Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:37 PM

191 posts, read 236,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Just don't try to make me take on your beliefs and I'll do the same for you.
There is a thin line between evangelizing and just being pushy and I think that a great many people can't tell the difference.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,091,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It does have to do with being in the Bible Belt (my daughter has heard it to from classmates).

You really don't have that happening outside of the Bible Belt.

You call it 'kids being mean' I call it 'kids parroting what they are taught'.

It can work both ways. What happens when children are told by other kids, "there is no God."

Old 05-01-2007, 08:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,686,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
It can work both ways. What happens when children are told by other kids, "there is no God."
If they don't think there is, they have every right to say that as another child has to say there is.

Giving an opinion is much different then threatening someone who doesn't hold the same beliefs.

Shame some Christians don't quite get the difference and prefer kids to be threatened.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,091,622 times
Quote:
If they don't think there is, they have every right to say that as another child has to say there is.

Giving an opinion is much different then threatening someone who doesn't hold the same beliefs.

Shame some Christians don't quite get the difference and prefer kids to be threatened.

Yes, shame on those Christians! Christians, and especially those pesky Christian children are the only ones capable of telling someone something mean.

We are talking about CHILDREN for Petes Sake! Who ever said they wanted kids to be threatened?? I highly doubt kids picking on other kids for whatever reason is new.

If you have taught your child that there is no heaven or hell, why would they care if someone told them they were going to a place they dont believe?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Yes, shame on those Christians! Christians, and especially those pesky Christian children are the only ones capable of telling someone something mean.

We are talking about CHILDREN for Petes Sake! Who ever said they wanted kids to be threatened?? I highly doubt kids picking on other kids for whatever reason is new.

If you have taught your child that there is no heaven or hell, why would they care if someone told them they were going to a place they dont believe?
Actually, when my daughter heard it, it was because she didn't go to the same BAPTIST church as the other child....nothing more...just not the same darn church.

Kids picking on other kids is nothing new...but being taught by their parents to damn others to hell for not going to the same church is certainly something I've never encountered before outside of the bible belt.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:18 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,979,308 times
Quote:
It does have to do with being in the Bible Belt (my daughter has heard it to from classmates).

You really don't have that happening outside of the Bible Belt.

You call it 'kids being mean' I call it 'kids parroting what they are taught'.

49 more states to choose from. NC is in the bible belt, it's harder for people to fit in here if they are not Christian and that's the bottom line. It may change someday but until then that's the way it is.

I've had some Mormons approach my kids saying similar things in Gilbert Az. Gilbert is the Mormon belt

Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,979,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ah, the Charlotte I know and love Maybe there are more natives left here than I realized! Maybe it's true that Cary really is THE "containment area of relocated yankees" LOL

Ahhh how sweet it is! Ok hit me with the negative I'll take it. The last time I said how refreshing Charlotte was it I got it.

I haven't been invited to Church and I've been here a few months already. Not 1 invite

Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,497,348 times
No doubt, Charlotte is significantly more religiously conservative and active than Raleigh-Durham. Charlotte is still a Southern town through and through, religiously and culturally conservative. Raleigh-Durham is part Southern, part Mid-Atlantic, with a much stronger progressive religious and cultural strain. There is much more diversity in the Triangle than Charlotte. The gay community is much larger, open, and accepted in the Triangle than Charlotte. Raleigh-Durham is just much more progressive in any cultural indicator than Charlotte.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
49 more states to choose from. NC is in the bible belt, it's harder for people to fit in here if they are not Christian and that's the bottom line. It may change someday but until then that's the way it is.

I've had some Mormons approach my kids saying similar things in Gilbert Az. Gilbert is the Mormon belt
Why would I let a few idiots make me leave my home? It's going to change because Christians are either going have to start living their faith, learn to actually have manners about it or just get used to the idea that they aren't the only ones on the planet.

But in the mean time, it can't be shoved under the rug that there are this sort of person around and they are teaching their children it as well.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,497,348 times
For the many looking to see how culturally progressive a city is, one indicator is whether or not a city bans anti-gay discrimination and has domestic partnership rights. Chapel Hill and Durham has both. Raleigh bans anti-gay discrimination in city employment. Charlotte does not have any gay-friendly laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality