Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Religions are all the same, I think the JW's are easy to spot, thus easy for other christian groups to single out and point out their differences. As an Atheist I don’t have different views on most protestant religions. I see them as myth based, and a waste of time. Some other christian religious cults I see as much more dangerous than JW’s.
They are all the same,I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Not really. I'm using the socially accepted definition of a cult in this case. As far as I'm concerned, all religions are cults.
You need to look up the definition of cult.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?
not much

Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
You need to look up the definition of cult.
A cult is generally a group with beliefs that are considered unusual. The problem with that is social conditioning decides what is and isn't "unusual". If you had never heard of the Bible until you were in your 20's or 30's, you'd find the stories unusual.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Here is an example of a cult ,so far out of mainstream of Christianity and and at the same time they have a charismatic leader who once headed the congregation and his name being Jim Jones.

Jonestown, Jim Jones and the People's Temple

Last edited by noland123; 03-01-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
I think the only thing that separates cults from accepted religions is how long they have been in existence.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?

JWs are unique cult, and I say that, because they are one of the few that I know that rewrote the Bible to fit their religious beliefs. Anytime they saw something in the Bible that their leadership did not agree with, they called it an error. And because of that, they would often remove a word, or sometimes even an entire verse to get the Scripture to read to their likeing. Their Bible is called "The New World Translation", and it has been condemned by numerous world Bible scholars. And that's because it is more of a perversion, than a translation.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
A cult is generally a group with beliefs that are considered unusual. The problem with that is social conditioning decides what is and isn't "unusual". If you had never heard of the Bible until you were in your 20's or 30's, you'd find the stories unusual.
So for a Burmese, who has ever only heard of Buddhism, everything from Hinduism to atheism would be cultic. But for Westerners, who can hardly travel very far without seeing a pointed building claimed to exist for the sake of Christ, Christianity cannot possibly be a cult.

Now JWs claim to be Christians, but say that everyone else who is not a JW cannot be a Christian. So JWs in effect makes themselves cultic by saying that the society norm is a falsehood.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
They are all the same,I don't think so.
They are all cults, all meet the definition, all control their followers. If anything the JW are a less dangerous cult than those who claim not to be. I have never heard of a JW crusade, or a JW inquisition, and witch hunts. Can’t say that for the main stream christians.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
They are all cults, all meet the definition, all control their followers.

They
control their followers? Can we see evidence?

Quote:
If anything the JW are a less dangerous cult than those who claim not to be. I have never heard of a JW crusade, or a JW inquisition, and witch hunts.

JWs have.

Quote:
Can’t say that for the main stream christians.
Absurd nonsense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality