Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:26 PM

169 posts, read 779,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
LOL!

Thank you for your perspective. I don't want to sound like I expect Raleigh to be Morocco or some place, it's still North Carolina.
I'm curious to know what you mean by that?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,685,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
I'm curious to know what you mean by that?
NC is part of the Bible Belt....you are just going to run into such things like this in this state that you just don't in other states.

Not sure why anyone would want to deny it.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 PM

169 posts, read 779,268 times
Yes, but I don't get the Morocco reference.

Morocco is very religious-- with Islam. They have the call to prayer a few times a day. So, either she's saying she didn't expect Raleigh to be religious even though it's in North Carolina (which doesn't make sense because NC is religious), or I don't know what she's saying. Hence the question.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:38 PM

362 posts, read 1,347,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
Yes, but I don't get the Morocco reference.

Morocco is very religious-- with Islam. They have the call to prayer a few times a day. So, either she's saying she didn't expect Raleigh to be religious even though it's in North Carolina (which doesn't make sense because NC is religious), or I don't know what she's saying. Hence the question.
I read her statement to mean that she's wondering if there are major cultural/religious differences between Charlotte and Raleigh, but she understands that Raleigh is still in North Carolina, and does not expect any such differences between Charlotte and Raleigh to be as DRASTIC as the cultural/religious differences would be between Charlotte and (a place like) Morocco. In other words, she realizes that Charlotte and Raleigh will not be polar opposites, and that they will be similar in many ways, but she's still wondering if there are basic cultural/religious differences between the two cities...possibly that Raleigh is more religiously diverse. That's how I took her statement, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm not putting words in her mouth...

Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 AM

362 posts, read 1,347,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
My children have been told MANY times that they are going to hell because they are not Christian.
Yikes...that's just plain old ignorance. I don't care where someone is from, or how s/he was raised...someone telling another person (not to mention, a child!) that that person is doomed because s/he practices a different religion (or doesn't practice one at all, as the case may be) is the epitome of rudeness and small-mindedness. Any truly spiritual person in this day and age should accept the fact that there are many religions/beliefs that are practiced by many different people, and that people should be free to do so without being persecuted by their neighbors, co-workers, etc...especially in the US. Geez, some people just really need to wake up.

For a person to presume that his or her religion is the be-all, end-all of religions, and that everyone else is wrong or going to hell or whatever, is just ridiculous. Who's to say which religion is the "correct" religion? No one can...because a person's religion is his own personal belief system. Until God, Jesus, etc is/are proven to exist beyond any shadow of a doubt, no one religion is right or wrong...it's just whatever a person BELIEVES IN. Your beliefs are not any more right or wrong than my beliefs. Just because a person may not agree with my beliefs doesn't mean that my beliefs are wrong...and vice versa.

Gosh, I'm sorry that you, roscomac, and your children have had to deal with this type of behavior. I really hope that I don't consistently encounter this type of ignorance when I move to Charlotte. It would be so unfortunate to have to deal with stuff like that in these modern times, in a city that is considered to be up-and-coming, and is full of transplants from different backgrounds and cultures. From what I've been able to ascertain, Charlotte is generally a pretty religious place, but I wonder if its heavily religious environment isn't as innocuous as I had originally thought?

Does everyone in Charlotte (or NC, in general) encounter this type of small-mindedness all the time, or has roscomac just had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, on more than one occasion?

Last edited by AOYAS; 05-01-2007 at 01:13 AM..

Old 05-01-2007, 01:00 AM

549 posts, read 2,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
For a very long time, especially in the newly developed rural areas, the Charlotte area was very Protestant. (Catholic and Jewish were mostly limited to a single location in the urban areas).
My family is Roman Catholic and when my grandmother came to Charlotte in the late 40's or early 50's from New Orleans there was a stigma attached if you were Catholic or Jewish and not of a Protestant Demination. The state of Lousiana is notably absent from the Protestant Bible Belt that dominates religion in the Southern United States. So it was a cultural clash for her when she realized the only Catholic Church in Charlotte then was, Saint Peters on South Tryon.

Sometimes people will bring up the subject of religion with me, I diplomaticaly change the subject; since I know where the conversation could lead. I also feel that the religion topic comes up more in certain areas of Charlotte and Raleigh than in others. Personally I think all religions lead to God. Not one is better than the other.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:33 AM

191 posts, read 236,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
My family is Roman Catholic and when my grandmother came to Charlotte in the late 40's or early 50's ...the only Catholic Church in Charlotte then was, Saint Peters on South Tryon.
There were two. Saint Patrick's was established in 1942. My in-laws have attended Saint Patrick's since the cathedral was brand new. I believe that Saint Gabe's was next (1957). Belmont Abbey College, which is only a few minutees from downtown, was established in 1876!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 AM

14 posts, read 74,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
The state of Lousiana is notably absent from the Protestant Bible Belt that dominates religion in the Southern United States.
I think you mean New Orleans is notably absent from the Protestant Bible Belt. The State of Louisiana, especially central and north Louisiana, is most definitely a part of the bible belt. Most of the state has little in common with New Orleans.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,509,809 times
Morocco? Have you been to Morocco? Very Muslim. Suni Muslim. The belief is that the king himself decended from Mohommad so he should be feared and obeyed.

I wouldn't say any US city is like Morocco.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
LOL!

Thank you for your perspective. I don't want to sound like I expect Raleigh to be Morocco or some place, it's still North Carolina.

It's interesting to me, as we do meet Charlotteans who say they know about all the Christian religious presence here, but 'I never see it, I really don't'. And we think, 'hmm...we've been here a short while and [i]do[i] see it and feel it. We did not seek it out either as hotel staff is case and point. Why proseltyse to a hotel guest as he is toasting his bagel during his free breakfast? The lack of manners that is acceptable in 'southern hospitality' seems odd.

If lots of Charlotteans don't feel the religious history and contemporary religious presence in Charlotte, then evangelism hasn't been done properly!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,509,809 times
I think anyone who is part of a religious community feels that theirs is "right" don't you think? I mean, why have a religion if you don't think yours is "the way?"

I will say that religious diversity is one thing I really miss from CA. In CA I was considered a very conservative person and here I am thought of as moderate (one person actually called me a liberal in a very rude way).

It is all a matter of perspective I guess.

So, in answer to the OP, I do think it is much more conservative and much more "Christian" here, at least in influence.....now in practice......well, that sometimes leaves a lot to be desired! LOL!

I am in Charlotte and I would say it is more conservative than Durham but than Raleigh, I am not sure.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Yikes...that's just plain old ignorance. I don't care where someone is from, or how s/he was raised...someone telling another person (not to mention, a child!) that that person is doomed because s/he practices a different religion (or doesn't practice one at all, as the case may be) is the epitome of rudeness and small-mindedness. Any truly spiritual person in this day and age should accept the fact that there are many religions/beliefs that are practiced by many different people, and that people should be free to do so without being persecuted by their neighbors, co-workers, etc...especially in the US. Geez, some people just really need to wake up.

For a person to presume that his or her religion is the be-all, end-all of religions, and that everyone else is wrong or going to hell or whatever, is just ridiculous. Who's to say which religion is the "correct" religion? No one can...because a person's religion is his own personal belief system. Until God, Jesus, etc is/are proven to exist beyond any shadow of a doubt, no one religion is right or wrong...it's just whatever a person BELIEVES IN. Your beliefs are not any more right or wrong than my beliefs. Just because a person may not agree with my beliefs doesn't mean that my beliefs are wrong...and vice versa.

Gosh, I'm sorry that you, roscomac, and your children have had to deal with this type of behavior. I really hope that I don't consistently encounter this type of ignorance when I move to Charlotte. It would be so unfortunate to have to deal with stuff like that in these modern times, in a city that is considered to be up-and-coming, and is full of transplants from different backgrounds and cultures. From what I've been able to ascertain, Charlotte is generally a pretty religious place, but I wonder if its heavily religious environment isn't as innocuous as I had originally thought?

Does everyone in Charlotte (or NC, in general) encounter this type of small-mindedness all the time, or has roscomac just had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, on more than one occasion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality