Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times

Advertisements

We went to a Christmas play at a mega-church in the Regency area of west Omaha. (This discription per my husband; I actually have no idea where I was!)

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,075,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We went to a Christmas play at a mega-church in the Regency area of west Omaha. (This discription per my husband; I actually have no idea where I was!)
Most likely that was Christ Community Church. It's in Old Mill...right off of Interstate 680 by the Dodge Street exit. My wife and I were there for about 15 years. We met there and got married there. It used to be a great church, but they hired a new head pastor from Willow Creek a couple of years ago and they've become more concerned with being "relevant" than solid teaching. They've opened a Sarpy County "campus" now, as well.

It just isn't the same that it was 5 years ago with the previous head pastor. I know things change, but I really think the leadership there has sold out.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,842 times
My husband and I just moved to Omaha from the East Coast and have been really happy with St. Andrew's Episcopal Church at 84th and Pacific. They have both contemporary and traditional services on Sunday morning and the pastor is really cool.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:43 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,551,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Most likely that was Christ Community Church. It's in Old Mill...right off of Interstate 680 by the Dodge Street exit. My wife and I were there for about 15 years. We met there and got married there. It used to be a great church, but they hired a new head pastor from Willow Creek a couple of years ago and they've become more concerned with being "relevant" than solid teaching. They've opened a Sarpy County "campus" now, as well.

It just isn't the same that it was 5 years ago with the previous head pastor. I know things change, but I really think the leadership there has sold out.

I think you maybe right, they sold out.

the only time they have had a good sermon as of late was when Lee Strobel spoke.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:47 PM

a church I BTW recomend avoiding

West Hills Presbyterian Church near 84th and center

it is a church that pushes new-age teachings of Richard Foster

Old 04-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Ha! I misread that at first...I thought you said you recommended it because of the new-age teachings.

My wife and I are really enjoying our time at Evangelical Bible Church. The pastor actually preaches from the Bible. That's a rarity today.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Ha! I misread that at first...I thought you said you recommended it because of the new-age teachings.

My wife and I are really enjoying our time at Evangelical Bible Church. The pastor actually preaches from the Bible. That's a rarity today.
I agree

most churches have become too "relevant" or emergent or seeker sensitive

say is Evangelical Bible Church Welcome to Evangelical Bible Church

a sister church of Omaha Bible Church Home - Omaha Bible Church

cause I was at OBC this morning and the preacher there gave a great sermon

cause I know many of the Bible Churches in Omaha are really good

Old 04-21-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I agree

most churches have become too "relevant" or emergent or seeker sensitive

say is Evangelical Bible Church Welcome to Evangelical Bible Church

a sister church of Omaha Bible Church Home - Omaha Bible Church

cause I was at OBC this morning and the preacher there gave a great sermon

cause I know many of the Bible Churches in Omaha are really good
Evangelical Bible church, the first link, is where the family and I have been going the last few weeks. To my knowledge, the 2 are not affiliated. I agree that OBC's pastors do a good job in their sermon style..but there are a few things that caused me to question them.

1. When we visited before last year (2007), the pastor was taking a month off...from 2 weeks before until 2 weeks after Easter. What church's pastor takes time off during Easter?

2. They are Calvinist. That in and of itself is not a major issue...but if you listen to some of the sermons on Itunes or off of their web site they do seem to talk predestination...a lot. Maybe I'm just being sensitive to it, as I don't believe in Calvinism.

3. I was told by a friend, who's sister attends there, that the elders are basically appointed by the pastor...for life. It just seems that the elder board is a bit of a closed membership. Again.....I'm sure a lot of other churches are like that...but it just seems a bit controlling there.

4. I went there for 2-3 weeks and didn't recognize a single song with the exception of Amazing Grace. I'm just not sure where they get their worship music.

I wanted to really like the place, because I like the pastor's preaching. Other than Calvinism, he's solid. They're close to my house, convenient, and I just like the idea of a neighborhood church...but there were too many question marks for me.

Unfortunately, they just seem a little cultish.

Last edited by kdbrich; 04-21-2008 at 12:17 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 AM

say anyone know if

Twin Cities Baptist Church at 11825 S. 36th Street in Bellevue

Midwestern Baptist Church at 1025 N. 72 Street in Omaha (near Creighton Prep)

are good churches cause someone recomended them to me, and I cant seem to find a website for them.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:12 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,563,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
say anyone know if

Twin Cities Baptist Church at 11825 S. 36th Street in Bellevue

Midwestern Baptist Church at 1025 N. 72 Street in Omaha (near Creighton Prep)

are good churches cause someone recomended them to me, and I cant seem to find a website for them.
Twin Cities is very very conservative... not sure if its as far as KJV only and men must wear suits and women must wear dresses, but that's probably close. Probably doesn't teach much on grace.

Those are far apart from each other... which part of the metro are you in... maybe can get a few closer recommendations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.