balderdash when making a decision to move somewhere. If the "liberals" have started to "ruin" this state, then by all means provide ample proof to support such a claim.

We just moved here and think Reno is great and I'm telling Derek why we think it's great (that is afterall, what this forum is about.) Yes it's subjective, but it's much factual then the OP's opening post, which I think is a waste of bandwidth and doesn't provide any information about a city. It's just political tripe.
The topic belongs here because the OP is discussing Nevada (Reno area) not a general political issue without reference to issues in a particular state or area.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Sounds just like the everyday-garden-variety-right-wing-rhetoric, with the word "Nevada" thrown in for good measure if you ask me.

Perhaps the OP can come around and provide concrete examples of how those evil liberals are making Reno such a horrible place to live? You know, do a little more than make sweeping generalizations...make me a believer.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 AM

4,632 posts, read 12,336,472 times
Quote:
Sounds just like the everyday-garden-variety-right-wing-rhetoric, with the word "Nevada" thrown in for good measure if you ask me.

Perhaps the OP can come around and provide concrete examples of how those evil liberals are making Reno such a horrible place to live? You know, do a little more than make sweeping generalizations...make me a believer.
What you need to realize is it is the OP's perception, and holds partial truth. However, a majority of the growth in Nevada has been in Las Vegas with a population shift from LA. Here, I run into a lot of people from Northern California like myself.

However, what the OP fails to understand is why we come here, and are we all really Liberal as he suggests? I left, because the town I was born in grew from 4000 when I was born in 1960 to almost 100,000 now. The influx of immigrants into California is changing the typical American way of life. Traffic, congestion, and people moving there, and then claiming we shouldn't build anymore now that I moved here (the selfish attitude).

The demographic leaving California in great numbers is Caucasian. This demographic can be both Republican, and Democrat though. I really think the OP's complaint isn't really about liberals from California, but rather he's experiencing similar feelings I harbor against those who came to California.

While it is true if you look at registered voters Democrats are now a majority in both Washoe, Clark counties, and the entire state overall. I just don't think it's all California's fault. I personally am registered No party affiliation, because I'm sick of the ways politicians stretch to gain their agenda. I harbor positions from both parties, but also know I have little control over the outcomes except my opinion at the voting booth. I also feel that those who lean so far to one side to support one single party are weak.

Nevada will never become the economic power that California is, because it just doesn't have enough livable area, or weather to support such a population. It will continue to see a shift of people moving here due to its cheaper cost of living. A young person who stays here does it by choice. They could move to a larger metropolis and make a better living for their families, but choose to stay here I would imagine because it is their home. I'll never regret growing up in the Bay Area, and coming here, and all over the mountains my entire life. I like Bridgeport, CA, but it just makes more financial sense to stay here in Reno.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 AM

843 posts, read 2,222,844 times
Indeed, assertions without a basis in fact are pointless.

I've got a couple of good example of how Nevada isn't at all like CA, I can own full capacity magazines for my firearms here. I'm not paying ridiculous income tax, property taxes are cheaper as well. I can open carry a loaded firearm anywhere in the state legally without having to ask permission.

I say we just turn this into a list of example of how Nevada is better than California.

I moved here from Ohio, but I'm originally from California (6th generation native). I came with a job (I telecommute) and chose to live here for a variety of reasons none of which was to try and use the system to push any personal agenda.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 AM

67 posts, read 199,936 times
so what next do you want people from each state to have a separate passport to enter each state and IF the locals approve they can stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area