Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Making abortion illegal will not stop abortions ...
Making murder, theft, and assault illegal has not stopped murder, theft, and assault. Should we then legalize them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 12:49 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
the AMA when they are found to promote giving medication that can be hazzardous to ones health, and when they promoted smoking before the 60s then they were smarter than the average person medically? Ha ha, dont think so.

murder of a child is morally wrong, and while I wouldnt have an abortion, we still have an obligation to overturn bad and murderous laws--like we did in overturning Plessy v Ferguson with law that ended segregation in public facilities. racism is racism, just as murderering a child is murderering a child.

Exactly how and when was the AMA promoting smoking? And given our knowledge of smoking's affects in the '60s that would hardly mean that the AMA was not medically more knowledgeable than the general public.

No one questions the murder of a child being morally AND legally wrong.

I guess the argument has been, is, and most likely always will be just when does a mass of cells become an individual human being?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What decisions would those be?
The decisions that have ruled abortion to be legal and that aborting a fetus is not the taking of a human life.

THAT's a legal decison. If your religious/moral view is different I respect that, just don't tell me I must believe what you believe.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
when you are thinking about having unprotected sex with a person of the opposite sex, and the knowledge that egg meeting sperm can and will create a baby.

It happens when you brain is on and you are having sex. um thats what the parts are for and the substance that mixes

Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Exactly how and when was the AMA promoting smoking? And given our knowledge of smoking's affects in the '60s that would hardly mean that the AMA was not medically more knowledgeable than the general public.

No one questions the murder of a child being morally AND legally wrong.

I guess the argument has been, is, and most likely always will be just when does a mass of cells become an individual human being?
You hit the nail on the head. IMO, when it's brain waves can be distinguished from any other animal, about the 20th week.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
when you are thinking about having unprotected sex with a person of the opposite sex, and the knowledge that egg meeting sperm can and will create a baby.

It happens when you brain is on and you are having sex. um thats what the parts are for and the substance that mixes

How's the weather there in FantasyLand?

Let's be real, people are human, humans make mistakes. It'd be great if they didn't but they do, and then they have to deal with it.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM

cold, we havent seen hide nor hair of that global warming that was promised, think i will go and heat up my SUV to warm up the atmosphere. Oh shucks, I dont know if it will do that or will it cause global cooling. dang, scientist can get it wrong sometimes, hmmmmm.

people can make mistakes, one time, and then they get pregnant, dont make another and kill the child.

fantasyland is pretty good, you are here too it seems since we are talking

Old 03-06-2007, 01:13 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I haven't seen either of the Clinton/Obama speeches so I can't comment on that. For what it's worth, I feel that beyond supporting affirmative action and other intended equal opportunity programs, the majority of black churchgoers are actually relatively conservative. Bush made a bit of inroads with this when he invoked the "scary" spectre of gay marriage in '04. However, historic Louisiana politics aside, he lost that advantage and made it that much tougher for McCain or whomever after the initial response to Hurricane Katrina.

I do feel though that today when one thinks "religious" or "Christian", one is likely to assume "conservative". That's due to the success of the religious right in defining spirituality in this country. The religious left is definitely out there but, for whatever reason, their voice is not heard so much. I can't think of a single syndicated show on Sunday morning - let alone on CBN or TBN - where the preachers claim to be progressive or liberal. However, I would love to be proven wrong.
Trying to bring this thread back to the original topic! The reason we don't here so much about the religious left, "and I use that term loosely" I believe, is it really is an oxymoron, and how can the media trot them out too often without exposing their hipocracy! this is going to open up a can of worms but how can you be a bible believing christian and support a party that is made up of so many groups that go againts the nature of your beliefs.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
people can make mistakes, one time, and then they get pregnant, dont make another and kill the child.

fantasyland is pretty good, you are here too it seems since we are talking

Well, I think the only place we disagree on this issue is what constitutes a 'child'?

I just don't believe scientifically that a child exists from the moment of conception and I believe it is scientific evidence that law should be based on.

Religious beliefs are up to the individual and I hope will always remain that way in the US.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 PM

thank you silas, that is so true and about liberals who call themselves christian but deny the words and authority of Christ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality