Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,576,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
some of those are mega churches though
Most of them are.

NW Omaha there is Harvey Oaks
South (Papillion) is WellSpring Lutheran and Overland Hills, both very nice people/pastor and small

Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 AM

41 posts, read 121,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvew View Post
look elsewhere.

I've lived a lot of places, including lincoln
never been to any churches here more than once
I don't get it. There are literally hundreds of churches here of all sorts of denominations, sizes, and styles. How can you say there aren't any good churches? What would it take to meet your apparently very strict standards?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,085,376 times
As someone trying to find a solid-teaching evangelical church, I can say that there aren't a lot of small to medium sized churches in Omaha that teach sound doctrine. Most of them seem to have a focus on speaking to the unbelievers, or visitors, than to building up the members.

I just want a solid Bible-teaching church that also emphasizes fellowship.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,563,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaGrace View Post
Evangelical Bible Church at 7820 Fort Street... but I may be biased, I've been going there all my life. Friendly people, solid and intelligent teaching, lots of ways to get involved, no fundamentalist ravings, and really excellent music (even more biased here, I'm on the team!).

Also, I would recommend Community Bible (our sister church) Brookstreet (Evangelical Free), Benson Baptist (American Baptist), Emmanuel Fellowship (non-denominational), Our Saviour's Baptist (General Conference Baptist), and Westside (Southern Baptist). They are a variety of large and small (and mega), of locations, and of different worship styles.
Westside Church is a Southern Baptist church?

I always thought it was a Purpose Driven church and part of the seeker-sensitive movement

A Little Leaven

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-10-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Westside is Southern Baptist. While they adhere to the Southern Baptist statement of faith, they are a little more seeker-sensitive than the typical SBC church.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
As someone trying to find a solid-teaching evangelical church, I can say that there aren't a lot of small to medium sized churches in Omaha that teach sound doctrine. Most of them seem to have a focus on speaking to the unbelievers, or visitors, than to building up the members.

I just want a solid Bible-teaching church that also emphasizes fellowship.
Overland Hills Church and Harvey Oaks I think both fit the category you are looking for... Overland a little larger than Harvey, but both small (O-200 and H-150??) Both are Baptist General Conference - of the two Harvey would be more conservative style wise than Overland.

Harvey 144th & Center
Overland 90th & H370

Old 03-10-2008, 06:12 PM

Thanks, I saw Harvey Oaks listed on dexonline, and thought about it. I didn't realize it was that big. It's a bit farther south than we were thinking, but not overly. We live in the NW area, and were hoping to find a neighborhood church, or something where the majority of the people would live in our area, if possible. But for the right church, that's not an unreasonable drive.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Westside is Southern Baptist. While they adhere to the Southern Baptist statement of faith, they are a little more seeker-sensitive than the typical SBC church.
so in other words, they are more Rick Warren than Charles Stanley type of SB

thanks but no thanks, I dont want to go to a seeker-sensitive church.

If anyone knows of any churches that arent pro Rick Warren and pro PDL agenda and pro seeker-sensitive, let me know

cause that is the type of church I want to go.

a bible believing and bible preaching church in the Omaha area

that isnt peddling Bill Hybels and Rick Warren and the emergent church crap.

sliceoflaodicea.com

A Little Leaven

Apostasy - Rapture Ready

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-11-2008 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
so in other words, they are more Rick Warren than Charles Stanley type of SB If anyone knows of any churches that arent pro Rick Warren and pro PDL agenda and pro seeker-sensitive, let me know cause thatis the type of church I want to go.
a bible believing and bible preaching church in the Omaha area
Call Grace University (Christian University in Omaha - been around long time and a good reputation) or K-LOVE Radio station (KMLV 88.1fm) and get recommendations - I bet they have churches around town grouped by preference so they can make such referals.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Call Grace University (Christian University in Omaha - been around long time and a good reputation) or K-LOVE Radio station (KMLV 88.1fm) and get recommendations - I bet they have churches around town grouped by preference so they can make such referals.
thanks dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality