Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,022,910 times

Advertisements

Atheism isn't a religion. Believers seem incable of understanding that even after it has been clearly explained to them why it isn't. An atheist is someone who relies on facts and reason to form their beliefs and moral code. It doesn't take faith to not concern yourself with the belief in invisible friends and fantasylands, just like it doesn't take faith to live like there is no Thor. Even if atheism did take faith, that doesn't make it a religion. The simple lack of belief in something isn't religion. Religion gives someone a set moral code, doctrine, beliefs and philosophy to live by. Atheism gives none of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,224,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Yes you can test what atom's do, but it is even harder to prove that one actually exists. Can I see it, feel it, hear it, smell it? Some kind of tangible evidence that one actually exists? Not just a reaction of one. I do believe that they exist, I am just trying to prove a point.
I know the point you are trying to make. Trouble is,
with atoms, we can test the hypothesis with instrumentation anywhere in the world independent of worldview and the results are identical.

Somehow that does not work with deities as there are so many.

BTW I was merely responding to the atom vs god scenario and I should have said you folk instead of you, apologies.

As for the A Bomb, the theory of how it would work works, the fallout is radioactive et al. Normal explosives do not do that and BTW there were far bigger bombs in WW2

Grand Slam bomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

leaving no radioactive fallout

Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,935,271 times
Default A few Alternate Definitions

Precisely, Agnostic; but I'd also like to add my two bits worth here.

"Atheists define their beliefs as follows:

An Atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An Atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy.

An Atheist believes that he will get no help through prayer but rather he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and enjoy it.

An Atheist believes that only through a full knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man and the world and Universe around him can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment.

An Atheist seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. He believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man.

An Atheist wants and seeks an ethical way of life. He believes that we cannot rely on a god or channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter.

An Atheist believes that we are our brother's keepers; and are keepers of our own lives; that we are responsible persons and the job is here and the time is now.”

I think this sums it up rather well, don't you?

(It doesn't mention an ethically bereft or morally corrupt person anywhere! Imagine that! That's just a convenient construct of those who dislike atheism and its simple objectives.)

Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,224,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Precisely, Agnostic; but I'd also like to add my two bits worth here.

"Atheists define their beliefs as follows:

An Atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An Atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy.

An Atheist believes that he will get no help through prayer but rather he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and enjoy it.

An Atheist believes that only through a full knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man and the world and Universe around him can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment.

An Atheist seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. He believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man.

An Atheist wants and seeks an ethical way of life. He believes that we cannot rely on a god or channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter.

An Atheist believes that we are our brother's keepers; and are keepers of our own lives; that we are responsible persons and the job is here and the time is now.”

I think this sums it up rather well, don't you?

(It doesn't mention an ethically bereft or morally corrupt person anywhere! Imagine that! That's just a convenient construct of those who dislike atheism and its simple objectives.)
That's a creed I can live with. Oddly enough, most of what you say is in a nutshell what Jesus taught, like the love thy neighbor bits, the kingdom has descended/at hand.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,929,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Atheism isn't a religion. Believers seem incable of understanding that even after it has been clearly explained to them why it isn't. An atheist is someone who relies on facts and reason to form their beliefs and moral code. It doesn't take faith to not concern yourself with the belief in invisible friends and fantasylands, just like it doesn't take faith to live like there is no Thor. Even if atheism did take faith, that doesn't make it a religion. The simple lack of belief in something isn't religion. Religion gives someone a set moral code, doctrine, beliefs and philosophy to live by. Atheism gives none of that.
Aside from the fantasyland type comments I really do hear what you are saying. I don't think Atheism is a religion but I do think it takes faith none the less.

So why label yourself as an agnostic, or someone else as an atheist? It just seems Atheism is going from the individual to a group such as a religion. As I said, I don't think it is one, but it seems that it is turning into what you are against. I hear the same quotes from famous atheists kind of like your leaders. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Atheist meeting houses were everyone can congregate and be with like minded people, just like someone going to church. I am not saying this is how it is obviously, but it seems to be heading this way. I wouldn't have a problem with it personally, but it would be pretty ironic.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
i think true atheists are pretty enlightened people they think they have moral conscious.
but mostly what i run into are angry former church members who cant get their former church to rubber stamp their new life style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality