Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,969,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Yeh, not a good fit

Great track program though. He ran w/Michael Johnson there.

BTW, just in case you are talking to me...I don't hate Christians and I certainly have tolerance for them. My parents consider themselves Christian and they are the greatest people ever! I don't hate any "group." I judge each person individually. I'm just saying what was being taught at Baylor wasn't all love and peace toward others.

No I wasn't talking to you or anyone directly. It was a general statement. Some people are blinded by their hatred for Christian people it's just a fact. How could I make that judgement about you? You hardly said anything.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:49 PM

24 posts, read 79,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
This is what their schools teach!! Why wouldn't I think they all hold these beliefs? If someone is SBC, then they must believe this or why would their own Seminary teach it?

Boggles my mind you can say that.
I would love to know the name of the church or school that you refer to that teaches this.? You say they (Baptist) aren't taught to even like most people. Do you know for a fact that this is being taught there, or just assume because of a bad experience with someone you knew that went there? I find it hard to believe that they would teach people not to like others. I would love to know the name of this church/school you are talking about or if you are making a general statement about all Baptist churches/schools. I don't know if you meant this is what "their" school teaches refers to a specific church or school, or if "their" you are talking about the Baptist church/school in general?

It seems that you have a bad taste in your mouth due to an incident or maybe a few?? which leaves you thinking that all Baptists or Christians are narrow minded. Being a member of a Southern Baptist church, I can tell you that this is far from being true. Maybe you should go sit in and listen to what the sermons are, not to convince you to believe, but so you can see/hear for yourself what is being taught. I am sure you would not hear anyone teaching not to like people that are not of their same faith (if your comment was about a particular church).. I would also assume with you living in NC you have met many Christian men and women. I would also be willing to assume that most of them have been very nice, loving people who have never said or done anything to cause you to feel such a dislike towards them. (I do not want to misinterpret what you have said, but in several of your post your comments make it seem you feel this way towards the general population of either Baptist's or Christians and not towards the actual person you have had a problem with).

This is an excerpt from the Southern Baptist Conventions website. Maybe you should look here to see what the SBC has to say about the Baptist Faith and their message. www.sbc.net is their web address.
“Man is the special creation of God, made in His own image. He created them male and female as the crowning work of His creation. The gift of gender is thus part of the goodness of God's creation. In the beginning man was innocent of sin and was endowed by his Creator with freedom of choice. By his free choice man sinned against God and brought sin into the human race. Through the temptation of Satan man transgressed the command of God, and fell from his original innocence whereby his posterity inherit a nature and an environment inclined toward sin. Therefore, as soon as they are capable of moral action, they become transgressors and are under condemnation. Only the grace of God can bring man into His holy fellowship and enable man to fulfill the creative purpose of God. The sacredness of human personality is evident in that God created man in His own image, and in that Christ died for man; therefore, every person of every race possesses full dignity and is worthy of respect and Christian love.”

Notice it does not say only people that are Christian or Baptist are worthy.

As a Baptist, it saddens me that you would make a blanket statement about all SB being this intolerant or ignorant. I believe it is a misstatement and I am sorry your experiences with a SB person was a negative one, but please don’t put us all in the same boat. Many of us would give the shirts off our back to help another person, regardless of religious affiliation.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 PM

197 posts, read 959,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
I agree. The post unfairly stereotyped Baptists and was totally unecessary.
I agree wholeheartedly.

"Baptists" are unique in that every church is different and some churches do affiliate --- but they are not governed like a lot of other denominations. Baptists go anywhere from evangelical/fundamentalist to very formal/traditional. Some have no affiliation with another baptist church or group. You can't categorize all baptists by those in one church or one community.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:47 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
So lumping all Baptists together is okay but lumping all Catholics together is not? Right.

If you knew anything about the church governance of the two denominations you would actaully expect to see more diversity among baptists than catholics.
It is true. You are either a practicing Roman Catholic (I'm singling it out from the other Catholic rites) or you are not.
But if you are Baptist you can be SBC (southern baptist the most common), primitive baptist, free will baptist, bible baptist, or about half a dozen others. And not many of them will associate themselves with one another, as they all have their differences.

I dunno if its just me but in conversation/debates with unbelievers I am very often asked "well according to your religion am I going to Hell?" Even when asked that directly I would never tell someone I believed they were hellbound. So my drama-radar goes *ding ding* when I hear people claim they are repeatedly told they are "going to hell". How many people provoke such a comment, and then store it as ammo to use I wonder?

On the subject, I thought it was interesting my neighbor across the street thought it was his duty to lend some anti-christianity books to my wife since he knows we are Christians from the music he's heard when hes been over to our house). I wasn't offended, I actually took the bait and we discussed and debated politely for over an hour along his backyard fence, and I offered some commentary to some of his arguements against the Church. It got to the point he had to know what kind of church I went to because no one hes encountered here has ever committed their beliefs to such friendly argument and explained themselves. So I might see him at my Presbyterian church this Sunday, just because he couldnt shut me up.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:32 AM

191 posts, read 236,595 times
First of all I want to apologize for all of the typos in my earlier post. I was headed to a meeting and had to type fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
It is true. You are either a practicing Roman Catholic (I'm singling it out from the other Catholic rites) or you are not.
But if you are Baptist you can be SBC (southern baptist the most common), primitive baptist, free will baptist, bible baptist, or about half a dozen others. And not many of them will associate themselves with one another, as they all have their differences.
Not only that but most decisions in the SBC are made at the church level whereas the Roman Catholic church has a more heirarchal structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
ISo I might see him at my Presbyterian church this Sunday, just because he couldnt shut me up.
Good for you. We need more Presbyterian evangelicals.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 48,640 times
This is scary stuff!!! Coming from California (where you can run into a little preaching gig at a soccer game, even, but very seldom) I find Charlotte close to One Flew Over The Kuckoo's Nest. And I knew Billy Graham! Why on God's green earth is it necessary to ask a breathing soul anything about their faith. That is NOT what Jesus did, or meant when he said 'go out unto the world...' etc. etc. Maybe its people like those in Charlotte that made me dump the whole religious show altogether. Also, I wonder what would happen if at that Marriot Hotel they asked me my faith record and I opened a suitcase and dawned a red suit with horns? Would I go to jail for my humor, or be asked to leave the town? One absurdism certainly would equal another in my book.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,916,732 times
really is charlotte more conservative than Raliegh?

in my state I think Greenville is more conservative than Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.