Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Who really cares what the bible says about dinosaurs? We know dinosaurs existed, There is proof to their existance, we have fossils, bones and other artifacts. I know some Christians who think that dinosaur bones are fake...they where planted by the devil to discredit the bible. People who take the bible word for word always crack me up...lol.
Of course dinosaurs existed, the Bible describes dinosaurs. And we can see dinosaurs in ancient art work. What cracks me up, is how many people believe word for word what some in science tell them. And you should care what the Bible states about dinosaurs, because if the Bible is speaking the truth, then someone else is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
This topic again? Sheez. Ok...

BEHEMOTH AND LEVIATHAN HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH FRIGGEN' DINOSUARS!!!!

In the Talmud and Jewish hymns recited on the festival of Shavuot, known as Akdamut, Behemoth represents the ox.

"...The sport with the Leviathan and the ox (Behemoth)...When they will interlock with one another and engage in combat, with his horns the Behemoth will gore with strength, the fish (Leviathan) will leap to meet him with his fins, with power. Their Creator will approach them with his mighty sword and slay them both. Thus, from the beautiful skin of the Leviathan, God will construct canopies to shelter the righteous, who will eat the meat of the Behemoth [ox] and the Leviathan amid great joy and merriment, at a huge banquet that will be given for them."

As to to Leviathan, according to most ancient Jewish midrash, the Leviathan was created on the fifth day (Yalkut, Gen. 12). Originally god produced a male and a female leviathan, but to keep it from multiplying and destroying the world, god slew the slew the female, reserving its flesh for the banquet that will be given to the righteous on the advent of the messiah. (B. B. 74b).

Source for both the Behemoth and Leviathan citations: Putting God on Trial: The Biblical Book of Job - A Literary, Legal and Philosophical Study by Robert Sutherland

If there were only two and god killed the female, then how could it be a marine reptile of whose fossils MANY examples have been found? Additionally, Leviathan in modern Hebrew, simply means whale.

Additionally, despite Jewish sources, most Christian theologians say that Behemoth represents the hippopotamus.

This is why you christians get into so much trouble when citing the Old Testament as support for your beliefs. Christians hardly EVER consider this most Jewish source in a Jewish context. You totally miss out on the point and meaning of those writings by not looking, studying, or reading with Jewish eyes.

Do you believe in unicorns too? The Book of Job speaks of them as well. Oddly, no unicorn fossil or skeleton has been found.

Sheez.

Last edited by Fullback32; 07-14-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Of course dinosaurs existed, the Bible describes dinosaurs. And we can see dinosaurs in ancient art work. What cracks me up, is how many people believe word for word what some in science tell them. And you should care what the Bible states about dinosaurs, because if the Bible is speaking the truth, then someone else is not.
Or someone else is speaking the truth and the bible is not.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
OMG, do we have to go through this every two weeks? Will you fools ever process the fact that your claims have been debhunked? For the last time - Behemoth is not a dino and in light of proper translation, the "cedar" mentioned is not referring to a tail.. but to a more private body part:

http://stupiddinosaurlies.org/2008/1...bout-behemoth/

Behemoth and Leviathan are not dinosaurs!

NUFF SAID

Well according to the Bible, the leviathan has skin that is made of scales that fit together so tightly, no air could come between them.

Does a hippo or an elephant have scales?

And you know, for a longtime, no one really knew what dinosaur skin looked like. Yet in recent times they found a fossil that clearly showed that at least one dinosaur had scales for skin. Just like the one the Bible talks about.

When a hippo or elephant raiseth itself up, are the mighty men afraid of them? Now I ask that question, because I don't consider myself one of the mighty men, but I rode on the back of an elephant once, and I had no fear of him. And I believe if the Bible was speaking of a hippo or an elephant the mighty men would have no fear of them either. I would believe if they were might men, and they were fearful, it would have to be something a little more agressive. And the Bible states speaking of the mighty men, that none are so fierce that would dare stir him up. And the Bible also tells us. Who can open up the doors of his face, his teeth are terrible round about. Also, Scripture states that neither sword, spear, or dart will effect him.

Upon the earth, there is not his like, who is made without fear.

I'm sorry, but that does not sound like a hippo or an elephant to me.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Well according to the Bible, the leviathan has skin that is made of scales that fit together so tightly, no air could come between them.

Does a hippo or an elephant have scales?
Who said Leviathan was a hippo or elephant? Crocs have been proposed as a likely candidate. Gee, that skin looks like scales. hmm.

Quote:
And you know, for a longtime, no one really knew what dinosaur skin looked like. Yet in recent times they found a fossil that clearly showed that at least one dinosaur had scales for skin. Just like the one the Bible talks about.

When a hippo or elephant raiseth itself up, are the mighty men afraid of them? Now I ask that question, because I don't consider myself one of the mighty men, but I rode on the back of an elephant once, and I had no fear of him. And I believe if the Bible was speaking of a hippo or an elephant the mighty men would have no fear of them either. I would believe if they were might men, and they were fearful, it would have to be something a little more agressive. And the Bible states speaking of the mighty men, that none are so fierce that would dare stir him up. And the Bible also tells us. Who can open up the doors of his face, his teeth are terrible round about. Also, Scripture states that neither sword, spear, or dart will effect him.

Upon the earth, there is not his like, who is made without fear.

I'm sorry, but that does not sound like a hippo or an elephant to me.
Did you know that in that region, hippos and crocs are responsible for more deaths of man than any other beasts? That would instill a lot of fear. They are very respected. And since when did Dinosaurs have navels? You've got to give up this line of reasoning. It is not serving you well.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
This topic again? Sheez. Ok...

BEHEMOTH AND LEVIATHAN HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH FRIGGEN' DINOSUARS!!!!

In the Talmud and Jewish hymns recited on the festival of Shavuot, known as Akdamut, Behemoth represents the ox.

"...The sport with the Leviathan and the ox (Behemoth)...When they will interlock with one another and engage in combat, with his horns the Behemoth will gore with strength, the fish (Leviathan) will leap to meet him with his fins, with power. Their Creator will approach them with his mighty sword and slay them both. Thus, from the beautiful skin of the Leviathan, God will construct canopies to shelter the righteous, who will eat the meat of the Behemoth [ox] and the Leviathan amid great joy and merriment, at a huge banquet that will be given for them."

Additionally, despite Jewish sources, most Christian theologians say that Behemoth represents the hippopotamus.

As to to Leviathan, according to most ancient Jewish midrash, the Leviathan was created on the fifth day (Yalkut, Gen. 12). Originally god produced a male and a female leviathan, but to keep it from multiplying and destroying the world, god slew the slew the female, reserving its flesh for the banquet that will be given to the righteous on the advent of the messiah. (B. B. 74b).

If there were only two and god killed the female, then how could it be a marine reptile of whose fossils MANY examples have been found? Additionally, Leviathan in modern Hebrew, simply means whale.

Source for both the Behemoth and Leviathan citations: Putting God on Trial: The Biblical Book of Job - A Literary, Legal and Philosophical Study by Robert Sutherland

This is why you christians get into so much trouble when citing the Old Testament as support for your beliefs. Christians hardly EVER consider this most Jewish source in a Jewish context. You totally miss out on the point and meaning of those writings by not looking, studying, or reading with Jewish eyes.

Do you believe in unicorns too? The Book of Job speaks of them as well. Oddly, no unicorn fossil or skeleton has been found.

Sheez.
Well, we are not talking about the Talmud or Jewish hymns. We are talking about the Old Testament Scriptures. And these are the same Scriptures which tell us the Jews have been messed up spiritually from the beginning. The God of the Old Testament tells you, He scattered the Jewish people to the ends of the earth because they polluted His name where ever they went. So it should be obvious, if you want to know the truth of the Bible, it is best to stick with the Bible, and not the Jewish hymns. For the God of the Bible tells you, these people have eyes and don't see, and they have ears and they don't hear.

And the Bible will tell you, the leviathan has scales for skin, and it's scales stick so close together, that even air cannot come between them. Does a hippo, or an elephant have scales for skin?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
His teeth are terribly round around..... Scales?
What do you know about Rhinos?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Who said Leviathan was a hippo or elephant? Crocs have been proposed as a likely candidate. Gee, that skin looks like scales. hmm.

Did you know that in that region, hippos and crocs are responsible for more deaths of man than any other beasts? That would instill a lot of fear. They are very respected. And since when did Dinosaurs have navels? You've got to give up this line of reasoning. It is not serving you well.
Crocs can be killed by a spear, yet according to the Bible, and arrow or a spear will have no effect on the leviathan. And having skin that looks like scales, is not what is spoken of in the Book of Job. It clearly states that these are scales that are stuck together so tightly, that air will not pass between them. And when did you see a fully intact dinosaur that would give you full knowledge of the existance or non existance of a navel?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
His teeth are terribly round around..... Scales?
What do you know about Rhinos?
I know that a Rhino can be killed with a spear, yet according to the Bible, a spear, or arrow will have no effect on the Leviathan.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Well, we are not talking about the Talmud or Jewish hymns. We are talking about the Old Testament Scriptures. And these are the same Scriptures which tell us the Jews have been messed up spiritually from the beginning. The God of the Old Testament tells you, He scattered the Jewish people to the ends of the earth because they polluted His name where ever they went. So it should be obvious, if you want to know the truth of the Bible, it is best to stick with the Bible, and not the Jewish hymns. For the God of the Bible tells you, these people have eyes and don't see, and they have ears and they don't hear.

And the Bible will tell you, the leviathan has scales for skin, and it's scales stick so close together, that even air cannot come between them. Does a hippo, or an elephant have scales for skin?
Try reading. The Talmud says that Leviathan is a fish. That is made clear in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality