Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 AM

50,096 posts, read 20,855,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
It can transliterate both ways. BTW I wrote if you said to someone, ie. phonics, so spelling would not be an issue.
Thanks, I understand the transliteration.

Quote:
There is a good reason to believe in God. Since you do not know this there is no further reason for you to comment on the Messiah.
I understand this transliteration, too. 'If you re not a believer, keep quiet.'

However, I propose to comment on the messiah or any other aspect of the matter where I feel the need, whether YOU see reason or not.

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,447,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thanks, I understand the transliteration.

I understand this transliteration, too. 'If you re not a believer, keep quiet.'

However, I propose to comment on the messiah or any other aspect of the matter where I feel the need, whether YOU see reason or not.

Have a nice day.
Your right, we can all comment whether we know what we are talking about or not.

I always have good days. Thank you.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM

62 posts, read 107,693 times
kdbrich, Yes my point is that anyone can be anointed. However the person that is suppose to bring about the Messianic Age is going to be a Jew.

King Cyrus was not a Hebrew but he was anointed ,therefore he was referred to as messiah.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,085,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivria66 View Post
kdbrich, Yes my point is that anyone can be anointed. However the person that is suppose to bring about the Messianic Age is going to be a Jew.

King Cyrus was not a Hebrew but he was anointed ,therefore he was referred to as messiah.
Annointed? Perhaps. THE ANNOINTED? No. That was Jesus.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 PM

62 posts, read 107,693 times
I did not say Cyrus was THE ANNOINTED. You didn't even read my post. No Jesus was never anointed. Show me in the NT where Jesus was anointed, you know oil poured over his head.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,609,157 times
yes very true. the arguments about the messiah will go on forever, no matter how many times he shows up or what he does.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivria66 View Post
I did not say Cyrus was THE ANNOINTED. You didn't even read my post. No Jesus was never anointed. Show me in the NT where Jesus was anointed, you know oil poured over his head.
In Mark 14:3-9 an unnamed woman anointed Jesus with oil.

And Peter told Cornelius that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 AM

50,096 posts, read 20,855,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, whoever you try and suggest is a messiah, there is only one who fulfills all the prophecies of the Old Testament. You might consider the 65 that person fulfilled in the link below.
Prophecies that Jesus Christ Fulfilled
I can see this turning another looooooong discussion about prophecy

However, I can see from a quick look at the link that a lot of these prophecies are goint to fall apart if one says that the gospel - writers searched about in the OT for anything that might fit their view of Jesus - as - messiah and also used some quotes to provide the screenplay, as it were, for the Jesus story. For example the 'look on him who they have pierced' used as a prophecy of the crucifixion actually refers to God (perhaps Judea) hurt by invasion by foreign attackers "they shall look on me who they have pierced".

Another example is the 'Why have you forsaken me?" passage taken from Psalms. It is hard to believe that Jesus, writhing on the cross, would think it a good idea to quote a bit of approproate poetry. And Luke and John don't report any such thing. Luke has jesus talk about consigning his spirit to God and John has an almost triumphant cry. It looks like the gospel - writers picking whatever suited their view of Jesus and writing it into the bare facts: The Romans Crucified a Jew called Yeshua.

Quote:
In Mark 14:3-9 an unnamed woman anointed Jesus with oil.

And Peter told Cornelius that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power.
In fact John makes it clear that woman was Mary, sister of Lazarus. And there may be something in it; that it was intended to be a messianic anointment. I doubt whether the average Jew of the time would see it as more than symbolic though as it was not done by a Priest.

Peter's speculations on what God did or didn't do, of course, are hardly persuasive, even apart from Luke's history of how the Promise came to the gentiles (Acts) being full of events that look highly imaginative, not to say mythical.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:59 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,447,391 times
Quote:

However, I can see from a quick look at the link that a lot of these prophecies are goint to fall apart if one says that the gospel - writers searched about in the OT for anything that might fit their view of Jesus - as - messiah and also used some quotes to provide the screenplay, as it were, for the Jesus story. For example the 'look on him who they have pierced' used as a prophecy of the crucifixion actually refers to God (perhaps Judea) hurt by invasion by foreign attackers "they shall look on me who they have pierced".

Another example is the 'Why have you forsaken me?" passage taken from Psalms. It is hard to believe that Jesus, writhing on the cross, would think it a good idea to quote a bit of approproate poetry. And Luke and John don't report any such thing. Luke has jesus talk about consigning his spirit to God and John has an almost triumphant cry. It looks like the gospel - writers picking whatever suited their view of Jesus and writing it into the bare facts: The Romans Crucified a Jew called Yeshua.

In fact John makes it clear that woman was Mary, sister of Lazarus. And there may be something in it; that it was intended to be a messianic anointment. I doubt whether the average Jew of the time would see it as more than symbolic though as it was not done by a Priest.

Peter's speculations on what God did or didn't do, of course, are hardly persuasive, even apart from Luke's history of how the Promise came to the gentiles (Acts) being full of events that look highly imaginative, not to say mythical.
So, you think that your mind is superior to God's word. Who made you judge? You are fallible man and yet you attempt to disprove the bible. You show you ignorance of scripture. It is written that these things were written that you might believe. It is also written that if all the things that Jesus did were written down that the world would not be able to contain the books. So, the fact that some writters omit perticulars is not that they didn't happen. If the stories matched closer you would say that they are copies. So, just because the authors did not coroborate their stories you are going to reject them. I think it makes them more valid as an eyewitness account.

Jesus did quote the psalmist on the cross. Remember he is God, so it is reasonable for him to quote a psalm that depicts his death and crucifiction. My God, My God why has thou forsaken me? is Psalms 22. Most people do not know that Jesus quoted his own death. They think that he is talking to God the Father for forsaking him. Which God did not.

The anointing of Jesus was done by Mary. It does not say in scripture that it had to be done by a priest. Many times a king was anointed by a man that God called as a prophet. That is just some average Joe who listened to God.

It is written that the word of God is a two edged sword. That means that each word can have two implications. One can be the immediate history of events and also prophetic to a future event. Just because you know the immediate event that it anounces, does not deny the prophetic future event. You seem to not understand the power of the word of God.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,101 times
Quote:

Of course it refers to God. Because Jesus Christ was God. And when God says they shall look upon me whom (THEY) have pierced. (THEY), is not a reference to foreign attackers. (THEY), is a reference to the (JEWISH PEOPLE).

(THEY) shall look upon me.
(THEY) shall mourn for me.
(THEY) have pierced me.

You can't blame Christian writers, on Old Testament writings. And clearly in Zec.12, God shows you, it was the Jewish people who pierced GOD. And when the Jewish people finally understand what they have done, the entire nation of Israel will go into a deep state of mourning. This is clearly pointed out in verses 11 through 14 of Zec. 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality