Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,192,926 times

Advertisements

I have a business contract that requires signatures from a client(s), etc... It contains wording such as:

"Limited Liability: If the Photographer cannot perform this Agreement due to a fire or other casualty, strike, act of God....." etc

I'm thinking about changing this clause to 'Act of Nature vs. Act of God" I've heard few horror stories where insurance companies would not pay for damages because they had no proof of God's existence in court... hence, god couldn't have created "damages"....

Silly? Yes. Makes sense? Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,794,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I have a business contract that requires signatures from a client(s), etc... It contains wording such as:

"Limited Liability: If the Photographer cannot perform this Agreement due to a fire or other casualty, strike, act of God....." etc

I'm thinking about changing this clause to 'Act of Nature vs. Act of God" I've heard few horror stories where insurance companies would not pay for damages because they had no proof of God's existence in court... hence, god couldn't have created "damages"....

If you own the business, why don't you change it?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 AM

I will, i was just curious how "Act of God" can be twisted around.....

Old 08-07-2009, 08:06 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,368,711 times
Quote:

I have never thought of the clause as an escape clause, but in the world of law where every word can be dissected I think you may be right.
It also might be we just don’t trust legal papers, but than again we might have good reason to be careful.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,794,119 times
Quote:
Before the usual suspects show up, you have the answer in the OP itself. Acts of Nature is just fine. Just make sure it doesn't offend your environmentalist clients

Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,447,652 times
Maybe you should include both "act of God" and "act of nature". Then again nature is not a person that can act. Maybe you should think of the wording on that like "any negative occourance of nature". Anyways, I don't think we should be blaming God for anything that happens that is negative. Maybe it should be "any act of Satan". At least the negative will be specified. Maybe you should include "Any act of any God/god/demi-god/celestial being/angel or demon/jinn", just to make sure you cover your basis.

I think that "act of God" has always meant the same thing. It is understood what it means and for someone to argue against this in a court of law seems absurd. For a judge to rule against this wording would litterally mean million of contracts are now questionable. So, I think this wording has presedence. It is not refering to God himself, but events that are just beyond our control. Maybe that is the wording! "any act beyond control".

Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,447,652 times
You could say "Any act beyond control of the photographer including but not limited to: fire, strike, act of God, act of nature...."

Then you can argue for something not on the list so long as it was out of the control of the photographer.

I have once heard that if you have a good relationship with the company you are doing business with, then the contracts should collect dust, or be easily revised if an issue arrises. If you are so concerned with the contract, you may have to consider why your doing business with people that you have to safeguard yourself against so severly.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,684,226 times
Quote:
Why not just simply eliminate the reference to God and use a phrase like "natural phenomenon." Or perhaps cover yourself a little more: "natural phenomenon beyond human control."

Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM

In this day and time, you want to protect yourself regardless of type of business, and type of people you are dealing with. I do business with variety of people and personalities, the better coverage, "protection" will be beneficial to myself and my clients.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,143,291 times
Interesting because I have the same clause in my contracts but after consulting the in house council (Mrs ovcatto) it appears that the issue isn't whether or not "god" caused the event but whether or not the natural event was foreseeable.

Example: Snow storms are an "act of god" but if you agree to a project in the middle of winter, you should have foreseen the possibility of a major snow storm and you should have acted accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality