Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
I had a lot interaction with them. Even though I do not believe in the Bible as the word of God, what I have read on their beliefs and compare them with other Christian groups I believe they have some very good points that make a lot more sense than the rest.

However, one very important thing. They truly exercise true love by not serving in the armed forces, something most religions do. They do not believe in going to other parts of the world to kill fellow JWs or anyone else.

They actually willingly suffered along the jews in concentrations camps for not picking up a weapon. They do not have a bloody history as I believe most Christian churches do. With that in mind they truly exemplify what Jesus said that you will be recognized by your fruits. They truly are peacful group.

Many of their beliefs are not based on many of the mythological and traditions many Christian churches inherited and mixed with some of the Bible teachings. The trinity is the best example I can use as the concept of hell also. These two examples have roots in other religions before Jesus lived and when you compare them with present day Christian teachings there are very close parallels on how they are presented.

I am aware I may get some hateful and spiteful comment from some very Christian people as I have in the past for expressing this. I am ready and used to that and I will not affect me at all. Just to let everybody know.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
The word 'cult' can be usefully applied to a belief that one particular organisation provides the one true path to spiritual truth.
Like Christianity?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM

85 posts, read 317,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?

I find them to be kind people. The ones I know know their scripture extremely well. They get alot of undue grief from people who just can't see past their own worldview. But you should be firm, but kind, if anything like conversion is brought up and you don't want to.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Like Christianity?
'"The wind blows wherever it pleases; you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going. It is like that with everyone who is born of the Spirit."' Jn 3:8

Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
All religions generally start out as cults.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
All religions generally start out as cults.
Do go on.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Religions are all the same, I think the JW's are easy to spot, thus easy for other christian groups to single out and point out their differences. As an Atheist I don’t have different views on most protestant religions. I see them as myth based, and a waste of time. Some other christian religious cults I see as much more dangerous than JW’s.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Do go on.
They start out with small followings and use radical tactics to spread their influence. Some of them still do to this day despite their huge numbers.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
They start out with small followings and use radical tactics to spread their influence. Some of them still do to this day despite their huge numbers.
So the difference between a religion and a cult is size?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
So the difference between a religion and a cult is size?
Not really. I'm using the socially accepted definition of a cult in this case. As far as I'm concerned, all religions are cults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality