Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
a cult is a group that follows one person.
Not so, as has been explained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
I respect the JW, some of them regularly visit my parents, we have discussions in a friendly and respectfull manner

there things where we/I do not agree with them:

the nature of Christ, while I do not believe in the trinity I do not agree that Jesus is a created angel

the merely spiritual and not bodily ressurection of Christ as they claim

the origin of evil and free will of men

their belief in everlasting desctruction of the wicked vs. my belief in apokatastasis

where we agree is:

the disbelief in the trinity

the corruption of organized "churchianity"

the mortality of the soul and a disbelief in an afterlife prior the ressurection

I prefer them over most denominations but would strongly reccomend not to join them

Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
My daughter did once, to please her best friend whose mother is a JW (in name only, apparently). Neither of the girls enjoyed their time there, both decided on their own it was not for them. They were both 14 yrs old at the time.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM

312 posts, read 867,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Not so, as has been explained.
That would make every group in organized religion fit the description of cult then, wouldn't it?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
That would make every group in organized religion fit the description of cult then, wouldn't it?
Hardly at all. Virtually all Protestant groups agree that there is no necessity to belong to any particular group in order to be saved. The RCC used to say that there was no salvation beyond its sacraments, but it does not say that now- though it changes its mind from time to time. This leaves the likes of Mormons and JWs who can usefully be called cults.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 AM

So, just because Protestants have no unity in their beliefs, that means JW's and Morman's are cults because their groups are actually united in what they believe?? Anyone outside of Protestantism is a cult?????????????

Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
So, just because Protestants have no unity in their beliefs, that means JW's and Morman's are cults?
Possibly! But Protestantism is not defined by denominations, which really have very little to do with anything. Protestants are by definition agreed on three very basic tenets, and those are sufficient for them to ignore denominations completely, in practice. And that is exactly what they are doing, increasingly.

Which, as a side-effect, makes LDS and JWism seem even more like cults.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Possibly! But Protestantism is not defined by denominations, which really have very little to do with anything. Protestants are by definition agreed on three very basic tenets, and those are sufficient for them to ignore denominations completely, in practice. And that is exactly what they are doing, increasingly.

Which, as a side-effect, makes LDS and JWism seem even more like cults.
Can't speak for Mormans but Jehovah's Witnesses do not have denominations. Still don't understand your point though...

Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireoftheCovenant View Post
While I don't agree with their beliefs, I think they are very nice people who are dedicated to their faith.

When I lived in a predominantly African-American neighborhood I would receive visits from pairs of well-dressed middle-aged women (usually around 50 to 65 years old it seemed) and they were always SO NICE, it was very difficult to explain to them that I respected their beliefs and appreciated their kindness but I have absolutely zero interest in hearing about yet another religion.

Does anyone happen to know the history behind why so many JW's are African-American? Maybe I can find that on the omniscient Wikipedia. Or I can just call my buddies Venus and Serena.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM

75 posts, read 101,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post

When I lived in a predominantly African-American neighborhood I would receive visits from pairs of well-dressed middle-aged women (usually around 50 to 65 years old it seemed) and they were always SO NICE, it was very difficult to explain to them that I respected their beliefs and appreciated their kindness but I have absolutely zero interest in hearing about yet another religion.

Does anyone happen to know the history behind why so many JW's are African-American? Maybe I can find that on the omniscient Wikipedia. Or I can just call my buddies Venus and Serena.
There are quite a few JWs in my community, but very few are African-American, so it may be that because you live in a 'predominantly African-American neighborhood' more JWs are present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality