Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
But your view seems slightly dismissive and I'm not sure where you are getting that dismissive view from.

Let's look back at Dusty Rhodes initial statement that started this ball rolling.

"In the long run, mythology does not have the staying power that reason and knowledge does."

Now taking in account what I said does this statement make any sense? Maybe, but it's speculative at best. What knowledge or reason has lasted 37 centuries? (In the case of Shangdi or Vedic gods) Possibly the Babylonians had something like Pythagorean theorem that long. And there's things like the wheel. Still for something more complex religions usually last much longer than almost anything. Hence the closest thing we have to ancient Egyptian is Coptic.
Your statement could equally be called speculative. You are assuming that certain things will occur or never change. I suspect that you have not truly researched the history of things that we take for granted every day. And before you ask, neither have I.

Remember, "usually" does not equal always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What makes the latter assertion accurate for all intents and purposes, Drummer . . . are two things . . . free will and Dominion. God's ONLY concern is our spiritual development . . . which encompasses handling and overcoming whatever our physical reality presents to us. If we need aid in spiritually handling things . . . we have prayer . . . but not for the physical realities.
Your statement, to a true atheist, is false due to a lack of belief in this god you cite. Since there is no belief, the entire statement is negated.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
Oh yeah sure and atheists aren't "Pushy" right? Gimme a break.
Use the same measuring criteria on theists and see who is "pushy".

Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Your statement, to a true atheist, is false due to a lack of belief in this god you cite. Since there is no belief, the entire statement is negated.
No argument with that . . . if you do not believe there is a resource accessible to your mind . . . then for you it doesn't exist and you certainly can't avail yourself of it.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
In the long run, mythology does not have the staying power that reason and knowledge does.
There are a couple of ways to look at that. One (which is the sense in which you probably meant it) is viewing myths as literal facts -- which is viewing them not as myths. I believe that the supernatural accounts in the Bible are myths, but fundamentalists don't. Most of them, though, would share my belief that the Greek myths are indeed myths.

Which brings us to the other way to look at myths: as a powerful template for understanding human psychology. Jung may be out of favor in mainstream psychology, but the Jungian approach of studying various archetypes and myths was the key that enabled me to start unraveling my own psychological problems years ago. I recognized myself in Narcissus and in Parsifal, and I was able to step outside myself and look at my world-view from a more objective standpoint, compare it to other world-views, and see the subjectivity and flaws in my own. Different Biblical myths have helped me understand and deal with issues I've faced in my life.

And look at just about any blockbuster fantasy, science-fiction, or superhero movie. Most of them follow the "heroic quest" template common to all cultures, and described by Joseph Campell: A formerly great culture has fallen into decline due to some evil force. There are prophecies of The One who will save the people. It turns out to be a young man. He studies under an elderly Great Master and gains the skills necessary to defeat the evil force. After many trials, he battles the evil force in one-on-one combat, defeats it, and restores greatness to his people.

My point is that mythology is so deeply ingrained in the human psyche that I doubt it will ever disappear. The question is whether the bulk of humanity will understand that mythology can be useful and powerful without its having to be literal fact.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,581,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Your statement could equally be called speculative. You are assuming that certain things will occur or never change. I suspect that you have not truly researched the history of things that we take for granted every day. And before you ask, neither have I.

Remember, "usually" does not equal always.
Than the matter is uncertain and I'm okay with that.

Still many to most of the oldest systems we have are religious in nature. For example there's no nation, and perhaps no written language, as old as Hinduism. So the original dismissive view of mythology as non-lasting is erroneous or at least varies.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:25 PM

598 posts, read 917,909 times
For what we are talking about -- religion, is not just simple mythology. This is why atheists are more vocal today.

Some of the traditional religion's roles in the society disappeared or are disappearing. For example, religion used to be commingled with politics and served as authorities, that has disappeared for the most part around the world (some part of Mideast remains). Another example, religion used to the "science" for human society: earth, sun, social issues ... now, people don't need religion to explain things any more.

However, one thing religion is gaining more power: as reasons to act -- particularly as reasons to go to war ...

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,207,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
Oh yeah sure and atheists aren't "Pushy" right? Gimme a break.
That is an unnecessarily combative response to what I posted. Methinks the theist doth protest entirely too much.

Actually, most atheists aren't "pushy". Neither are most Christians, but since there are so many of them, there is a sizable number who are. Especially on Internet fora. Sigh.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Than the matter is uncertain and I'm okay with that.

Still many to most of the oldest systems we have are religious in nature. For example there's no nation, and perhaps no written language, as old as Hinduism. So the original dismissive view of mythology as non-lasting is erroneous or at least varies.
Another way to look at it is that the old myths have been called religions when there was no religious intent to begin with.

Just a thought.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,244,192 times
As long as it is possible for an atheist to be superstitious, there will always be myths and religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality