Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 PM

688 posts, read 2,841,209 times

Advertisements

My mother is coming to visit me for a few weeks! I miss her dearly! My kids are going to be so happy(it's a suprise to them)! She has been with a man for about 18 years, never married, he has a bad gambling and drinking problem. He would never hit her but he is verbally abusive. My mother just had a sort of "awakening" last year when she was in a car accident and broke her leg in many places and she has had to go through extensive surgeries and PT ever since. She realizes she may need care for this the rest of her life. Now for the "upbeat" part of this....she is beginning to take a look at her future, and where being with this man may lead her, especially if she was to need much ongoing medical care, and she's been pondering about retirement....would he squander all the money away and leave her penniless, etc. Anyway, she is coming to visit and we will be discussing steps on her freedom and future. I am so excited about this but I know I need prayer for God's wisdom on this. So I guess I should also post this in the prayer request thread! But I just wanted to share this good news because it is something I've prayed about in the past and something I've been wanting for my mom for a long time....which is freedom, and the ability to be herself and live life to the fullest!
Thanks for listening(reading)!

LuLu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 05:54 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,021,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
My mother is coming to visit me for a few weeks! I miss her dearly! My kids are going to be so happy(it's a suprise to them)! She has been with a man for about 18 years, never married, he has a bad gambling and drinking problem. He would never hit her but he is verbally abusive. My mother just had a sort of "awakening" last year when she was in a car accident and broke her leg in many places and she has had to go through extensive surgeries and PT ever since. She realizes she may need care for this the rest of her life. Now for the "upbeat" part of this....she is beginning to take a look at her future, and where being with this man may lead her, especially if she was to need much ongoing medical care, and she's been pondering about retirement....would he squander all the money away and leave her penniless, etc. Anyway, she is coming to visit and we will be discussing steps on her freedom and future. I am so excited about this but I know I need prayer for God's wisdom on this. So I guess I should also post this in the prayer request thread! But I just wanted to share this good news because it is something I've prayed about in the past and something I've been wanting for my mom for a long time....which is freedom, and the ability to be herself and live life to the fullest!
Thanks for listening(reading)!

LuLu
That's wonderful Lulu! That definately sounds like it could be a VERY GOOD thing! My prayers are with you!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 PM

264 posts, read 830,936 times
I am always fascinated by the beauty and diversity of God's creation and this week has been made even more wonderful by the spread of Spring across the country. Our run this week took us from Sharpsville, Pa. to Anaheim, Ca and the views this time were more astounding than ever. Gorgeous fields of purple wildflowers across the rolling hills of Pa and Ohio; the Mississippi, unfrozen and teaming with boat traffic, and the sun glistening off the Arch of St. Louis; the wind making "waves" across fields of new hay in Oklahoma; Lightning flashing across the sky in the wide open spaces of Texas; tall, yellow blooms of yucca in the barren desert of NW Arizona; and the beautiful Colorado, cutting its way through the desert. It all just reminded me of a verse I read just the other day:
"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-His eternal power and His divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Romans 1:20
I am thankful that I live in such a widely diverse and stunning beautiful country and have the freedom to see it all.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesacat View Post
I am always fascinated by the beauty and diversity of God's creation and this week has been made even more wonderful by the spread of Spring across the country. Our run this week took us from Sharpsville, Pa. to Anaheim, Ca and the views this time were more astounding than ever. Gorgeous fields of purple wildflowers across the rolling hills of Pa and Ohio; the Mississippi, unfrozen and teaming with boat traffic, and the sun glistening off the Arch of St. Louis; the wind making "waves" across fields of new hay in Oklahoma; Lightning flashing across the sky in the wide open spaces of Texas; tall, yellow blooms of yucca in the barren desert of NW Arizona; and the beautiful Colorado, cutting its way through the desert. It all just reminded me of a verse I read just the other day:
"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-His eternal power and His divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Romans 1:20
I am thankful that I live in such a widely diverse and stunning beautiful country and have the freedom to see it all.
That is wonderful Wesacat! I live in the desert and well, the scenery here often leaves a lot to be desired . However, the one thing we have here that you will NOT find in most other places is the fact that anywhere else you go, all you see are TREE covered mountains (which would be a wonderful change of scenery for ME!), whereas here in the desert you actually get to see the actual mountains and God's beauty and grace in each and every one of them! The gorgeous contours of the mountains are just breath taking!
However, we do have a few "wild" looking mountains around here as well. We have what we call "finger rock" which looks like someone sticking up their middle finger , we hvae one mountain that is a splitting image of a kkk hood (don't know what it is called), we have one large moutain range that looks like an indian woman lying on her back and some others. You just cannot see those things when the mountains are covered with trees...but MAYBE a couple of ours SHOULD be covered

Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 AM

508 posts, read 1,675,947 times
There is something interesting about this thread. I dont want to actually say it but I find it VERY interesting and insightful. If you see what I mean or if you are curious send me a PM.

Anyway, I am off today with the family to go see my parents in AZ and give them the bad news that we wont be moving and the GREAT news that we are pregnant. We told our small group last night after communion and it was wonderful to share with our friends.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,759,042 times
My six year old daughter picked up the new testament last night and started reading it by herself. KJV -I was impressed. She asked me if we could start reading it every night! of course I said yes.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
My six year old daughter picked up the new testament last night and started reading it by herself. KJV -I was impressed. She asked me if we could start reading it every night! of course I said yes.
That is wonderful! My 6 year old loves to read the Bible as well. He amazes me when he memorizes some of the verses...kinda puts mom to shame . But it is so wonderful to see our children read the Word of God!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:15 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,759,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
That is wonderful! My 6 year old loves to read the Bible as well. He amazes me when he memorizes some of the verses...kinda puts mom to shame . But it is so wonderful to see our children read the Word of God!
You know, just my opinion, but I think God had used my kids to draw me closer to him. By the questions they ask, and by the simplicity of the way they think about God.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 PM

688 posts, read 2,841,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post

Love it!

Kids are so wonderful, aren't they?!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:03 PM

190 posts, read 687,892 times
This thread is so uplifting. I would also like to share a poem I wrote.

There's a mother on her knees in the midnight hour
Praying for chains to be broken
By God's Holy Ghost Power

The devil's deception drew her son away
But this mother's doing warfare
At the break of day

She knows the devil is holding on tight
But he has to let go
When Jesus takes up her fight

Satan trembles when he sees
This praying mother
On her knees
He knows he has lost another one
To God Almighty and His only Son

She read in the Bible how Paul and Silas prayed
Nothing could stop them
They would not be swayed

It was at midnight that they began to sing
Their voices raised in praise and thanksgiving
She knows how God sent the violent earthquake
She prays and reminds God to do the same
For His son Jesus sake

Paul and Silas did not fear or run
When the prison doors flew open
The foundations were shaken
But there was no mistaken
Praising God brought Him on the scene
He came to deliver His redeemed

This mother knows God will do the same
For her and her loved ones
As she calls out Jesus name

This mother's love for her son
She never gives up
She continues to pray until she has won

It may take months
It may take years
But one thing is certain
It breaks her heart to tears

She places her son in God's own hands
She believes God has His own divine plan
She gets up off her knees and dries her eyes
She feels so much better even as she sighs

The Almighty Holy One is taking up her cause
Sending ministering angels to do battle in this war
She can now go about her day
Her heart and mind at peace
Praising El Roi the God who sees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality