Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:56 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Following the course of your logic, the solution is then to legalize child abuse and open clinics where we can strive to make child abuse safe, legal, and rare.
NO! THAT's YOUR logic, NOT mine!

Quote:
For someone who cannot care for a child, adoption is always an option.
And if they won't give the child up we just take it? There's a move towards progressive government
Quote:
Look. No one is claiming that crisis pregnancies are a problem. That's obvious. But killing the child is not the answer. We need to strive for a just solution to this problem that guards the rights of both mother and child. If we wanted to be really mangnanimous, we might even figure the father into the equation on occasion.

What you propose will never happen until we have agreement on what exactly constitutes a child. Maybe when pigs fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Hillary was a Sunday school teacher, for God's sake. Give me a break!

From a 1996 speech by (United Methodist)BISHOP RICHARD B. WILKE: ...when Julie and I moved to Little Rock, Ark., Julie had joined the First United Methodist Church of Little Rock, and I entered my offices in that very same building. We quickly discovered that Hillary Clinton was a vibrant and vital part of the life of that congregation, serving as a Sunday school teacher, a worker with youth, a faithful worshiper in the church. We were privileged to worship with Mrs. Clinton and Chelsea. In fact we were present the morning that Chelsea was confirmed in the church there and both Governor Clinton and Mrs. Clinton were present.

And, BTW, W is a member of the same denomination. Let's find a statement from somone commenting on his active involvement in the church.
I think the complaint againt's W from the left has always been that he has brought too much christianity to the White House hasn't it? You are kind of proving our point! Mrs Bill Clinton also used to be a Goldwater Republican, she wants to be a senator from NY, she becomes a lifelong Yankees fan, wants to lock up the southern black vote, she becomes Rosa Park drawl n all!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:23 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
NO! THAT's YOUR logic, NOT mine!
Not me. I'm the one wanting to make it illegal, remember? If it is wrong, then it should be illegal. One of the pro-choice arguments is that abortions are going to happen anyway, so we need to make it legal. I don't buy that. I won't even say that's bad logic, 'cause it isn't logic at all.

Quote:
And if they won't give the child up we just take it?
If a child is the victim of neglect or abuse, then yes, authorities should step in. But we do that already. Your point was for children who are unwanted. Unwanted children should be given up for adoption, not killed.

Quote:
What you propose will never happen until we have agreement on what exactly constitutes a child.
Don't confuse a scientific and moral point with a semantic one. Yes, there is a difference between an embryo and a fetus, and between a fetus and an infant. Duh. But there's also a difference between an infant and a child, a child and a teenager, a teenager and an adult, an adult and a senior. Obviously. Different stages of physical, emotional, or psychological development does not negate the fact that all of those are human. But abortion says that it is okay to a human prior to a certain stage of physical development. That makes no sense.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I think the complaint againt's W from the left has always been that he has brought too much christianity to the White House hasn't it?
A very small portion of the left maybe. G.W.'s biggest problem is that he brought neo-conservatism to the White House. That has nothing to do with his religion or lack thereof.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
I think the complaint againt's W from the left has always been that he has brought too much christianity to the White House hasn't it? You are kind of proving our point! Mrs Bill Clinton also used to be a Goldwater Republican, she wants to be a senator from NY, she becomes a lifelong Yankees fan, wants to lock up the southern black vote, she becomes Rosa Park drawl n all!
Correct. And the fact that she doesn't wear her religion on her sleeve, means what?

As for pandering to Blacks, Clinton has always had a strong connection to the African American community- first Black president and all that. But, honestly, both parties do it- it's called getting elected. The way you win the game is to go to the groups that vote. I seem to remember W embracing negroes after Katrina. (You'll remember, the ones that his mama later said were better off after the hurricane?!) Both sides do it.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Don't confuse a scientific and moral point with a semantic one. Yes, there is a difference between an embryo and a fetus, and between a fetus and an infant. Duh. But there's also a difference between an infant and a child, a child and a teenager, a teenager and an adult, an adult and a senior. Obviously. Different stages of physical, emotional, or psychological development does not negate the fact that all of those are human. But abortion says that it is okay to a human prior to a certain stage of physical development. That makes no sense.

Well I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm willing to accept the law as it stands.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:38 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Correct. And the fact that she doesn't wear her religion on her sleeve, means what?

As for pandering to Blacks, Clinton has always had a strong connection to the African American community- first Black president and all that. But, honestly, both parties do it- it's called getting elected. The way you win the game is to go to the groups that vote. I seem to remember W embracing negroes after Katrina. (You'll remember, the ones that his mama later said were better off after the hurricane?!) Both sides do it.
Actually she does where her religion on her sleeve when it is a political necessity, like campaigning in a black church, but she knows that in general it is a political liability considering her party affiliation! which speaks to the blatant hypocricy, that was my point!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:

She WANTS to be a senator from NY? At least get your facts straight--she IS a senator from NY.

And the complaint isn't that W brought too much christianity to the White House, it's that he brought too little ability to the White House. His reference to the coming war on terrorism as a crusade was inexcusable and just hi-lighted his ignorance of history.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
And the complaint isn't that W brought too much christianity to the White House, it's that he brought too little ability to the White House.
Spot on.

Actually, I really do think that Republicans were even shocked that he made in 2000. Everyone expected Gore to win. They underestimated the ruthlessness and corruption of the Bush campaign machine. All the Republican bets were on Jeb for '04.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Spot on.

Actually, I really do think that Republicans were even shocked that he made in 2000. Everyone expected Gore to win. They underestimated the ruthlessness and corruption of the Bush campaign machine. All the Republican bets were on Jeb for '04.

Gore did win the popular vote in 2000. Instead of wasting time talking about Constitutional amendments about same-sex marriage I wish we could get an amendment that would let our leaders actually be elected by the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality