Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 02:24 PM

13,730 posts, read 8,030,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think sometimes we move too fast, and then there's a bit of a backlash. But over time we continue moving forward.
What makes this particular time in history unique is that we have a looming population collapse, the likes of which humanity has not experienced since the Black Death ravaged Europe in the 1300s. Unlike the plague, this looming collapse is self-inflicted via a collective unwillingness to breed.

The world will look VERY different 50-100 years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 03:25 PM

9,399 posts, read 13,054,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
A significant element of the "Spirit of the 60s" was the yearning for novelty.

All novelties eventually become dated. What seemed "new" and "fresh" in the 60s/70s now seems stale and ridiculous.

Case in point: that Donna Summer video
You seem to be conflating fads (say, Pet Rocks) with trends (say, disco music) and cultural forces (say, the civil rights movement). Every generation has them. When it comes to long-term impacts and legacies and influences on future generations, YMMV.

Quote:
I think many in the younger generations have realized this, which is why there has been a push to return to tradition. Ever-present novelty tends to create a yearning for what is timeless.
What’s “tradition” in this context? ‘50s rockabilly? ‘40s pop standards? ‘30s show tunes? 12th century Gregorian chants? I would be genuinely curious to hear what music you listen to (assuming, perhaps naively, that you’ll provide a serious answer).

Quote:
What makes this particular time in history unique is that we have a looming population collapse, the likes of which humanity has not experienced since the Black Death ravaged Europe in the 1300s. Unlike the plague, this looming collapse is self-inflicted via a collective unwillingness to breed.

Family planning is great. You’re welcome to have as many children as (or even more than!) Rick Santorum. Two for me is plenty, and I would have been fine with just one from a financial responsibility standpoint.

My patrilineal great-grandfather was the second of ten, eight of whom survived to adulthood. It’s no accident he and his siblings who married had far smaller families, even before the advent of the pill and other advanced methods of birth control.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:44 PM

51,032 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:

This is a good time for you to wake up about your perspective. What do you keep talking about? The Inquisition, the Black Death, the plague.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is a good time for you to wake up about your perspective. What do you keep talking about? The Inquisition, the Black Death, the plague.
I'm not sure what you're getting at; but my perspective is long term. I'm more interested in the future than I am the present.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
A significant element of the "Spirit of the 60s" was the yearning for novelty.

All novelties eventually become dated. What seemed "new" and "fresh" in the 60s/70s now seems stale and ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
You seem to be conflating fads (say, Pet Rocks) with trends (say, disco music) and cultural forces (say, the civil rights movement).
No. All of those things you listed are examples of the pursuit of novelty in varying facets of life -- which greatly accelerated in the 1960s to unprecedented levels.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I think many in the younger generations have realized this, which is why there has been a push to return to tradition. Ever-present novelty tends to create a yearning for what is timeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
What’s “tradition” in this context? ‘50s rockabilly? ‘40s pop standards? ‘30s show tunes? 12th century Gregorian chants? I would be genuinely curious to hear what music you listen to (assuming, perhaps naively, that you’ll provide a serious answer).
The context in which I was speaking is that of this thread and the article that inspired it -- tradition in the context of the Catholic Church.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:36 PM

20,105 posts, read 13,567,898 times
Quote:
No. All of those things you listed are examples of the pursuit of novelty in varying facets of life -- which greatly accelerated in the 1960s to unprecedented levels.
No, it is not true that people mostly are just "effete snobs" (to channel Spiro Agnew) who are bored and seeking novelty. That's a facile way to dismiss all of human endeavor, warts and all (while assuming it's all warts), but it's far from the truth.

The hippies, to pick one example, really did want peace and love. They were naive in how they advocated for that, and ironically, most of them are now part of the establishment, just like you.

A great many of their children and grandchildren are too underpaid and overworked to be part of the establishment, though, so there's that.

As far as religion goes, yes there's a trend toward more traditional themes, but is that because it actually delivers for folks, or because they have no real hope or future in this society and are turning to various kinds of authoritarians for "answers"? Also, what role do cycles of conservatism and liberalism in religion and other realms play? Those tend to switch places from one generation to the next.

Be careful what you hope for -- you might get it!

Old 05-11-2024, 09:07 AM

18,520 posts, read 9,203,092 times
Quote:

After the Black Death, things were great for those who survived. There was less competition for resources, and the quality of life actually improved. It was the only time in medieval history that life actually improved for the average person.

Have you seen the price of housing and food recently? Population decline is a good thing.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
After the Black Death, things were great for those who survived. There was less competition for resources, and the quality of life actually improved. It was the only time in medieval history that life actually improved for the average person.

Have you seen the price of housing and food recently? Population decline is a good thing.
While I would posit that population decline is never a good thing, it must be qualified that the 14th century world was not one dependent upon complex global systems in order to keep everyone fed. Most people just grew and raised their own food.

Population decline in a complex economic system has much more serious implications than population decline in a simple economy.

Regardless, the population decline of the 14th century was circumstantial and certainly not intentional. The looming population decline that is threatening is completely self-inflicted. Modernity has driven us to a state of despair. We have collectively lost the will to survive.

Old Today, 11:16 AM

18,520 posts, read 9,203,092 times
Quote:
While I would posit that population decline is never a good thing, it must be qualified that the 14th century world was not one dependent upon complex global systems in order to keep everyone fed. Most people just grew and raised their own food.

Population decline in a complex economic system has much more serious implications than population decline in a simple economy.

Regardless, the population decline of the 14th century was circumstantial and certainly not intentional. The looming population decline that is threatening is completely self-inflicted. Modernity has driven us to a state of despair. We have collectively lost the will to survive.
We could try Francoism. Maybe that will lift peoples’ spirits.

We might just get it…before Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality