Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

23,201 posts, read 10,485,389 times

Advertisements

Alot of them had one enduring quality, the brotherhood.

The unseen hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
They could pray in their own house.
In the New England Town that I live in, there are 5 churches within walking distance in the vicinity of Main Street and several more around town. I was informed by a town historian that in the beginning, like 1646 when the town was formed, the first question a newcomer was asked was what church he belonged to. Not if he was a Christian or not, what Church. Being a Christian was a given. Jews were not sold houses to, nor Black people of course although they would have been Christians likely.
Things have changed. There is a Hindu temple and Jewish temples now, an Islam center. Our Senior Center greets people with Namaste and in other languages. That is because we are a secular democracy, even if mainly a nation of Christians. America leans religious.
I would say that in terms of religion, overall America leans shallow.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

182 posts, read 35,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would say that in terms of religion, overall America leans shallow.
It seems like perhaps your own experience has affected your outlook. Like you haven't been able to move past it.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
It seems like perhaps your own experience has affected your outlook. Like you haven't been able to move past it.
Oh gee...can you imagine. A person's outlook(s) have been affected by their experiences. Who would have ever thought?

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

7,376 posts, read 4,162,829 times
Yes, it was a Christian country.

In 1776, some ideas seemed so obvious that it didn't need to be said.

The founding father's assumed the great majority of immigrants were Christians and this would continue.

Quote:
The First Barbary War (1801–1805).

The First Barbary War was the first major American war fought outside the New World, and in the Arab world

Barbary corsairs and crews from the quasi-independent North African Ottoman provinces of Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli, and the independent Sultanate of Morocco under the Alaouite dynasty (the Barbary Coast) were the scourge of the Mediterranean. Capturing merchant ships and enslaving or ransoming their crews provided the rulers of these nations with wealth and naval power. According to Robert Davis, between 1 and 1.25 million Europeans were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves between the 16th and 19th centuries.

Barbary corsairs led attacks upon American merchant shipping in an attempt to extort ransom for the lives of captured sailors, and ultimately tribute from the United States to avoid further attacks, as they had with the various European states.

In March 1786, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams went to London to negotiate with Tripoli's envoy, ambassador Sidi Haji Abdrahaman (or Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja). When they enquired "concerning the ground of the pretensions to make war upon nations who had done them no injury", the ambassador replied:

"It was written in their Koran, that all nations which had not acknowledged the Prophet were sinners, whom it was the right and duty of the faithful to plunder and enslave; and that every mussulman who was slain in this warfare was sure to go to paradise. He said, also, that the man who was the first to board a vessel had one slave over and above his share, and that when they sprang to the deck of an enemy's ship, every sailor held a dagger in each hand and a third in his mouth; which usually struck such terror into the foe that they cried out for quarter at once."

Jefferson reported the conversation to Secretary of Foreign Affairs John Jay, who submitted the ambassador's comments and offer to Congress.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

As Europeans were not keen to be slaves, the Muslim religion was not compatible with Christianity or the USA. You think? History and its facts are our friend.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

9,364 posts, read 13,028,693 times
I can’t disagree that America was and is a Christian nation in a de facto sense. That’s something people from non-Christian backgrounds learn at a young age. It’s not always malevolent and is often incidental, but it’s certainly there. You know you are among the othered. Even in my earlier childhood when I thought the world was 50/50 Jewish and Gentile like my public school classes and social cohort, I knew we Jews were not among the societally favored half.

But that doesn’t make the United States a Christian country in a legal or governing sense. Would I want to live under Sharia law? Hell no. But I also don’t want this country operated as a Christian theocracy or a Jewish theocracy or any sort of theocracy.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,959,477 times
Most early state constitutions only allowed those who were of the Protestant religion to hold public office.

https://csac.history.wisc.edu/docume...ons-1776-1784/

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I can’t disagree that America was and is a Christian nation in a de facto sense. That’s something people from non-Christian backgrounds learn at a young age. It’s not always malevolent and is often incidental, but it’s certainly there. You know you are among the othered. Even in my earlier childhood when I thought the world was 50/50 Jewish and Gentile like my public school classes and social cohort, I knew we Jews were not among the societally favored half.

But that doesn’t make the United States a Christian country in a legal or governing sense. Would I want to live under Sharia law? Hell no. But I also don’t want this country operated as a Christian theocracy or a Jewish theocracy or any sort of theocracy.
Theocracy erroneously pretends that God wants us to RULE in His place. But God is not about "ruling" at all. God wants VOLUNTARY acceptance and adoption of His Holy Spirit of agape love as the "governing factor" in our lives. That is how we avoid sin, NOT obeying laws or commandments.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

16,006 posts, read 7,059,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

That is not the point of this thread, I don't think. It is whether the founders saw the U.S.as a Christian nation.
Yes, and it still is. The nation is of the people and the people are mostly Christian.
As a comparison, and not to slide into off-topic discussion, Israel is in both intent and purpose a Jewish State.
It is not clear to me what that means, if not a theocracy.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is not the point of this thread, I don't think. It is whether the founders saw the U.S.as a Christian nation.
Yes, and it still is. The nation is of the people and the people are mostly Christian.
As a comparison, and not to slide into off-topic discussion, Israel is in both intent and purpose a Jewish State.
It is not clear to me what that means, if not a theocracy.
The intent in founding the two countries, speaking in religious terms, was diametrically opposed. Even the earliest settlers to the U.S. came here for freedom of religion, because they had been persecuted for their beliefs in England. The founders specifically separated religion from the governance of the country so that no one would comingle religion with politics. Israel, on the other hand, was a refuge for Jews to live and practice their religion since they had been killed in the millions for doing so in WWII, aside from being Jewish alone (i.e., racial reasons). It was, at the time, pretty much the one place on earth where they could exist as Jews in all ways without reprisal. They chose their form of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality