Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:04 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How could anyone today possibly know the style of preaching that Jesus might have used? Afterall, there's no videos of any of his sermons and I don't recall that the Bible ever describes his behavior while he was preaching, it doesn't even tell us what he looked like.
The writers quite aptly described Him at various times during His mission. There were times when He was angry (the temple) and times when He wept. Read the context behind what He says and try to imagine how He delivered His sermons. I don't believe that He shouted very many of them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Quote:
Shana my parents have that video. There are several great performances on it.
I had it too, Liliblu, but can't find it. I love all of the songs that they sing on it and I am always encouraged when I see sister Burke singing. I think that it is very uplifing to others, especially to the young people in the choir. Thanks for sharing and God bless.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
It is very rare for a preacher in the church of Christ to shout, and they never 'scream'. When I do hear one shout at the members from a pulpit, it seems to me to be quite disrespectful. I avoid patronizing such a preacher. There is a young man who brings lessons at a yearly lectureship locally. I always go if possible, but avoid the time of that young man's lesson, because he is so loud it hurts my ears...literally.
Hi Marian, I have attended church of Christ congregations where the minister shouted or raised his voice. God bless.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,741 times
I love this song by Frank Williams and the Mississippi Mass Choir. You could tell Frank was sick when you watched the video. This isn't the video, but the song is wonderful and has so much emotion.

YouTube - Your Grace And Mercy: Lead by Frank Williams

Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,482,659 times
It is all about forms of expression. But its all for the same purpose, isn't it? I grew up in church, a black church and this was the norm- charisma often displayed by loud yells and vocals, sometimes supported by the church organ or the streaming hum of the choir. Some of the best gospel music I have ever heard. It is typical, especially in southern, black churches. As I got older I visited other churches, other denominations and it was such an enlightening experience. I have attended services where there was not as so much an Amen-contrary to what I was used to. Everyone serves in their own way. I will be attending a Presbyterian church in the morning for my god daughter's christening. I am looking forward to it.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:14 PM

This is one of my fav songs, Liliblu! I cry every time I hear it...I was looking for it awhile ago. Thanks so much for sharing!!

There were times, when I just didn't do right
But you watched over me both day and night... Amen

God bless.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The writers quite aptly described Him at various times during His mission. There were times when He was angry (the temple) and times when He wept. Read the context behind what He says and try to imagine how He delivered His sermons. I don't believe that He shouted very many of them at all.
He may have at some, Urbanlemur, especially when addressing and commanding the multitudes. I did see some examples in John 7 where Jesus cried out in the temple. .

Quote:
It is all about forms of expression. But its all for the same purpose, isn't it?

Amen. Personally, I prefer the more laid back deliveries, having sensitive ears but I can worship in a congregation where the sermon and songs are louder. I agree, it's all for the same purpose...

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-07-2008 at 10:30 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 10:38 PM

23 posts, read 67,059 times
Default "If only everybody would. . ."

Many, many times throughout my life I have heard others say, and I have also said, "If only everybody would. . ." and the sentence is usually completed with anything imaginable, and usually the ending leaves the one who started the sentence feeling somehow superior in some way. The person posing a question starting like that often will find themselves disappointed because everybody is never ever going to do something, and especially not in the same way. Thankfully. There are many ways that people can learn a message, some people are very visual, some people learn best by listening. Volume of a message is probably also a matter of preference. I have only limited cable, yet I can always find several channels, with a vast array of preachers, with an immense range of volume. The loudest ones aren't always black. Just recently a relative of mine showed me some family genealogy she has been tracing: she has traced one of our relatives back to 1044. I feel extra small in the scheme of things now, we are such a small part, yet important part of everything that has happened and will happen. It's funny but that date has made me feel like seeing some things, and doing some things that might not have interested me so much before, just to see other places and experience the people from other places, and learn about different traditions. Maybe it's not for me, but I think I should know about, and experience many things that might not be what I necessarily need. But why would I wonder why it would not be exactly what someone else might live for.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 AM

Liliblu, do you and your mom listen to the Canton Spirituals?

YouTube - The Canton Spirituals - Tighten Up The Rope

Pops has passed on, but I love to listen to him and always will. God bless.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,553,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Marian, I have attended church of Christ congregations where the minister shouted or raised his voice. God bless.
Just curious...was it a white or a black c of Christ ? I have never been to any church that is black. There is none in the area's that I live/have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality