Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:54 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,109,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
All thoughout history countries ruled by secular law have been more prosperous and sucessful then those ruled by religious law. Even today Secular Europe, East Asia, and the Americas blow the religious run Middle East out of the water.

It was the same in the past when secular China dominated Medieval Europe in prosparity and technology. In fact Europe only began to be able to compete with China during the renaisonce when religious law began to break down. Additionally the more secular governed Romans and Greeks destroyed their more religious counterparts in the Middle East. In fact the Roman Empire began to decline much more percipitously when strict religious law was introduced in the 4th century AD.
Thank God for that. LOL.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I dunno if secular is better than religious law, but I do know that the foundation of every nation's law should be the Universal Declaration of Human Rights*.
Good point.

Regards
DL

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I agree Secular law is hands down better than any religious law. I actually view religious law as a method of controlling the population for the purpose of gaining power and wealth for the few (Church). It is no more than a political tool.
Secular law, if managed correctly, views from a neutral point of view. You know it is working as designed if everyone is upset with the rules. This is one of the main reasons I see a Supreme Court with a division of conservatives and liberals as the most important balance of power in our US government.
Not only that but if you have a beef, you can put it in front of an actual judge. With religion the judge is on a perpetual holiday and his minions are to out of it without their shepherd that all the can do is bleat away and say the books way of hell for you. Oh well.

Regards
DL

Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
By RobinD69
"No secular law is a slippery slope."

Secular laws can be improved and updated to change any lack of fairness. Secular laws don't use undefinable labels as immoral. Religious laws don't make any progress; they are not open for discussion and/or criticism.
That or if the big guy is peeved, he uses genocide as justice.
Nothing wrong with that if you can swim for 40 days and nights I guess.

Hell our Secularist judges don't even carry a bombs. I guess they are old fashioned and do not kill as readily as God.

Regards
DL

Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One thing you have to say about C-D: everything, and I do mean everything, comes down to "better." My city is better than your city. My religion is better than your religion. My candidate for President is better than your candidate. My law is better than your law. Before I discovered this site, I had absolutely no idea that everything in the world could be categorized so simply.
Not always that simple but it nice to be able to at least see the evidence and chose for yourself instead of some old book telling you how to think and vote.

Regards
DL

Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM

I must have worded this one right. Religionist are conspicuous with their absence.

I feel so good, I made them fear this Lord of ideas more than their own. Me and the help of you guys.

Thanks.

Regards
DL

Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,334,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
I must have worded this one right. Religionist are conspicuous with their absence.

I feel so good, I made them fear this Lord of ideas more than their own. Me and the help of you guys.

Thanks.

Regards
DL

Religious law is better as it is God's law. What 'weakness' that a secular person sees with that kind of law is mostly due to how the laws are interpreted and carried out - sadly, mis-interpretation and miscarriage are so often the case. Those entrusted to enforce the laws often end up abusing them. That is human weakenss not God's.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Religious law is better as it is God's law. What 'weakness' that a secular person sees with that kind of law is mostly due to how the laws are interpreted and carried out - sadly, mis-interpretation and miscarriage are so often the case. Those entrusted to enforce the laws often end up abusing them. That is human weakenss not God's.
If God's laws are so good then why does he break his own laws of killing man?

Genocide is a sin of high order. Killing that many children and babies must have been fun for him especally with people like you handing him the buckets of water.

Bring the buckets slave.

All those animals must have been evil as well.

Regards
DL

Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM

998 posts, read 1,334,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
If God's laws are so good then why does he break his own laws of killing man?

Genocide is a sin of high order. Killing that many children and babies must have been fun for him especally with people like you handing him the buckets of water.

Bring the buckets slave.

All those animals must have been evil as well.

Regards
DL
But you are applying a mortal's concept to God. Those people have been warned countless times by the prophets yet they still ignore. We are after all His creations and thus He can do what He pleases with us.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
But you are applying a mortal's concept to God. Those people have been warned countless times by the prophets yet they still ignore. We are after all His creations and thus He can do what He pleases with us.
God gave man dominion over the earth and ourselves and our laws. He gave up the right, if your imaginary God can be said to have any, to punish.

Did he lie about that as well?

We know he breaks his own laws. Does he break his word as well?

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality