Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times

Advertisements

I see alot of posts from atheists on this site who are good about attacking those of the faiths, but I haven't seen much of an explanation regarding the origin of man or the universe. Can you account for existence, morality, and significance of action with an atheistic worldview?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I see alot of posts from atheists on this site who are good about attacking those of the faiths, but I haven't seen much of an explanation regarding the origin of man or the universe. Can you account for existence, morality, and significance of action with an atheistic worldview?
Modern science accounts for existence, morality, and significance of action by applying logic and reason to the sciences of archaeology, anthropology, geology, biology, chemistry, etc., and then gathering evidence to form and support valid world views.

And before you dismiss science and argue in favor or your Bible to explain the complexities of the human existence (the Bible of which has never been proven to have been written by anybody other than mortal men), consider all the discoveries that came about as a result of science:

Science is responsible for the discovery of viruses and the vaccines that protect us against them; science is responsible for the theory of plate techtonics; science is responsible for the revelation that the world is indeed not flat; science is responsible for electricity; science is responsible for the pacemaker; science is responsible for...(you get my drift).

I hope that answered your question.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Ya kinda threw me with your choice of words there, I doubt anyone, or anything has a viable worldview, since a worldview is a perspective, it is not a living organism, the word viable means "able to live" I suspect you meant to say "workable" and, of course atheists have a workable worldview, without the need for mythological beasties or events. Over millions of years things evolved, adapted to their environment, most organisms that were around tens of millions of years ago are not present in this day and age, at least not in their original form. Honey Bees have been around for quite some time, I found a piece of amber with an entact, (mostly, one leg broke off, but is still very close by) bee, at least one of the pollen sacs is still full. Bees evolved many millions of years ago, and have remain virtually unchanged for many millenia. Other animals, like homo sapien, are relative newcomers on the earth's biological scene, the predominant theory is that man is not yet fully evolved, but, opinions vary as to possible mutations yet to come. But that is the process of evolution, something mutates, changes just a little. If the change is beneficial it eventually worms it's way into the gene pool, if not beneficial, it will die out, the slow process of natural selection. Nature keeps what works, and keeps changes that allow an organism to work better.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 PM

I do not discount sciences' contributions to the quality of life on earth or the need to further persue. Nor do I discount the process of evolution. Nor do I fall upon "my bible" to attack science (I agree it was written by men). I simply question an atheist's ability to explain "the beginning" of the universe, and the inherent meaning of right and wrong without intellegent design. I wish to discuss how the "valid" world view of an atheist has been formed and supported, and just what it may be.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
Quote:
I do not discount sciences' contributions to the quality of life on earth or the need to further persue. Nor do I discount the process of evolution. Nor do I fall upon "my bible" to attack science (I agree it was written by men). I simply question an atheist's ability to explain "the beginning" of the universe, and the inherent meaning of right and wrong without intellegent design. I wish to discuss how the "valid" world view of an atheist has been formed and supported, and just what it may be.
The beginning of the universe...we don't know. Now why is that so hard for you god-believers to understand or say? And just because we don't know, the answer does NOT default automatically to "god did it". Right and wrong are easy. If you can't discern right and wrong without referring to your bible, then I really feel sorry for you.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Do you refer to the bible for your right and wrong? Or where do you turn for that. And what is the harm for looking for the best possible theory? Or are you just happy with we don't know? If I was, I suppose I would either believe anything or just not even talk about it. So what's the point of your post?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 PM

598 posts, read 917,259 times
The problem with religious world view is that they presume their certain religious answer being true and the only possible answer out there

For example, one type religious world view is "die on the cross for the savior of sins", and that's the only thing they know (I don't blame them ... they have been brainwashed that way since early childhood). And, they presume that's the only true story out there.

So, you often hear about religious follower know "why", and "have a world view".

Religion is like mental condition, its followers are incapable asking themselves rational questions like:

1). How could someone's death save the whole worlds from some mystical "sins"?

2). What exactly are the mystical "sins"?

3). There are lot things going on in the world, why care about mystical "sins"

4). What if someone talk to you about "sins", just so you will go to church for your whole life?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 PM

Not sure how to reply to this as it doesn't address the question at all. There is an attack on a theistic worldview. I am not interested in thoughts on Christianity. I am seeking a definitive explanation on an atheistic worldview and how it can explain existense, morality, and significance of action.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 PM

598 posts, read 917,259 times
"die on the cross for the savior of sins" - worldview, one and the only one.

What's atheist's worldview?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM

Exactly my question. Please help Bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.