Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:51 AM

37,571 posts, read 61,652,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
LOL...what about the 162 mentions of hell, 70 by Jesus himself?
LOL

Yes?

The OP is about God's image.

Many things are discussed in the Bible; the earth, the seas, many things. Which would all be off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,248,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
We are the image of God only with our soul.
The Bible doesn't say that anywhere, and it does say that our outward appearance is based on God's outward appearance. That has nothing to do with the soul. In fact, there was no tradition of a separate soul until well after Genesis was written. Your tradition is based on the post-biblical assimilation of Greek ideologies.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM

20,461 posts, read 12,856,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That is one way of twisting it to support your book, but it holds no water, and fails when you recognize the purpose of these writings.

People do not base their whole life, extract imaginary beings or deities from the writings of Socrates and Shakespeare. They are philosophical, entertaining, and thought provoking. These are not the foundation of a worship system, a system that provokes followers to wage war on those that believe in a different deity.

The bible on the other hand is a collection of short stories, urban legends, pure fiction, translated so many times, each time with the agenda of the translator injected that it may not even resemble the original stories, but certainly without the validity to base one beliefs on. This is the book that some use to justify hatred, intolerance, and wars.

What does it have to do with science? People with bibles in hand are demanding that the nonsense of the bible be taught in schools in place of factual science (nutcases in Texas just made the news attempting to change the teaching of fact), people here defend the big boat story as a accurate and factual depiction of a real event, when anyone with just a little bit of common sense, fully recognizes it is utterly impossible.
That has nothing to do with whether Bible commentators are experts or not at interpreting Scripture.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,037,641 times
Quote:
There are 162 mentions of hell in the new testament...70 by Jesus himself. Just curious...how does all that love and understanding fit in with this?

"The Son of Man shall send out His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
(Mat 13:41-42)

"So it shall be at the end of the world. The angels shall come out and separate the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Mat 13:49-50

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!" "These, then, will be sent off to eternal punishment, but the righteous will go to eternal life."(Mat 25:41 & 46)

And if your foot offends you, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life lame than to have two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched where their worm (conscience) dies not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:45-46)

"He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than the Light, because their deeds were evil." (John 3:18-19)

"And a third angel followed them, saying with a great voice, If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives a mark in his forehead or in his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the anger of God, having been mixed undiluted in the cup of His wrath. And he will be tormented by fire and brimstone before the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever. And they have no rest day or night, those who worship the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name." (Rev 14:9-11)

"And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire." (Rev 20:15)

"And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame." (Luke 16:23-24)
Hell, or darkness, is a correction place only. Any soul who ends up there can prpogress out. Just because there are people who believe it's eternal, does not make it so.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
The Bible doesn't say that anywhere, and it does say that our outward appearance is based on God's outward appearance. That has nothing to do with the soul. In fact, there was no tradition of a separate soul until well after Genesis was written. Your tradition is based on the post-biblical assimilation of Greek ideologies.
The bible is only one source of information regarding the soul. Material minded people think that the material body is what is real. It's not. The soul is the real us and what the soul contains is reflected on our demeanor in this world. Once in the spirit world, nothing is hidden and our soul/spirit will reflect that condition. So, those who harm others will reflect an ugly soul and those who do good will reflect a beautiful soul.

I don't adhere to the bible so the information contained within those pages is not my truth. I consider it just another guide book on our travels through this world onto the next.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,248,951 times
Quote:
The bible is only one source of information regarding the soul. Material minded people think that the material body is what is real. It's not. The soul is the real us and what the soul contains is reflected on our demeanor in this world. Once in the spirit world, nothing is hidden and our soul/spirit will reflect that condition. So, those who harm others will reflect an ugly soul and those who do good will reflect a beautiful soul.

I don't adhere to the bible so the information contained within those pages is not my truth. I consider it just another guide book on our travels through this world onto the next.
And your perspective is based on the post-biblical Christian assimilation of Greek ideologies. Most of modern mysticism and spiritualism derives its basic ontological axioms from that same Christian-Platonic worldview. This thread, however, is about Genesis 1:26.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM

815 posts, read 1,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
It was said humans were "created in God's image" -- that brings us the question: who on earth looks like God?

I mean, there are African blacks, there are European whites, and there are Asians, so who looks like God?
The general relative :
http://darislav.com/images/stories/Obras/rod1.jpg

Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,568,295 times
Quote:
Just because there are people who believe it's eternal, does not make it so.
Hey...you're not arguing with me:

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!"
"These, then, will be sent off to eternal punishment, but the righteous will go to eternal life."
(Mat 25:41 & 46)

Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
And your perspective is based on the post-biblical Christian assimilation of Greek ideologies. Most of modern mysticism and spiritualism derives its basic ontological axioms from that same Christian-Platonic worldview. This thread, however, is about Genesis 1:26.
Reread the OP. It does not say anywhere that it is based on the verse in your bible. There are a few religions that teach the same thing. Try enlightening yourself to other beliefs and religions then tell me it's strictly based on that verse, ok bub? I may not read your bible nor believe half of what is written therein but I am still a child of God and I have earned the right to find Him in any way I would like. It is not for you to decide what books or religion one needs to follow so if any OP states something from the bible but does not say where it is or that it is even mentioned in the bible, I can answer with my own opinion. And, if a verse is mentioned, I can answer it as well and can do a pretty good job of it and base it on my own beliefs since that is where they do stem from and have been corrected so that the truth does shine forth.

Are you so sure where the things I learn come from? Better step back and come back to earth because that is not where I get my lessons.
The writer of Genesis did not write that book for the purpose of being "scriptural" nor did he write it so that people could take it as literal truth. It was his own view of God and the world at that time. It has nothing to do with today and how we see God today. The soul is the real you and that is the image of God we were created after. If you want to believe otherwise, by all means do so.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Hey...you're not arguing with me:

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!"
"These, then, will be sent off to eternal punishment, but the righteous will go to eternal life."
(Mat 25:41 & 46)
Naw. You're alright in my book, Melvin.

The main reason I don't read the bible is because there is so much in there that gives people no hope of anything but sorrow and not enough things to enlighten a fallen soul. I've been fortunate in my own God search to find a belief that focuses on the Love instead of hate and anger. The brotherhood of man so that no one is left out. Including you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality