Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times

Advertisements

"Eye for an eye" = Hatfields and McCoys. I have to avenge your killing my brother who killed your sister who killed my cousin who killed your mother who killed my son who killed your grandmother... until last man standing.

"Turn the other cheek". One and done.

Eye for an eye is why inner city gang-bang killings never end until one gang runs out of members, which never happens.

This is not a Christianity forum, so I won't expound on the concept of forgiveness but "eye for an eye" violates the concept of Christian forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Great points. Instead of robotic reactions, rise above the reactions towards real solutions. Maybe it's not about the tired old Option A or Option B extremes. Maybe it's C, or D, or... Think outside the little box.
yes. that is how "either or thinking" is described by medical professionals, as thinking in extremes. It is a cognitive distortion, also called "black and white thinking."

"Black and white thinking doesn’t allow you to find the middle ground, which can be hard to sustain in life at those extremes. Becoming less rigid in our thinking lets us stop using “all or nothing” statements to depress ourselves without examining whether or not they’re true."

"Either or thinking creates a false dilemma. It presents only two choices, often two extremes. Yet there are almost always more options."

Regarding the cognitive distortion of either-or thinking, "This distortion occurs when people habitually think in extremes without considering all the possible facts in a given situation. For example, people are either angelic or evil. This kind of distortion is unrealistic and often unhelpful because reality often exists between the two extremes."

resources on the problem with "either or thinking" here and here and here.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 02:59 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
^ Exactly. Can't rep you any more for now, but that's perfectly on-target.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Allah said
If ye punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith ye were afflicted.
But if ye endure patiently, verily it is better for the patient.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
A+ GIF (without commenting on the spirit of the sentiment).

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
A+ GIF (without commenting on the spirit of the sentiment).
violence begets violence.
abuse begets abuse.

that is what you are giving an A+ and cheering about ????

it is the bar room brawl mentality.
it takes far more guts, maturity, and class to walk away from an altercation.

Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM

A racially-loaded situation might be more understandable for return violence, but that's not useful when we are talking in general terms. Or perhaps that was a ruse from the beginning. This thread apparently was meant to be slanted to gain "points" for one side, for all cases. Nice

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
violence begets violence.
abuse begets abuse.

that is what you are giving an A+ and cheering about ????

it is the bar room brawl mentality.
it takes far more guts, maturity, and class to walk away from an altercation.
It’s an astute use of a GIF showcasing a pivotal scene from a famous movie (so far as I know, Sidney Poitier was not harmed in the making of that production). truth_teller’s posts are usually deadly serious, so I can appreciate his invocation of some humor.

That’s all.

Again, I was not commenting on the spirit of the sentiment.

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
truth_teller’s posts are usually deadly serious, so I can appreciate his invocation of some humor.
Explain where there was / is "humor" in a white and black man slapping each other.

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Explain where there was / is "humor" in a white and black man slapping each other.
It’s. A. Scene. From. A. Famous. Movie. Depicting. Minimal. Levels. Of. Violence. Out-of-context, it could be reasonably mistaken for Three Stooges-style slapstick.

Leave it to a goy to have no sense of humor or appreciation of pop culture throwbacks, although that doesn’t explain Tzaph’s reaction.

In any event, since it apparently needs to be explicitly stated, I do not now support, nor have I ever supported, slapping as a method of resolving conflict, including (and perhaps even especially) when such slaps contain overt racial overtones.

Keep calm, and carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality